iPad vs laptop for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RynoTheGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at computer options for residency. After joyfully giving up the archaic dinosaur I've had for the last 4 years, I'm looking at computing options for residency. I've seen many residents with ipads and it got me thinking of just using something like the iPad Air w/ 64 or 128gb worth of storage and using that for all of my computing needs. Is this feasible for residency? I've used an ipad in the past as a stand alone "laptop" and it worked well for internet/word processing, etc. which is really all that I need a computer for anyway. What says the hive? iPad or laptop?

Members don't see this ad.

You are going to have to create Powerpoints during residency. While this is possible on an ipad, it is easier on a laptop - particularly multimedia content. I would get a laptop. Medical apps will run just cine on a cell phone abd an ipad has a tendency to walk away in the hospital.

get a chromebook instead, cheap, light and fast. can do everything on them (except gaming).

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at computer options for residency. After joyfully giving up the archaic dinosaur I've had for the last 4 years, I'm looking at computing options for residency. I've seen many residents with ipads and it got me thinking of just using something like the iPad Air w/ 64 or 128gb worth of storage and using that for all of my computing needs. Is this feasible for residency? I've used an ipad in the past as a stand alone "laptop" and it worked well for internet/word processing, etc. which is really all that I need a computer for anyway. What says the hive? iPad or laptop?

iPad is doable. As an experiment at some point last year I tried using just my iPad for all work for a couple of weeks. Was fine. Made several presentations, did all my EM reading on it just fine (as well as the usual emails/browsing etc) and even signed a contract on it. Eventually had to go back to laptop for non residency related tasks. If you don't do a lot of video/photo editing and don't mind sometimes having to find some work arounds, iPad is doable as sole computer.

Not a resident, and typically an apple guy (2 Macs, 2 iPads and iPhones).

I just bought a Microsoft Surface for some of my photography stuff that only runs on windows (I do deep space astrophotography, so some of the telescope control requires windows)...it's slick. Functions as a tablet and full windows based. Won't replace either Mac but for portability and functionality, it's great

I'm interested in hearing what else people have to say about this Surface Pro gig.
I want one because my existing laptop is a bit weak in the processing power department, and I want one because.... I want one. It looks slick on the ads.

Surface is slick. Like I said, it'll never replace my iMac or MacBook which we do our day to day stuff on, but as a tablet it's powerful, runs full windows for some of my imaging needs, and with the keyboard cover, makes a nice travel laptop that's not really laptop like ( my wife usual needs our MacBook when I hit the road, so this does a nice job).

I'm a huge apple person but I wouldn't hesitate to buy the surface again

While we're on the topic of tech, I think this is worthy of mention: I really don't think we can kiss the CD-ROM "goodbye", at least yet. I have a HP Pavilion G7 laptop and an ASUS Transformer T700FT. My laptop has a CD/DVD drive. For my birthday, I went snorkeling with Manatees down here in Florida. The tour guide would snorkel with you, and snap photos with an underwater camera. At the end, you had the option to buy a photo CD of the trip. Hells yes. BOOM... if I had no CD-ROM drive, I'd have no way to view the pics.

Last year, I bought the wife a new tablet/laptop 2-in-1 device. Its slick, but has no CD-ROM drive... now, I have to put photos from my lappy onto a thumbdrive for her to have them.

I also buy a lot of obscure music (Native American, Pan-flute, Russian Folk Music, etc) from Amazon.com and there's no direct digital download... I still get the CD in the mail.

I want a Surface, but I also need a portable CD or DVD-ROM drive as well, I guess. Thank God for USB ports.

I use my iPad for everything except lectures which I like to have a dual monitor set up for anyway so I use a desktop for that.