Is a 3.4 BCPM good for Allopathic schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megan801

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not taken the MCAT yet which I understand is an important number to know when assessing chances but I would like to know about this GPA. I will most likely have a 3.4 BCPM and a 3.65 overall GPA after this semester when I apply to medical schools. I will also have a lot of experience, shadowing, research, and volunteering. Am I on a good path to get a few acceptances?
Also, are there certain schools I should consider knowing my GPA will be around this number? Any advice would be appreciated.
Once again, I know the MCAT is a very important factor that can completely change any advice that could be given. I would just like to know how I am doing so far.
Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

3.4 is on the low end, but with a 3.65 overall gpa, I don't think it will hold you back from an acceptance somewhere, assuming your MCAT is in order. Shoot for something in the 30s, ideally 32+. To get a better idea of what schoosl to look for in your range, I'd suggest you buy a copy of the MSAR (it's about $15).

No. The average cumulative GPA and science GPA of allopathic matriculants isn't that far apart and should be somewhere in the 3.60-3.65 range for both metrics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely on the lower end, but it should get you a few interviews provided you get a very good MCAT score (33+).
Quite a few 3.4 students take a year off to do an SMP ( I did myself) and it helped me get into an allopathic school.

I had a 3.35 sGPA, 3.45 cGPA, and 32+ MCAT as a reapplicant ORM and was accepted to an allopathic school. I'm definitely an exception but it is possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3.27/3.27/35 accepted 2nd time around to an MD program. Make sure you make up for it in other areas, ALL other areas.

Reactions: 1 users
Good? No. In range (especially with a strong upward trend)? Yes. You will have to make up for it in other ways.

Reactions: 1 user
Isn't there a thread that says % of people accepted with various GPAs and MCAT scores?