is a double major too hard?

hle08a

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is is too unrealistic to plan on majoring in Biochemistry and Computer Science? What about Biochemistry and Psychology? Which would make me look more impressive to medical schools?

Would it be worth it just to minor in music and major in only Biochemistry? Do medical schools even care about what you minor in?

I know it would probably make me look better to double major, but I don't know if it would be way too much work (and impossible to keep up a good GPA). If that's the case, I don't know if I should minor in something else, or just do Biochemistry by itself, with no minor or other major.

Advice would be very much appreciated. thank you:)

Members don't see this ad.

Don't double major to look better. Double major because you have a genuine interest in both topics.

Double majoring in something when you don't have much interest just to "look better" is only going to put more stress on you, resulting in a lower GPA which is only going to make you look worse, not better.

Is is too unrealistic to plan on majoring in Biochemistry and Computer Science? What about Biochemistry and Psychology? Which would make me look more impressive to medical schools?

Would it be worth it just to minor in music and major in only Biochemistry? Do medical schools even care about what you minor in?

I know it would probably make me look better to double major, but I don't know if it would be way too much work (and impossible to keep up a good GPA). If that's the case, I don't know if I should minor in something else, or just do Biochemistry by itself, with no minor or other major.

No one will care what you major in. No one will care what you double major in. No one will care what you minor in. Being a double major won't get you any "bonus" points. It is doable (as many people doube major), but dont do it for any other reason than you really enjoy both subjects.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I do genuinely enjoy Computer Science (but not as much as I like Biochemistry). Would that be too big of a workload to major in too, though?

I do genuinely enjoy Computer Science (but not as much as I like Biochemistry). Would that be too big of a workload to major in too, though?

Only you will know if it is too hard for you to handle. You have to experience it. If you find that your grades are suffering b/c your course load is too hard.......then yes it is too hard to handle.

Then minor or just take a coupla courses in it

Med schools do seem to get an oversupply of bio/biochem/chem and other science majors. It really doesn't matter what you major in, as long as you meet the requirements, have outstanding stats, and show genuine interest in becoming a doctor. I hear of religion, psychology, and even music majors going into medical school. So if you really enjoy computer science, major in computer science and make sure you finish all your prerequisites. Then you can take classes that pertain to science and maybe minor or major if you would like.

Being a double major won't get you any "bonus" points.
The file reviews I got indicate that's not true. It probably isn't a huge deal, but the schools all thought it was interesting and important enough to note as a plus. Don't do it if it'll even sort of jeopardize your grades.

Even only MINORING in music takes DE-DI-CA-TION. You have to truly LOVE music, with a PASSION. -Heck, I really love music, but will I minor in it, nuh-uh.

Do not quote this: I've heard that they look for diversity among med school applicants (as in, not wanting all bio/chem majors)- and *perhaps* having a different major would give you a slight advantage- see also DLi's advice. ;)

One thing I probably understand about undergrad: sometimes you really can't have it planned out at the get-go, you have to figure it out as you go, see also RySerr21's advice ;)

What about Biochemistry and Psychology?

I'm almost finished with my double major in psychology and biochemistry. Curious to hear what you decided. I had to go on the five year plan, but I loved both subjects so it was worth it for me.

If you aren't coming in with a boatload of AP credit, I don't know how easily a double major can be done. Most double majors I've talked to have had to take a fifth year + some summer classes. I'd rather spend more time on extracurriculars and research than spend more time in class >.< just me though!

If you aren't coming in with a boatload of AP credit, I don't know how easily a double major can be done. Most double majors I've talked to have had to take a fifth year + some summer classes. I'd rather spend more time on extracurriculars and research than spend more time in class >.< just me though!

Yeah, I had to take about half a semester's worth of summer classes + a fifth year. I almost wish I had done more research, but I really like my subjects.

Only double major if you are interested not to make your med school app look better.

EDIT: wow OP is a medical student. This was a 6 year late response, haha.

Last edited:

A minor in Computer Science would be great if that is something you are truly interested in doing.

Two heavy science majors might not be advisable, especially because a lot of my computer science friends tend to have low GPAs just because of the way the classes are structured. Doing two majors is generally not advisable from an aesthetic standpoint, i.e. it won't make you look much better if you do well, but will make you look worse if you don't. Major in what you love, and if there's something else you want to study, maybe look at a minor in that.

Double majoring with biochem and CS and graduating in four years and keeping a high GPA is indeed unrealistic. Doubling biochem and psych is more realistic, and may be able to let you graduate in four years. However, there is little marginal benefit to double majoring. Pick one major (and one minor if you want) and excel in it. Also, given that you won't use a lot of your knowledge from almost any undergrad major when you're in med school, you should only major in something you like a lot, and something that overlaps well with prereq classes (e.g. bio, biochem, physics, neuro). Paradoxically, that med schools don't care about your major makes your major choice important.

Pick 2: Double major, high GPA, no extra year(s)

In all honesty, premed prereqs would mostly give you a biosomething major. Use your remaining time to do what you want. Nobody cares what you major in or even if the classes you took contributed to that. But classes that you love will unmistakably make you a better (wo)man. If you love compsci, do compsci. But don't feel the need to get a minor or a major in it.