Is 9 FL practice MCATs too little? Is it bad to repeat one?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chromatic543

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have completed five FL MCATs already, and I have time to complete four more. I have been studying since June and have my MCAT in September. I started taking my FLs around the beginning of August, but I am not sure if I took too little or not. Also, it is bad to repeat a test, especially one that I did not score that well on?

I have taken:

TBR FL 1
TBR FL 2
TBR FL 3
EK FL 1
EK FL 2

Still plan on taking:

EK FL 4
TBR FL 4
AAMC Scored
AAMC ungraded

Members don't see this ad.

Not bad at all to repeat one.

After a few months, you might still retain some of the info from the old test, but going through everything again will still be excellent review. You'll be able to see exactly what you learned from your mistakes from the old one, assuming you wrote down what you missed, and why you missed it. And you'll hopefully never miss those questions again on the real thing!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the answer to this depends on how consistent your scores have been. Are they falling within the same range, or are they fluctuating wildly? If it's the latter, I would suggest buckling down and taking more FLs to become more consistent. If not, I'd focus your efforts elsewhere, like the section bank and reading scientific articles for comprehension.

Also, you MUST take the AAMC tests no matter what else you end up doing. I've found that they were far and away the most reliable score predictors.

I have completed five FL MCATs already, and I have time to complete four more. I have been studying since June and have my MCAT in September. I started taking my FLs around the beginning of August, but I am not sure if I took too little or not. Also, it is bad to repeat a test, especially one that I did not score that well on?

I have taken:

TBR FL 1
TBR FL 2
TBR FL 3
EK FL 1
EK FL 2

Still plan on taking:

EK FL 4
TBR FL 4
AAMC Scored
AAMC ungraded
The # practice exams isn't important. The only thing that matters is your score on each and whether or not there is an improvement between your first and last exams. If you are consistently scoring 515+ on your first 4-5 exams and the AAMC FL scored, there's no need for you to continue practicing unless you're aiming for a top 20. Those (like myself) who take 10+ practice exams do so because we've been out of college for a few years and need some serious content review and exam-taking practice.