Is 9 months of research good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkpeonies

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I originally wanted to apply this cycle but felt like my app was lacking when it came to experiences. For awhile my attention was mainly given to my academics (coursework + MCAT).

I have no research experience at all so I am looking for research positions right now but it seems that all labs are full for the summer so PIs have offered me an alternative of starting in September. I have some other obligations so I could probably work 10-12 hours a week.

I am looking to take the offer but I am wondering if 9 months will be enough to apply with come next cycle?
My strengths would be my clinical volunteering (250 hours, 2 years) and community service experiences (150 hours, 1.25 years) by the time of application. I also plan to shadow for around 200 hours with different specialities.

I am not aiming for top 20s as my stats don't make me a really competitive candidate for those schools (3.56/3.34 sGPA & 521 MCAT). I am aware my MCAT is strong but my GPAs are more mediocre.

I would like to really apply next cycle. Would 9 months of research be enough?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I originally wanted to apply this cycle but felt like my app was lacking when it came to experiences. For awhile my attention was mainly given to my academics (coursework + MCAT).

I have no research experience at all so I am looking for research positions right now but it seems that all labs are full for the summer so PIs have offered me an alternative of starting in September. I have some other obligations so I could probably work 10-12 hours a week.

I am looking to take the offer but I am wondering if 9 months will be enough to apply with come next cycle?
My strengths would be my clinical volunteering (250 hours, 2 years) and community service experiences (150 hours, 1.25 years) by the time of application..

I am not aiming for top 20s as my stats don't make me a really competitive candidate for those schools (3.56/3.34 sGPA & 521 MCAT). I am aware my MCAT is strong but my GPAs are more mediocre.

Thanks in advance.
For general purposes, even one semester can satisfy the purpose of demonstrating your curiosity and understanding of the scientific method. One academic year (about 9 months) is about the average listed.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but does it matter whether the research is basic or clinical?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but does it matter whether the research is basic or clinical?
Either could be used for the purpose of demonstrating your curiosity and understanding of the scientific method, so long as you have a good understanding of the overall project, even though your involvement may be one small part of it.

As long as you're not applying MD/PhD, nine months should be fine (provided you follow the guideline @Catalystik mentioned)

Reactions: 1 users
For general purposes, even one semester can satisfy the purpose of demonstrating your curiosity and understanding of the scientific method. One academic year (about 9 months) is about the average listed.

Thank you, that's relieving to hear. I have a few additional questions if you have some time.

1) I will likely not have any pubs as my role will likely be limited to helping graduate students with their projects. Is this alright or should I try to get "more" out of my experience? I ask because I don't think I have the time to take on my own project. I am interested in working in a basic science lab.

2) I know hours is less important but would 10-12 hours a week for 9 months be good enough or should I aim for more?

3) Would you recommend getting a PI LOR from this experience if the option is available? The PIs I have contacted seem nice and friendly enough so I believe the option will be available.

Thanks again for all your help!

Most people don't. It's hard enough for grad students to get publications!

1) I will likely not have any pubs as my role will likely be limited to helping graduate students with their projects. Is this alright or should I try to get "more" out of my experience? I ask because I don't think I have the time to take on my own project. I am interested in working in a basic science lab.

Work whatever is convenient for you. The key thing is that you're learning something about the scientific principal.
2) I know hours is less important but would 10-12 hours a week for 9 months be good enough or should I aim for more?

The research powerhouses seem to like them, but your professors are better judges of your academic potential. We're looking for good med students, not good grad students.
3) Would you recommend getting a PI LOR from this experience if the option is available? The PIs I have contacted seem nice and friendly enough so I believe the option will be available.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you, that's relieving to hear. I have a few additional questions if you have some time.

Thanks again for all your help!
1) What Goro said.

2) 5-10 hours is fine, and you might want to pre-negociate that you'd come in less during mid-terms and finals.

3) Yes.

My strengths would be my clinical volunteering (250 hours, 2 years) and community service experiences (150 hours, 1.25 years) by the time of application. I also plan to shadow for around 200 hours with different specialities.

Thanks in advance.

I think you have a good shot just apply early. also consider your chances of publishing and getting on the paper. i was in a lab for a year didn't publish anything. its kinda sad cause i have nothing to show for it except my knowledge and experience as opposed to a paper which would speak volumes about my contributions for me. it might not be worth it if you don't publish or present at a conference. if your chances are slim maybe try another lab. there are tons of labs that are constantly publishing. dont get taken advantage of.

the following year i got involved in an ortho department shadowing/volunteering. i networked and got involved with the fellows writing a paper. I have 2 papers out so far haha :D. just keep at it. i think the more time you spend endeavoring for it the more you'll learn and the more you'll understand the system and use it to your advantage.
pm me if you have more q's.

I think you have a good shot just apply early. also consider your chances of publishing and getting on the paper. i was in a lab for a year didn't publish anything. its kinda sad cause i have nothing to show for it except my knowledge and experience as opposed to a paper which would speak volumes about my contributions for me. it might not be worth it if you don't publish or present at a conference. if your chances are slim maybe try another lab. there are tons of labs that are constantly publishing. dont get taken advantage of.

the following year i got involved in an ortho department shadowing/volunteering. i networked and got involved with the fellows writing a paper. I have 2 papers out so far haha :D. just keep at it. i think the more time you spend endeavoring for it the more you'll learn and the more you'll understand the system and use it to your advantage.
pm me if you have more q's.

Is it that your name wasn't put on the paper, the project was never able to be finished, or the project took too long to finish? At certain stages in projects, its hard to tell when/if the work will lead to something tangible.

Were you able to get an LOR out of the lab? What did your work entail?