IPPE rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefulpharmgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm currently a P1 at a school in NY. I'm originally from California and would like to set up some of my future rotations out there. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach a pharmacist about becoming a preceptor? I would like to set up IPPE/APPE rotations at hospitals but I don't know how to go about setting them up.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone!

I'm currently a P1 at a school in NY. I'm originally from California and would like to set up some of my future rotations out there. Does anyone have any advice on how to approach a pharmacist about becoming a preceptor? I would like to set up IPPE/APPE rotations at hospitals but I don't know how to go about setting them up.

Thank you!

What part of CA are you from? I've tried to set up inpatient sites there without success because every hospital (in my area, LA/OC) seems to already be committed to pharmacy students from other schools (as you know, there are many of them). The other sites didn't reply. I just emailed the director of pharmacy and the ones who did reply were very nice about it. If you're from an area with less saturation hopefully you can set up something, I think the process is fairly simple as long as the hospital is willing to fill out paperwork.

What part of CA are you from? I've tried to set up inpatient sites there without success because every hospital (in my area, LA/OC) seems to already be committed to pharmacy students from other schools (as you know, there are many of them). The other sites didn't reply. I just emailed the director of pharmacy and the ones who did reply were very nice about it. If you're from an area with less saturation hopefully you can set up something, I think the process is fairly simple as long as the hospital is willing to fill out paperwork.

Thank you! I am from the LA/San Bernardino area so I have a feeling I will encounter the same problem. Have you tried doing any volunteer positions? I don't mind doing my rotations in NY but I would like to gain some contacts back in CA for future job references.

Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to your school..how do they handle this?

Honestly I'm in the same situation. I'm originally from CA (South Bay Area) to be exact. I was also looking to set up an IPPE 2 rotation in CA, but all of the hospitals and coordinators have flat out not responded. My school isn't very helpful in this aspect either. I would like to have some type of pharmacy experience in CA, as I eventually want to move back. Is there a way I put myself in a better position in the future?

Even if I cant do my IPPE 2 in CA, I would like to have majority of my APPEs in CA, can anyone assist me in my endeavors or am I doomed in Maryland?

To be honest, I don't think most places are going to bother with trying to set up IPPE rotations for students out of the state. You'll have better luck with trying to get APPE established for your P4 year. I would talk to your coordinator at your school to see the process but as stated above, CA is a heavily saturated state with lots of students, so it may just not be possible to set anything up. From my limited experience, most places contact a school in the state they want to do rotations at and get a list of available rotations after their students get dibs first and then you or your school can contact those preceptors to see if they're willing to take you.

Reactions: 1 user
I would agree with Goldfish. When they have 2-3 local pharmacy schools that they're committed to, it's difficult to accommodate students from out of the area. It depends on what you want to do after graduation, too. If you want to set up APPEs in retail, it's very easy to do, and your school should already have an agreement with corporate (I did my retail in CA). As for hospital, the best way I can think of to try to "move back" is just to do really well in your classes and on rotation, pick good acute care rotations (not always possible, but try), and come time for residencies, apply to as many programs in CA as you can. That's what I did, and I'm doing residency next year in CA. The Pacific Northwest is where I eventually want to be, but I am glad that I matched CA and be somewhat close to family for at least 1 year :)
Have you tried doing any volunteer positions?
I have not. It would be a good strategy if you could volunteer somewhere so that you can grab an intern job as they're available (I've known people who successfully landed intern jobs this way), but for short-term volunteering, most places don't really let you do anything more than the stocking, restocking, and run errands (and it makes sense for them not to).
My best advice would be to volunteer locally (where you go to school), and get a hospital job there. As I've said above, you can always go back to CA for residencies, and having an inpatient job is an immense boost for your application (having A job, any job, though, is still absolutely a boost over having none) :)