Ipad Apps for Med School - What you like and why.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MetalloBetalactamase

vaxn8 ya dammt kids dammt!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ipad apps for Med School - What Apps do you like and why. Post a review of your favorite Apps that relate to Med School (i.e. No games etc). Tell us why you like them, what you use them for, and how much they cost. Are they Apple approved, or did you jailbreak your ipad?

The subject has been covered before, but since Apps change and new ones are added, I thought we could open this subject up again.

Cheers,

Your favorite plasmid product.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
let me guess....incoming OMS-I?
Yep. Hacked it though 3 years of Microbio as an undergrad on my ipad, and am now a veteran of the three hour sleep day. I have won a few struggles and lost a few App wise, and have loved and prospered by this 1/2 kilo wonder of Asian slave labor. I wonder what my fellow ipadees are using in their classes, in a serious way.

Members don't see this ad :)
8hr sleep ftw

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Notability, Dropbox, Documents. Some people like Evernote

Reactions: 2 users
Notability to take notes, Figure 1 just because it's cool to look through and relate back to class, Murmur Pro to listen to heart sounds.

I haven't started school yet but I used Notability for my undergrad. I didn't even bring a pen and paper to class, just my iPad and a stylus. I know med school will be different but I am pretty sure it will still be my go to app.

Notability to annotate lecture slides and handouts, etc

Evernote for saving notes, business cards, clipping interesting webpages, etc

Week cal - integrates with my google calendar

I'm a heavy user of omnifocus. It's quite expensive ($40) for the iPad. I only use it on my iPhone cause the app was cheaper.

Dropbox - synced with notability and used for general cloud storage

Scanner pro by readdle - expensive (I got it free during Xmas sale) but it really comes in handy since I like to stay paperless and you upload things to Dropbox, Evernote, etc - I use it more so with my iPhone and they have a faxing feature which you think you'll never use but It will come in handy one day

Documents (free) by readdle is nice, but I don't use it often

As for medical apps, so far I have medscape (free). I might use essential anatomy 4 ($25) to supplemental anatomy since you are able to manipulate different parts of the body in 3D

Flipboard - rss/news feed hub

Day one - I keep a journal sometimes. It's $5 I think but sure cause I got it for free during a sale

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Another vote for Drop Box here. Type my notes up in one place, can review them on all my devices.

Also really liked the Mental Case flashcard app.

When you get on the wards, for sure buy Mediquations. Totally worth the $3 or $4 I paid for it. Every medical equation you can think of.

I've grabbed Notability now, Essent. anat. looks good, I like the idea of keeping a journal esp. as a professional journal. Great idea. I have Kdans PDF organizer right now, but I don't like the annotation capacity. I'm going to put notability to the test here. I would add that I have Voice Dream to boost reading, I. Read along with the voice over. I find I have to manipulate pronunciation every now and then, but it helps with ADHD like tendencies that I'm working......hey squirrel!

Greatest feature about notability - when you record within the app, you can re watch how you annotated the file alongside the voice recording of the lecture.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Med School Apps I have on my ipad:

Epocrates + Bugs/Drugs
UpToDate: I got it free through my school. I get letters in the mail asking me to subscribe for the student price of $99/yr.
Micromedex: if I want more info on a particular drug.
Dropbox/Google Drive: I mostly use my Western Digital My Cloud app. One place, tons (more than you'll ever need) of space, all files accessible with internet connection. My class uses Google Drive for info sharing.
M1 Anatomy: Visible Body. Didn't use it much but liked it when I did. There are other apps that do the same thing.
Medical Calculator app
UWorld App

Figure 1: You guys have to get this, incoming and current students alike. It's a really cool app, essentially Instagram for physicians with explanations and discussions of interesting pathology. Highly recommended for killing time and working on radiographs, MRIs, and CTs.

Dropbox: This is key, especially if your class shares a class box.

MedPulse by Medscape: Great source of medical news for med students and you can filter by specialty. Medscape app is another good one.

Blackboard: If you school uses it...

Canopy: Free medical translator app with some pretty best features.

Firecracker: Oh yah, how exciting. The app is in beta testing now for iOS and Android and will be out soon for all hopefully.

Epocrates: Not an M1 essential but pretty cool once your start learning drugs/M3 and beyond

SelfControl: This is for your computer - it locks you out of websites for a given amount of time. SDN is on the blacklist for sure.

VLC Player: Watch lectures on high speed on your tablet

AOA: Be a good lil aspiring DO, just don't read JAOA...

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I deleted the AOA app right after I downloaded it. More space for Goljan audio.

Do you guys think 16gb is enough? I plan to just use it for school/ school related things. I already bought 16 gb, but my school said they recommend 64 gb. I'm trying to figure out if I should sell mine to go with the bigger capacity.

not to highjack, but i used Notability and loved it and was thinking of getting iAnnotate or a better pdf reader that I can search through, has a table of contents feature, etc to make use of journal articles and texts as I start 3rd year. i have no problem spending $10 on something that is worth it, so does anyone have input on whether a better pdf reader would be worth it?

But on topic, visible body was fantastic in anatomy, Anki if you use it, notability, and quizlet app if you use it.

