Is a committee letter enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

singergirl18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many schools also allow optional letters, but I have read that sometimes shorter is sweeter since ADCOMS don't always like to read 5 letters per student. I received unanimous votes for the strongest rec from all members of my committee and had two strong LORs submitted in preparation for the 4 committee interviews. I received a glowing review (not the actual letter, of course) from the head member of my committee. Is a very strong committee letter enough for most schools? My guess is yes since many schools will only allow the committee letter and no extras, but can someone with admissions experience please weigh in? THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Committee letter knocks out all requirements for nearly all schools. You can supplement if you wish, but you don't need to.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a few schools that might still require 2 character letters.

There are a few, and I have a letter for that from someone who I asked to focus on my character and positive qualities instead of my academic readiness.
There are a few schools that might still require 2 character letters.