Is a general AA before transferring going to hurt me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProspectiveKidd

Membership Revoked
Removed
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive taken about 30 credits of gen eds at my CC, and Im planning on getting my associates before I transfer to get some additional scholarships at the transfer uni (I'm a nontrad so I don't really care about having CC credits). If I decide to pursue a bio major after transferring am I going to be screwed on the amount of time it takes to complete all of my prereqs? Im going to meet with my admissions counselor but I'm slightly confused on the process and sequential classes required/desired to do well on my MCAT.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

No, it won't hurt you. I got my AA prior to transferring and already had ~136 units at my CC (changed major and had to take new prerequisites). Time? It may take longer, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Reactions: 1 user
No, it won't hurt you. I got my AA prior to transferring and already had ~136 units at my CC (changed major and had to take new prerequisites). Time? It may take longer, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I should have worded it differently; will I be able to finish all the necessary prereqs on time and classes to fulfill my major if I just got an AA first? Im starting to think thats not the case

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I should have worded it differently; will I be able to finish all the necessary prereqs on time and classes to fulfill my major if I just got an AA first? Im starting to think thats not the case

Probably.

I had 64 credits then got my AA in liberal arts. Only reason I was a delayed graduation (graduated in summer) is because I was a double major/double minor and then upgraded my Anthro major from a BA to a BS.

I did that and it worked out just fine. The thing to note though is that while at CC, I made sure every single one of the classes I took would count towards specific graduation requirements at the undergrad I wanted to go to. So when I transferred there, I had a bunch of general ed requirements done already, as well as chemistry, ochem, and bio. So I just did 8 quarters at my 4-year school and was done (I never took a summer off during undergrad because there were a few extra classes I really wanted to take).

Reactions: 1 users
No. You are ahead because you will be saving a pretty penny!

I did that and it worked out just fine. The thing to note though is that while at CC, I made sure every single one of the classes I took would count towards specific graduation requirements at the undergrad I wanted to go to. So when I transferred there, I had a bunch of general ed requirements done already, as well as chemistry, ochem, and bio. So I just did 8 quarters at my 4-year school and was done (I never took a summer off during undergrad because there were a few extra classes I really wanted to take).

Cool, thanks.

How was ochem at the CC?

Cool, thanks.

How was ochem at the CC?
It was good! Except I was unlucky and they offered OChem 1 and 2, then had a quarter off before OChem 3... The first few weeks of OChem 3 were brutal as a result because I had forgotten a lot of the reagents/pathways etc from OChem 1 and 2 and had to relearn them. So just make sure you can take all 3 without breaks (or 2 if you're at a semester school).
It's also worth noting that EVERYBODY at my 4 year school was incredibly jealous that I took OChem at community college. My 4-year school's OChem is notoriously brutal.