My current PDF manager is KDANS Conessueir. You an embed folders within folders like word, and can make limited notes. It can send to....a wide variety of other on board apps and email. I like it, but is is limited when it comes to making notes. It's great for cataloging documents and power points.

Last edited:
Notability to take notes and anki to learn everything.

Question about notability: I was trying it out before classes started and it wouldn't let me import ppts unless I opened them in keynote and saved them as PDFs first. Is there an easier way or is that the only way? Kinda frustrating considering it takes time to do.

Question about notability: I was trying it out before classes started and it wouldn't let me import ppts unless I opened them in keynote and saved them as PDFs first. Is there an easier way or is that the only way? Kinda frustrating considering it takes time to do.

I've been able to import ppt notes through Google drive.

I tried and it just says there's an error :(

I'm sorry about that. I'll tell you the steps that I used and maybe it's different than what you used. I drag the file to google drive -> open google drive on my Ipad -> select open in Notability -> it automatically starts converting the file using Google drive (or docs maybe) -> create new note. If you tried that and it didn't work, then maybe there's an issue with that ppt file for some reason.

I'm sorry about that. I'll tell you the steps that I used and maybe it's different than what you used. I drag the file to google drive -> open google drive on my Ipad -> select open in Notability -> it automatically starts converting the file using Google drive (or docs maybe) -> create new note. If you tried that and it didn't work, then maybe there's an issue with that ppt file for some reason.
Yeah I did that and it says it's forbidden lol UGHH I wish I knew how to fix this!

is anyone using the Netters ipad app? Trying to decide whether to spluge on it.

Also, if there is an anatomy app that you like better (perhaps NOVA), please let me know.

Bumping this thread; does anybody find Notability doesn't always import powerpoints accurately? Sometimes text is large and overlapping or some words get cut and the last part of the word is on the next line down etc. Sometimes a labeled image will have a distorted import and the arrows are all off so you end up having to go back to the powerpoint anyway to view it. I'm wondering if this is common? Another option is Goodnotes 4 which I have yet to try.

Ipad apps for Med School - What Apps do you like and why. Post a review of your favorite Apps that relate to Med School (i.e. No games etc). Tell us why you like them, what you use them for, and how much they cost. Are they Apple approved, or did you jailbreak your ipad?

The subject has been covered before, but since Apps change and new ones are added, I thought we could open this subject up again.

Cheers,

Your favorite plasmid product.

Preclerkship:

PDF Expert:Solid for reading, annotations, etc. $9.99
ANKI: Download Brosephelon"s Corrected Deck, its First AID, $24.99 (outstanding memorization tool if you commit early)
UWorld: Decent Platform, Free, don't download it until you need it, it's just the Qbank.
Netters: Pretty useful for anatomy because of the search feature which speeds up the studying process. $85.00 (it's the atlas in app form with extended features)

Anyways, whatever you choose, keep it simple and stay consistent! Ipads are not really a necessity until clerkship where they are used to use your downtime efficiently. They're nice because they're really fast for simple tasks like Google, PDFs, etc. I personally have a PC which I no longer use because of my Ipad. That being said, one mistake I made was to assume my Ipad was going to be my all-in-one study tool only to find out I was spending more time trying to incorporate it into my studying than using it to study. It'll be useful to read PDF's from, but using it to take notes real-time is kinda pointless given where the stylus quality/screen size is today. I'm an Apple fan, but if you want to buy something to take notes with by hand onto the screen, consider larger products more specifically designed for such a purpose.

Last edited:
is anyone using the Netters ipad app? Trying to decide whether to spluge on it.

Also, if there is an anatomy app that you like better (perhaps NOVA), please let me know.

I'd say Netters is the best considering it's Atlas is a required/recommended book at many schools meaning your school may even use its pictures for PPTs, etc. I don't know any of the others apps so take my word with a grain of salt, but I wouldn't trust apps that don't already have published atlases.

Last edited:
Are any of these apps iPad exclusive? I recently bought a used Surface Pro 3, and it would suck to find out that some of them are not available for this.

For the surface pro or surface book I'd recommend OneNote, Google Docs and associated apps, Anki, and Essential Anatomy.

Preclerkship:

PDF Expert:Solid for reading, annotations, etc. $9.99
ANKI: Download Brosephelon"s Corrected Deck, its First AID, $24.99 (outstanding memorization tool if you commit early)
UWorld: Decent Platform, Free, don't download it until you need it, it's just the Qbank.
Netters: Pretty useful for anatomy because of the search feature which speeds up the studying process. $85.00 (it's the atlas in app form with extended features)

Anyways, whatever you choose, keep it simple and stay consistent! Ipads are not really a necessity until clerkship where they are used to use your downtime efficiently. They're nice because they're really fast for simple tasks like Google, PDFs, etc. I personally have a PC which I no longer use because of my Ipad. That being said, one mistake I made was to assume my Ipad was going to be my all-in-one study tool only to find out I was spending more time trying to incorporate it into my studying than using it to study. It'll be useful to read PDF's from, but using it to take notes real-time is kinda pointless given where the stylus quality/screen size is today. I'm an Apple fan, but if you want to buy something to take notes with by hand onto the screen, consider larger products more specifically designed for such a purpose.
I'm trying to download bros deck and can't find the link. I just downloaded anki and can't find it anywhere.

