Technology iPad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
So many potential replies, but I don't want to get banned over a post in, of all places, the "Technology Forum." That would just be wrong.

So many potential replies, but I don't want to get banned over a post in, of all places, the "Technology Forum." That would just be wrong.
Myself included... although chocolate sauce is... well I'm leaving that alone

So what's this about an iPad? is it a giant tampon or something? Used for heavy flow days

So like I am sure many of you I am debating getting the iPad but I wonder a couple things.

a. if I have .pdf texts will I be able to use them on it? I know on my iphone I can READ .pdfs but I want to see them in the "books" section and save them to the ipad
b. stylus? Are they going to add one and maybe an app for editing powerpoints? I'd be allllll over this if they did.

Anyone know anything about either of these two things?

To tell you the truth, and this has probably been discussed to death already, I just don't see the point to the ipad. If you want to read books get a proper ereader with eink technology -- I just got mine (see the Nook thread) and I'm pretty impressed with it.

If you want to edit powerpoints, edit documents, wouldn't a netbook be better? They are cheaper, they come with a keyboard, they are not limited in function (you can run full-blown PC software), and they have flash?

What is the ipad actually good for, someone please fill me in, because I am clueless at this stage why anyone would want to buy one (I'm assuming you're not an Apple fanboy).

What is the ipad actually good for, someone please fill me in, because I am clueless at this stage why anyone would want to buy one

Time will tell, but when it's initially available, the iPad will be good for pretty much anything that an iPod Touch is good for, with the addition of a larger screen.

Many folks (myself included) expect to see lots of medical applications designed specifically for the iPad coming out in short order.

To tell you the truth, and this has probably been discussed to death already, I just don't see the point to the ipad. If you want to read books get a proper ereader with eink technology -- I just got mine (see the Nook thread) and I'm pretty impressed with it.

If you want to edit powerpoints, edit documents, wouldn't a netbook be better? They are cheaper, they come with a keyboard, they are not limited in function (you can run full-blown PC software), and they have flash?

What is the ipad actually good for, someone please fill me in, because I am clueless at this stage why anyone would want to buy one (I'm assuming you're not an Apple fanboy).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't do the following with ebooks (I know I can't with my Kindle):

- surf the web
- check email
- access apps (such as ePocrates, PEPID, etc.)

Those are the reasons I want an iPad. I'm not writing a novel or a dissertation, so reading/writing emails, writing short notes, etc. isn't lengthy enough to require a notebook (which I already own).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't do the following with ebooks (I know I can't with my Kindle):

- surf the web
- check email
- access apps (such as ePocrates, PEPID, etc.)

Those are the reasons I want an iPad. I'm not writing a novel or a dissertation, so reading/writing emails, writing short notes, etc. isn't lengthy enough to require a notebook (which I already own).

If that was the case wouldn't the iphone be a better fit? Its portable, you can surf the web, you can check e-mail on the go, and you can also access apps thanks to ipad/iphone cross-compatibility. Oh, and you can make phone calls to boot. Why lug around such a device that is so heavy you won't even be able to hold up in your hand for long periods of time?

Ebook readers are good for one thing -- and thats for reading without eye-strain! -- btw, you can mod the Nook (since its based on the Android OS) if you want web browsing, RSS feeds, etc. If I need to do all those other things you mentioned above, I use my phone, or a computer.

I've also heard that if you battery dies you'll have to pay Apple 99 USD to fix it up for you where they'll give you a refurbished unit with your data wiped. Hows that for consumer friendly.

If that was the case wouldn't the iphone be a better fit? Its portable, you can surf the web, you can check e-mail on the go, and you can also access apps thanks to ipad/iphone cross-compatibility. Oh, and you can make phone calls to boot. Why lug around such a device that is so heavy you won't even be able to hold up in your hand for long periods of time?

Ebook readers are good for one thing -- and thats for reading without eye-strain! -- btw, you can mod the Nook (since its based on the Android OS) if you want web browsing, RSS feeds, etc. If I need to do all those other things you mentioned above, I use my phone, or a computer.

I've also heard that if you battery dies you'll have to pay Apple 99 USD to fix it up for you where they'll give you a refurbished unit with your data wiped. Hows that for consumer friendly.
I'm pretty sure that that would be free while covered under warrantee. What happens if your battery dies on your nook? What is the exact policy for fixing that?

Also if using it in a clinical setting using an iPad would be way better than an iPad/iPhone for viewing charts, xrays and what not

I'm pretty sure that that would be free while covered under warrantee. What happens if your battery dies on your nook? What is the exact policy for fixing that?

Also if using it in a clinical setting using an iPad would be way better than an iPad/iPhone for viewing charts, xrays and what not

The nook's battery is user replaceable and is on sale for $30.00; oh and while we're on the topic of battery, one of the advantages of e-ink tech is that you hardly have to charge the device. The nook goes on for over a week w/o a recharge -- the ipad's is 10 hrs I believe?

