Is AAMC trying to make Pre-Med into a major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm currently in a "pre-med major", biomedical sciences. It's a biology degree with a focus on health sciences. In it, we cover many (read: 75%) of the topics covered in medical school. That said, I wouldn't go as far as to say this practice will become adopted everywhere. The degree itself is incredibly weak if one does not choose to continue to graduate level education.

:lol::lol::lol:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Great reply. Really insightful. You really added a lot to the conversation there.

You bet I did. More than someone who believes that his undergraduate degree covers 75% of the topics taught in medical school.

You bet I did. More than someone who believes that his undergraduate degree covers 75% of the topics taught in medical school.
The 75% was intended as sarcasm, hence the read. We barely grace upon these topics. We cover them in the sense of "hey, you may use this later in medicine". I'm sorry if that did not come off as intended.

I'm referring to major universities whose strength isn't just in "Liberal Arts" but also have strengths in the sciences, engineering, business, etc.
I don't think you understand what a LibArts college is...
It's not just liberal arts, it's more that they expect small class sizes and EVERY student has to take math/science courses, Art/Literature courses, and culture/history courses. Research powerhouse? No, but there are great science educations to be had, and there are research opportunities for undergrads from Freshman fall. Everyone who takes intro chem at my school, for example, has to personally use the electron microscope. That seems less likely to be true at a school with 200+ people in an intro course. I only mentioned the LibArts aspect at all because they tend to be more focused on making sure that all of their students take a broad range of courses.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think that will happen. More importantly, it shouldn't happen. I would feel bad for the majority of students that select that major if it does come about.

The vast majority of pre-meds do NOT become physicians and having a pre-med degree would be worthless in pursuing other careers. If you only took the premed sciences you'd be behind in science knowledge to PhD applicants or lab techs. Nothing like the stigma of applying to a business job as a premed major that clearly didn't make it to med school. There is absolutely no positive in creating a pre-med major.

Furthermore, I had a 43 MCAT so I'm more astute than you :bow:.
When my sister's friend (different school) told me she was a pre-med major, I chuckled (and felt some pity for her). Because she struggled to have a 3.0, meaning that degree would be completely worthless. (I mean, there's no way someone with below a 3.0 would get into med school.) I feel bad for those people who major in "pre-med" for that reason. To me, majoring in pre-med is a huge gamble. My thought is that, if I don't get into medical school, at least I can use my biochemistry degree to get a job or try for grad school. What can you possibly do with a pre-med degree when you don't make it?

Last edited: