Is a Formal PostBac with No Linkages Worth It?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chazell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had a quick question, I'm a non-trad and will be applying to formal postbac's for next fall. I currently have an application with Scripps in Claremont; however, I don't think I'll get in because my SAT scores are too low from high school...everything else should be competitive (GPA, clinical, volunteer hours, etc.). I also plan on applying to Cal State Fullerton. I was really looking at these two because of their linkage to Western University DO, which is a school I want to go to. If I can't get into either of these postbac's, is it worth it to attend a formal postbac (such as Chapman University or CSU San Marcos) that don't have linkages, or should I just go to a community college at that point?

I had a 3.19 GPA at community college, transferred to finish my bachelors and currently have a 3.62 there (3.34 GPA combined). I'll finish my bachelors this semester. I have over 600 hours non-medical volunteer hours, clinical volunteer hours at a local emergency room, and should have at least 20 hours of shadowing by the time I apply in January.

Members don't see this ad.

why a postbac? just take your mcat...retake a few classes if you need to

I'm a non-science major, I majored in Business...I haven't taken many science courses and the ones I took were several years ago (I had a break in school because I went into the military), so I need to complete a postbac to finish the pre-req's and refresh my knowledge on the basics.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools have a minimum ugrad GPA to qualify for the linkage programs. You should contact the schools and find this out. My formal post bacc has two formal linkages (Pitt min gpa-3.75, GWU- min gpa 3.6) and you wouldn't qualify for either. Linkages are competitive and I doubt that there are any that require less than a min 3.5 cumulative ugrad GPA, but if that is something you're interested in you need to contact each program and find out.

Western University DO through CSU Fullerton requires the following:
- Minimum grades of B+ in all science courses
- Overall GPA of 3.3
- Essay

So I qualify for that. I'm sure it's similar through Scripps.

They also have an MD linkage to George Washington University, which only requires a 3.0 Undergrad GPA.

If I finish with all A's for the rest of my bachelors, that'll give me a 3.75 GPA there, I'm finishing one class at the community college right now which would bump that to a 3.25, making my cumulative GPA a 3.47. That'd be the highest I could get it prior to taking postbac classes.

No one has addressed my question though?

Last edited:
Hm I guess I didn't consider not making the linkage. Thought it'd be okay based on the requirements.

Linkages outside like 2 or 3 programs is totally over rated. I went to a place which had "linkages" and they sucked and were super hard to get. Its just candy to get you in the door, and then you realize you aren't eligible.

Linkages outside like 2 or 3 programs is totally over rated. I went to a place which had "linkages" and they sucked and were super hard to get. Its just candy to get you in the door, and then you realize you aren't eligible.
Thanks for you input, I appreciate it.

Is a Formal PostBac with No Linkages Worth It?

I think this is too vague of a question. However, from what I've seen through all the wealth of experiences here on SDN, this option IS worth it as long as your grades are the problem and you have strong showings on other parts of your application.

Define Worth it. 50K/year? NO. 25k/year? Maybe. What are you asking here?