As for using the iPad in a clinical setting, read this:

http://www.ozemedicine.com/blog/?p=862
Apple’s new iPad – sorry, Apple fans, it doesn’t look like it’s going to make it in ED

Members don't see this ad :)

I have an iPhone. Surfing the web and reading emails can be cumbersome because of the small screen.

By the time I need a new battery I will likely purchase a new iPad. I use my iPhone pretty heavily and have never had an issue with the battery in the past 2 years.

I have an iPhone. Surfing the web and reading emails can be cumbersome because of the small screen.

By the time I need a new battery I will likely purchase a new iPad. I use my iPhone pretty heavily and have never had an issue with the battery in the past 2 years.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you web surf and e-mail read?

If you're on the go, again, wouldn't the iphone be a better fit because of its portability?

If you're a cafe type person; wouldn't a netbook be a better fit because you don't have software restrictions, you have a full working keyboard, and you have a larger screen? Oh, and most netbooks come with a built in camera.

If you're going to use it at home, and you need to check e-mail or surf the net, can't you just do that on your computer?

I still can't find the exact purpose of the device -- sure it does many things, but I don't think it does it exceptionally well.

For example -- touch screen web browser might be great, but it doesn't even have basic flash function? And you can't add functionality to the web browser like what Firefox and Chrome have been supporting thus far?

-- Office suite -- great, but kind of useless unless you get an addon keyboard which again will cost $$. A netbook has all of that and it cost less.

e-reader -- great, an online book store -- more competition for Amazon and Barnes and Nobles, but reading from the screen is no different from reading from an LCD.

Space -- sure 16 gigs sounds like a lot on paper, but when you have all this media floating around its going to run out fast. What then? Ooops, looks like you'll have to buy another ipad and apple has your money again. Why don't they just build an SD-card slot -- my ereader has one, most netbooks have one, so why not the ipad?

I plan to use it while on the exercise bike at the gym. Excellent way to surf the web.

Also will likely use it lounging on the couch.

If I was living on a budget, I wouldn't dare try to buy one. Thankfully that's not a problem. For a student, the iPad is probably too expensive to justify.

As for using the iPad in a clinical setting, read this:

http://www.ozemedicine.com/blog/?p=862
Apple's new iPad – sorry, Apple fans, it doesn't look like it's going to make it in ED

First off, it's the ED. There are lots of other medical settings where many of the issues they cited are less important.

* resistance to dust and liquids for disinfecting

I'm sure somebody will develop a protective cover for the iPad, and it probably won't take long, either.

* user authentication such as fingerprint or RFID

Not really a requirement. Lots of hospital devices rely simply on passwords.

* barcode reader for patient identification

There are already adapters coming out that will let you connect devices to the iPad through the dock connector. It's not out of the realm of possibility that somebody will come up with a barcode reader adapter, assuming there's a need and an application that requires one.

* integrated camera or at least an SD card reader transfer photos from a camera for improved documentation

Again, not strictly "necessary," but likely possible using an adapter. See the following link: http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/01/2...s-missing-sd-card-slot-and-usb-port-adapters/

* voice to text dictation

I agree that the iPad is probably not well suited to this, but a good touch-screen interface minimizes the need for typing or speech recognition.

* ability to run hospital software – almost no enterprise-wide medical software will run on Apple iPhone operating system

If they can use Citrix, they might: http://community.citrix.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=115343605

I think that article is dismissing the iPad a little prematurely.

I think that article is dismissing the iPad a little prematurely.

Of course it is, people like to criticize things that they don't understand even if they've never used one. They did this with the iPhone when the iPhone was announced. I doubt the Apple haters would stop anytime soon.

Although Apple is in the top 3 most valuable companies in the USA, maybe that's why they hate them so much

If you presume that tablets, at some point, will be commonly used devices in clinical settings, especially among physicians, then any device that can get a jump on the competition by showing up in the hands of users will probably solidify its presence.

If you look at the hardware & platform specs, there is really no reason why you should see iPhones much less iPod Touches being commonly used in clinical settings. There's no memory slot and no handwriting input. It is not water resistant nor does it have any significant security features. The device only got a voice memo recorder last year. The screen is big for a smartphone but small for data-retrieval. And, the OS is not compatible with any HIM system that I can think of. A netbook would seem more appropriate. All of the marketing for these devices are geared towards lifestyle users and people who play games.

However, the individual functionality, relatively low price, and ease of use make iPhone OS devices a clear winner in the healthcare setting. The iPad builds off of this dominance even more with practically 100% compatibility with all of the existing medical iPhone OS apps. Imagine that - no waiting for your favorite clinical app to be ported over to your new device. How often can you say that?

