Is a General Science major too general?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

llamaNOW

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about doing a general science major at my university. The requirements of this is to have 180 credits and have a limited amount of science in chemistry and bio. The rest of the space is open to whatever I choose. The reason I would choose this major is so that I can pick and choose classes I am really interested in but are also challenging, such as nutrition, cell bio, biochemistry, and not be required to take classes such as evolution or microbiology if I chose the microbiology major. Does this seem like I am too undecided and broad to medical schools? I also would like to take classes in economics and possibly history. ???? Please help!!

Members don't see this ad.

Can you imagine putting on your resume:

Graduated from blah blah, BS in General Science

**Shudders**

I am thinking about doing a general science major at my university. The requirements of this is to have 180 credits and have a limited amount of science in chemistry and bio. The rest of the space is open to whatever I choose. The reason I would choose this major is so that I can pick and choose classes I am really interested in but are also challenging, such as nutrition, cell bio, biochemistry, and not be required to take classes such as evolution or microbiology if I chose the microbiology major. Does this seem like I am too undecided and broad to medical schools? I also would like to take classes in economics and possibly history. ???? Please help!!

Is general science like "jack of all trades, master of none" kinda thing? I legit never heard of that major...

Members don't see this ad :)

People think way too into the "what should I major question." If you would have used the search function you would have seen that people give the same advice time and time and time again. Medical schools dont give two $hits about what you major in so long as you get good grades. Art history, Math, Astro Physics and Finger painting etc, are all majors people apply and get accepted with year after year..

By the way trying to dodge Micro my prove malignant to future medical school coursework, as learning about the pathogens is a very vital aspect in being familiar with what can cause the body to awry.

Good luck in yourjourney.

If you get a BA in one of the other, typical ones (bio/chem/biochem/physics) you'll have to take way fewer required classes for your major, and have time to take extra ones that you want to. I'm a BA ending up with an unexpected minor in bio because I just happened to take enough classes. It's really a quite flexible plan.

Is 180 credits the norm for your school (quarter system maybe:confused:)?

Med schools don't care what your major is, do whatever you want from that angle. My concern with a general science degree is: what kind of job could you get if you got in a spot where you needed to seek employement?

Is 180 credits the norm for your school (quarter system maybe:confused:)?

Med schools don't care what your major is, do whatever you want from that angle. My concern with a general science degree is: what kind of job could you get if you got in a spot where you needed to seek employement?

yes quarter

Personally, I think that you should go for it. If it is like most self made majors, you are allowed to make a name up for it. For instance, you could take science classes along with philosophy and call it "The Ethics of Science."

If this were to even come up in an interview, you could say that you wanted the freedom to take classes that you liked and would make you well rounded. Med schools love well rounded applicants.

As far as the job thing goes, most majors are not geared towards a particular career anyways, excluding majors such as engineering, nursing, etc. Most employers at the entry level just want to see that you were able to make it through college.

Do what you like and the grades will follow, that's what I always say.

Good Luck

Personally, I think that you should go for it. If it is like most self made majors, you are allowed to make a name up for it. For instance, you could take science classes along with philosophy and call it "The Ethics of Science."

If this were to even come up in an interview, you could say that you wanted the freedom to take classes that you liked and would make you well rounded. Med schools love well rounded applicants.

As far as the job thing goes, most majors are not geared towards a particular career anyways, excluding majors such as engineering, nursing, etc. Most employers at the entry level just want to see that you were able to make it through college.

Do what you like and the grades will follow, that's what I always say.

Good Luck

:thumbup::thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user