Is 4 months enough to study for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Willotree

C/O 2021?
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is 4 months enough to study for the MCAT?
How many hours is recommended per week? I'm planning on studying the whole summer and taking it at the end of it.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally have a little bit over three months to study. I currently study 6 - 9 hours a day. 6 days a week. This is my first week.

From what I have read, people usually do 3 months. As far as hours to study per day, I think you can try it out yourself and see how far you can go. I also think how you study is more important.

Good luck to us!

Reactions: 1 user
If you study in the summer, you should aim for 50-60 hours a week or more. 4 months are more than enough. 3 months probably are enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
The SN2ed recommended schedule for the old MCAT was 3 month. Since the new one has more material, I'd say maybe a bit more than that, so 4 months-ish.

However, this really depends on your coursework: If you have taken very rigorous classes in Physics/Chemistry/Biology/Psychology etc., then you will spend way less time studying for the corresponding components on the MCAT. I didn't really spend that much time on PS and did a quick detail hunt-down for BS, and spent most time tackling verbal, so for me I did less than 2 months. If you have good coursework background then it won't take that long.

Four months is enough! Though, as others have said, really focus your four months to studying for the MCAT. It's too easy to slack in the summer.

Learn how to take the new MCAT, because from AAMC's 2015 Official Guide, it's much different than the old!

This is really a subjective thing. The time you have right now should be enough for a lot of people, but then it comes down to how you will feel at the end of it. I'd say register for the exam and then decide on it as the day approaches.