There's a tremendous first-mover advantage in the clinical setting. Even though the Newton was the first PDA in some doctor's hands, the Palm Pilot was the first one with any real success. Palm OS dominated the healthcare user segment for well over a decade (with outdated technology) before Palm stumbled horribly with smartphone development.

Clinical users have been waiting for tablets to show up in common use for over a decade. After receiving preorders, Apple is planning on shipping 5 million iPads by the end of the year.

Last edited:
However, the individual functionality, relatively low price, and ease of use make iPhone OS devices a clear winner in the healthcare setting. The iPad builds off of this dominance even more with practically 100% compatibility with all of the existing medical iPhone OS apps. Imagine that - no waiting for your favorite clinical app to be ported over to your new device. How often can you say that?

Then people should stick with the iPhone until specific functional ipad apps come out. I reiterate my stance that I don't see a purpose of the ipad -- *yet*. Other devices do what the ipad can more efficiently and at a cheaper price.

We'll have to see how it plays out within the next few years -- if Apple can slash prices, add in a camera, and have an SD-card slot (hopeful wishing!) then they might have a winner.

I'll be waiting to see if Apple can really ship 5 million ipads by the end of the year, and if there is mass adoption at their $500 price point. The iphone is $99. Over here I can get a 3GS 32 GB for an extra 15 AUD/month, 2 year contract. And people here wonder why theres such a high adoption rate over here in Oz :cool:

congrats, I personally would never buy 1st gen apple products. Did it for the iphone (now it only functions as an ipod), and did it for the apple macbook black (lots and lots of problems including 1. motherboard failure 2. battery failure 3. crack top case)

In fact, the only apple hardware I've really been happy about is my Apple 20" LCD (functions to this day w/o any problem, however, still w/o its faults -- can't plug in HDCP signals like the PS3), and the 12" Aluminium powerbook, which was a BEAUTY.

The perfect size, weight, man oh man....i traded it for the macbook black though cause intel was in fashion and the machine was getting mighty slow.

Apple should just screw this whole ipad thing, give me a netbook in a 10-12" form and i'm sold. Open software please.

ABC World News Tonight did a segment on the iPad. Now I want one. But I don't need it. Deep breathing...don't. need. iPad. Repeat frequently.

But I really do want one. The keyboard function is cool.

ABC World News Tonight did a segment on the iPad. Now I want one. But I don't need it. Deep breathing...don't. need. iPad. Repeat frequently.

But I really do want one. The keyboard function is cool.
WTF?

I told you, you didn't listen. I knew you were going to get bit with the bug

You drank the kool-aid and you didn't even know what you were getting yourself into
A few reviews for you to read.

http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20100331/apple-ipad-review/
http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/2134139,ihnatko-ipad-apple-review-033110.article
http://www.macdailynews.com/index.p...fun_stunning_and_blazingly_fast_its_a_winner/

Well wait three weeks and go to an apple store and play with one... you will find yourself 500 poorer but with a new electronic doodad
Such is the life of a tech-addict.

Hi, I'm 1UP and I'm a tech-addict...

Luckily I'm not a Macite, otherwise i would be far more poor than I am now.

iPads are for grannies.

Seriously though, no multi-tasking? Windows Mobile 6.0 comes with multi tasking.

If you want to do some serious work I suggest you get a netbook for less (and you get more). If you want to do some ereading I suggest you get a Kindle or the Nook. If you want to listen to music I suggest you get the iPhone/Ipod.

Are all our bases covered?

If you want to do some serious work I suggest you get a netbook for less (and you get more). If you want to do some ereading I suggest you get a Kindle or the Nook. If you want to listen to music I suggest you get the iPhone/Ipod.

Are all our bases covered?

So, you suggest we buy three devices instead of one...? :idea:

Incidentally, using the words "serious work" and "netbook" in the same sentence tells me that you probably don't own the one, and don't do the other.

So, you suggest we buy three devices instead of one...? :idea:

Incidentally, using the words "serious work" and "netbook" in the same sentence tells me that you probably don't own the one, and don't do the other.

reiterating what I said previously, I stated that the ipad might be a good multipurpose device, but it doesn't do many of its advertised functions very well.

Sure its an ipod, but do I really want to lug an ipad along to listen to music? Can you imagine going to the gym with your ipad?? :laugh:

Sure I have office productivity suites, but I still have to sync them to a main computer??

Sure its reads books, but an ereader device does it better, cheaper, and doesn't hurt your eyes in the process.

Overall will these multiple devices cost less then an ipad? Assuming that you will use all of these functions --

1. iPhone -- music, surfing on the go -- $99.00
2. ebook reader -- $260.00 (Kindle or Nook)

And I'm assuming you have a computer or laptop already so theres no need to fork out extra cash. However, you can get a pretty decent one with multi-tasking, a decent OS (Windows 7 anyone?), web browsers that can use flash for 200-300 USD. Lets not forget for the ipad you'll have to shell out extra for the keyboard. Oh, and netbooks these days all come with a camera.