Do you recommend making your own flashcards or using a pre-existing one?

The only pre-existing one I'd use is Brosencephalon's deck to study for step. It's always best to make your own flashcards because everyone makes what works for them. I know how I learn best so I make flashcards in a way that's most conducive to my learning style. If you have upper classmen who are willing to pass down their flashcards and you find them helpful then by all means use them. I'm just not the type of person that can study using other people's notes and flashcards.

Essential Anatomy is great. Wouldn't have made it through anatomy without it, and it's cheap as ****.

Completely agree. If y'all have ipads then I would recommend getting it on there. The touchscreen function complements the use of the app very well. Essential Anatomy 5 is the latest version they have, but for some reason you can only get it on ios or on a mac. The windows and android versions are behind. Also, if you don't need it now then wait for their sales. I got it when it was like 99 cents last summer. Now it's back to full price on the ipad ($25), which still isn't too bad.

Completely agree. If y'all have ipads then I would recommend getting it on there. The touchscreen function complements the use of the app very well. Essential Anatomy 5 is the latest version they have, but for some reason you can only get it on ios or on a mac. The windows and android versions are behind. Also, if you don't need it now then wait for their sales. I got it when it was like 99 cents last summer. Now it's back to full price on the ipad ($25), which still isn't too bad.
Even at full price, it's a sixth of the cost of a textbook and twice as useful.

How far behind are the Windows and Android version? Are they still good enough to use them, or are they too outdated? Seeing Essential Anatomy 5 for iPad owners but only 3 for us non-iPad users seem a bit disheartening.

Last edited:
I think for Windows and Android they're at version 3. I honestly don't know what the difference is since the 5th is the only one that I've used. We were provided a MacBook and an iPad as part of our technology package so we didn't really have a choice in the matter. I liked the 5th version because you can isolate muscles and see videos of them in action independent of other muscles. They've got nifty little features like that on there that really really contributed to me acing anatomy.

I don't see why getting version 3 would give you any trouble though. It's cheaper and still has nearly 5 stars in their respective app stores. Check it out and see what you think! I'm sure you'll still get a lot of good use out of it.

Does it have a testing feature? What makes it so useful for you?
It's a human skeleton you can view in layers, rotate in three dimensions, and see the movement of each muscle individually. It's very user friendly, and allows you to see things that, even on a cadaver, would be virtually impossible otherwise.

This may be slightly off topic, but still relates. With all the apps (Essential Anatomy, Anki, OneNote...), powerpoints, PDF's, etc. which size iPad would you guys recommend? I'm trying to decide between 128GB and 256GB. How full did your iPads get during the year?

This may be slightly off topic, but still relates. With all the apps (Essential Anatomy, Anki, OneNote...), powerpoints, PDF's, etc. which size iPad would you guys recommend? I'm trying to decide between 128GB and 256GB. How full did your iPads get during the year?

We were issued 16gb iPad Mini 2's. I only used it for school so I didn't have any music, movies or games on there. Didn't run into any issues except for when it came time to downloading quizzes on examsoft. On one occasion I couldn't download a quiz on time because the app said I didn't have enough storage space (despite still having like 500+ mb of free space). There isn't enough storage capacity to store all your textbooks and slides for the entire school year on there if you're going to get the 16 or 32 gb versions. I just transferred onto the iPad what I needed for each exam and then deleted them when the next one came around and I needed more storage space. If you're getting something like the 128gb iPad then I think you'll be fine. That's way more than enough memory.

It's a human skeleton you can view in layers, rotate in three dimensions, and see the movement of each muscle individually. It's very user friendly, and allows you to see things that, even on a cadaver, would be virtually impossible otherwise.

100% agree. This app was a life save for someone with no anatomy background from undergrad. It was amazing to get a good mental map of the vessels and nerves and this app actually shows how they course through the muscles (you can actually fade out the muscles where you can see them but they are transparent while highlighting the nerve or vessel).

You can also upgrade the app which allows you to actually see specific surfaces of bones and view videos of the actions of each muscle.

I used Essential Anatomy, lecture ppts, UMichigan Anatomy Practical Quizzes, and SUNY Downstate online anatomy practicals and did just fine in the anatomy section of year 1.

Is there anyone here who used Essential Anatomy 3 that can briefly vouch for the same features Texasmedic mentioned for 5? Those seem like really nifty features, and I really want those.

Also, going to 99 cents from 9.99 seems like a really huge discount for Essential Anatomy. How frequently do they have the sales?

Is there anyone here who used Essential Anatomy 3 that can briefly vouch for the same features Texasmedic mentioned for 5? Those seem like really nifty features, and I really want those.

Also, going to 99 cents from 9.99 seems like a really huge discount for Essential Anatomy. How frequently do they have the sales?
3 isn't all that different from 4 or 5. I had 4, friends on Android had 3, I didn't notice any big differences.