Irrelevant Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apoplexy__

Blood-and-thunder appearance
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I decided on Rad/Onc at the beginning of MS3, and now I'm frantically rushing to cram in research to make up for my already weak research background and D.O. degree.

How would residencies view research (abstract, presentations, or articles) on
-Brain gene expression (as in, normal expression not oncogenes/tumor suppressors)
-Neuropsychiatry of investing
-Healthcare reform effects on national epidemiology + hospital spending

I'm currently working or about to work on these projects and am wondering if I should push on or just stop and dedicate to oncological research. The last thing I need is for me to put further effort into something that will just be ignored by residency AdComs.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So I decided on Rad/Onc at the beginning of MS3, and now I'm frantically rushing to cram in research to make up for my already weak research background and D.O. degree.

How would residencies view research (abstract, presentations, or articles) on
-Brain gene expression (as in, normal expression not oncogenes/tumor suppressors)
-Neuropsychiatry of investing
-Healthcare reform effects on national epidemiology + hospital spending

I'm currently working or about to work on these projects and am wondering if I should push on or just stop and dedicate to oncological research. The last thing I need is for me to put further effort into something that will just be ignored by residency AdComs.

Thanks!

You need to get involved with radiation oncologists to do research with them.

You need to get involved with radiation oncologists to do research with them.

I'm currently doing Rad/Onc research, so that's not an issue. I'm just wondering if I should continue doing these other listed projects or just drop them. Are they worth my time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes its worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently doing Rad/Onc research, so that's not an issue. I'm just wondering if I should continue doing these other listed projects or just drop them. Are they worth my time?

If you will get a first author publication from them AND it won't slow down your rad onc research, then yes.

If it won't get you a first author or it will slow down the rad onc research, then drop it.

Just my 2 cents.

If you will get a first author publication from them AND it won't slow down your rad onc research, then yes.

If it won't get you a first author or it will slow down the rad onc research, then drop it.

Just my 2 cents.

As chief resident involved in resident admissions, I disagree. Any authorship of any peer-reviewed scientific paper will help you.

As chief resident involved in resident admissions, I disagree. Any authorship of any peer-reviewed scientific paper will help you.

I am inclined to agree admitting Im sure different places want different things. Sure, some places will put way more weight on Rad Onc specific work. But I think more often the best bet is to have at least one productive long-term project, even if its not rad onc related. I had zero rad onc research going into the match. I had a ton of neuropharmacology research that was very productive. I got interviews at almost all of the top research programs and matched at my number 1.

So you are talking about the third case:

Gets an authorship AND doesn't slow down rad onc.

Well then I guess its a judgement call based on how much work OP would have to put in to get his name somewhere on that list. Certainly if it isn't much work, then why not? But if it is going to be a lot of work, they'd be better off putting that time into something that will net them a first authorship.

I'm getting the gist of the general consensus here. Thanks for the input everyone.

I am inclined to agree admitting Im sure different places want different things. Sure, some places will put way more weight on Rad Onc specific work. But I think more often the best bet is to have at least one productive long-term project, even if its not rad onc related. I had zero rad onc research going into the match. I had a ton of neuropharmacology research that was very productive. I got interviews at almost all of the top research programs and matched at my number 1.

Very cool. Thanks for that anecdote about a long-term project -- that definitely applies to me.