When the ipad drops to < $300 then maybe I'll be interested, but right now it seems like a rich-mans toy.

I guess thats the difference from being a student, and out of your dermatology residency :)

No I don't own a netbook, but I do see all the pharmacists lug around theirs on morning rounds looking up patient lab values -- and that would be considered serious enough work for me.

ipad might be a good multipurpose device, but it doesn't do many of its advertised functions very well.

Clearly, that's a matter of opinion. The reviews so far are overwhelmingly positive.

ebook reader -- $260.00 (Kindle or Nook)

Now that's overpriced.

I don't own a netbook, but I do see all the pharmacists lug around theirs on morning rounds looking up patient lab values -- and that would be considered serious enough work for me.

Accessing information requires very little in the way of computing horsepower. In fact, it's exactly the kind of thing that the iPad will do extremely well.

Clearly, that's a matter of opinion. The reviews so far are overwhelmingly positive.

Now that's overpriced.

Accessing information requires very little in the way of computing horsepower. In fact, it's exactly the kind of thing that the iPad will do extremely well.

I think 260 is reasonable for an ereader -- you get WiFi + 3g (free if you're in the US) built in, and screen technology IMHO that is superior over LCD. Color ereader screens should be in the horizon in the near future.

I don't think the iPad will do so well in our hospitals --

1. Software is closed, does not multi-task, and unable to run custom software.
2. Touch pad typing? You might be proficient at touch typing, but I'm telling you right now that there are more people proficient at typing on a real physical keyboard.
3. Ipad looks like it could break easily. Lol, I can imagine the state of the machine after a month use. Until they can work on the industrial design, I see lots of foreseeable problems.

How about the iPhone or iPod Touch? It has a closed app system with no multitasking, virtual keyboard and breaks if you drop it. Do you think it will do well in hospitals?

Software is closed, does not multi-task, and unable to run custom software.

"Unable to run custom software...?" You're kidding, right? Have you seen the app store?

You might be proficient at touch typing, but I'm telling you right now that there are more people proficient at typing on a real physical keyboard.

Typing is typing. A well-written tablet application will minimize the need for keyboard input, anyway.

Ipad looks like it could break easily.

So...get a protective case, if you're worried that you might drop it. This is no different than any other electronic device.

I can type better on an iPad than an iPhone or an eBook/Kindle reader (wait, I can't really type many purposeful things on those).

I could carry a laptop around too, but it gets a little heavy.

omni, if I were a student like you, I probably wouldn't have the budget to buy an iPad and wouldn't dare dream of it.

I think 260 is reasonable for an ereader -- you get WiFi + 3g (free if you're in the US) built in, and screen technology IMHO that is superior over LCD. Color ereader screens should be in the horizon in the near future.

I don't think the iPad will do so well in our hospitals --

1. Software is closed, does not multi-task, and unable to run custom software.
2. Touch pad typing? You might be proficient at touch typing, but I'm telling you right now that there are more people proficient at typing on a real physical keyboard.
3. Ipad looks like it could break easily. Lol, I can imagine the state of the machine after a month use. Until they can work on the industrial design, I see lots of foreseeable problems.

Touchpad keyboards are way better than those mosquito-sized keys like they make on Crackberries and similar devices. I don't see how people type on those things.

Touchpad keyboards are way better than those mosquito-sized keys like they make on Crackberries and similar devices. I don't see how people type on those things.

And yet, they do.

For all you iPad doubters, I have two words for you: "Texas Pete"...it'll make your words taste better when you eat them. ;)

144.jpg

10" keyboard attached to the ipad would be akin to a full sized keyboard. But then it wouldn't be called an ipad.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/02/ipad-line-watch-the-few-the-proud/

iPad line watch: the few, the proud?

We just landed at Apple's 5th avenue flagship, "The Cube," and it's... a little bare. We count less than 15 people in line at this point (still headed by the inimitable Greg Packer), and most of them actually have pre-orders.

ipad-lineblog-01-top.jpg

What is it with you people? Don't like it? Don't want it? Don't buy it. Why spend so much energy badmouthing it? You're not going to dissuade people who are Mac users.

I don't get the negativity out there. Weird.

What is it with you people? Don't like it? Don't want it? Don't buy it. Why spend so much energy badmouthing it? You're not going to dissuade people who are Mac users.

I don't get the negativity out there. Weird.
Just jealous that windows tried a tablet like device and it failed miserably. If it ain't windows they want it to fail. I personally love OS X and it's ecosystem of products. That being said I would love for apple to have strong competition but so far any competition is lacking. Apple skates to where the puck will be, everyone else skates to where the puck was.