is Albany college of pharmacy worth 110k?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yskaaa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I calculated the estimated cost for completing pharmacy program at Albany, and
I would be in debt of about 110k to 120k. If I go to some cheaper school to complete prerequisite courses and transfer, it would be about 80k to 90k. To be honest, I'm scared. Does Albany have a good system that ensures students of finding jobs? I am an international student with no work visa, and I assume it would be harder for me. I am 100% to relocate by the way.

My other option is to graduate from undergraduate school with a science major of about 50k in debt, and find a job. Which would you recommend me?

Since you are all more experienced than I am, I was wondering if you could share your insights. The deadline is about next week, and I am anxious to make a decision. Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, compared to other schools 110-120k really isn't that bad after 4 years of pharm. Are you calculating tuition + cost of living or just tuition?

Finish up your undergraduate degree first and then make a decision. To be honest, international students are having a VERY difficult time securing careers or even jobs as a pharmacist. Not enough companies/hospitals are willing to sponsor international students after they graduate, so it makes your investment into pharmacy school pretty risky. I don't know much about Albany except that it's in New York, one of the three states (TX, CA, NY) guilty of graduating way too many pharmacists per year. Supposedly students in Florida are having an easier time than New Yorkers, but I'll let someone else speak on that. I am from the Baltimore/DC area, and it seems to be pretty ugly here too, not as bad as New York however.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACPHS isn't 110k, but ~$160k.

Last edited by a moderator:
also, if you already have a Bachelor, this school for some reason considers you an "undergrad" for the 1st 2 years of pharm school AND you are not eligible for federal graduate loans! most likely you'll have to take out private loans for the first 2 years at ACPHS and it sucks majorly.

this is not a good school; disorganized, quality of teaching isn't good (so far i've only come across 2-3 good professors).
no, they don't "ensure" anything. hell, they don't even help you find internship positions.
IPPE rotations are all in the summers so it's really hard for us to find a job on top of that.
every year, they keep changing the curriculum (adding more requirements, cumulative tests, etc).
2 years ago, they added a "top 250 exam" that you needed to pass, which is quite unnecessary because you'll definitely forget those drugs later, or will learn them in other classes later anyway.
last year, they started making all exams cumulative.
this year, they start requiring you to do 7 (instead of 6) APPE rotations in order to graduate.
in summary: no, this school isn't worth more than $80k.

pharmacy job prospect is really bad and i don't recommend anyone to enter this field.
do you have acceptance from another (better) pharm school?
do you have another career choice?

Seems there is a chance I might know you lol :p. I do second that the school is very big into changing things constantly (good/bad). Cumalative exams are actually a good thing in my opinion, and the 7th APPE can be looked at as a good/bad thing. I do second the teaching quality of many professors is not the best with the exception of a few wonderful ones. APPE rotation quality around the capital district is pretty good, but outside of that area it was pretty poor in my experience. Most people I know have jobs along if they were willing to relocate, and my class did match pretty well from what I hear. I would't say they go above and beyond though to help their graduates secure jobs. I feel I am similarly educated to most of my peers from other schools but that there are plenty of holes in our curriculum where I have seen drugs I have never heard off (Skipping MS and CF comes to mind). If you definitely want to do pharmacy (which I would't recommend to most people) you could surely do worse. I think 110k is reasonable for a Pharm D since it seems that your not going to be paying for living expenses? If not your true coa is somewhere in the 46k range a year. EDIT: If you do go here I doubt you will be able to practice in most of NY, since our wonderful SUNY system has decided we need two more SUNY pharmacy schools...

Last edited:
Most people I know have jobs along if they were willing to relocate
this is the reality of the pharmacy job market in general - "if you're willing to relocate".....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
- you can't work during summer if you have 7 rotations
- you can't graduate and take NAPLEX early with 7 rotations
- 1 more rotation isn't even necessary; what are they thinking?

Huh you cant graduate early.... Idk what you mean the 7th rotation has nothing to do with that, you just have less time off. Everyones still graduating in May, Naplex date is not affected... Yes you have less time to make money but people still work over the weekends that I know. The whole point of that 7th rotation is networking and experience (if its not a crap rotation). If I was staying in pharmacy rotations were very good for networking. 2 of my APPE sites were interested in offering me a position after graduation.

capital district = around Albany; if your home isn't in Albany then the dorm here charges you $145/week to live during rotations. And it's a lottery system; many people don't get their first choices.

Every school is like this. How else would you arrange rotations, of course it is a lotto system, of course people do not get their first choices. The school does not have a good network out of the capital district though which should and could be improved. Also what school would give you free housing during rotations? There are actually a few sites outside of Albany that provide housing but that is the exception.

this is the reality of the pharmacy job market in general - "if you're willing to relocate".....
Concur... Hence I stated "I wouldn't recommend it to most people".

Hi. I calculated the estimated cost for completing pharmacy program at Albany, and
I would be in debt of about 110k to 120k. If I go to some cheaper school to complete prerequisite courses and transfer, it would be about 80k to 90k. To be honest, I'm scared. Does Albany have a good system that ensures students of finding jobs? I am an international student with no work visa, and I assume it would be harder for me. I am 100% to relocate by the way.

My other option is to graduate from undergraduate school with a science major of about 50k in debt, and find a job. Which would you recommend me?

Since you are all more experienced than I am, I was wondering if you could share your insights. The deadline is about next week, and I am anxious to make a decision. Thanks a lot.

International student? You are too late by at least 4 years. Pharmacy is dead for you. Pick a different degree. You may graduate with no jobs, expired OPT, no H1B visa if you pursue pharmacy. It is almost impossible to get a new hire H1B sponsorship in pharmacy nowadays.

If you really want this, find a US citizen husband when you are in school, then you might have a chance.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't waste your money on pharmacy. Why would an employer want to sponsor an international student when new grads are dying to work for $45 an hour? I would look at business, engineering, and computers.

Honestly, compared to other schools 110-120k really isn't that bad after 4 years of pharm. Are you calculating tuition + cost of living or just tuition?
Tuition+Housing and board

also, if you already have a Bachelor, this school for some reason considers you an "undergrad" for the 1st 2 years of pharm school AND you are not eligible for federal graduate loans! most likely you'll have to take out private loans for the first 2 years at ACPHS and it sucks majorly.

this is not a good school; disorganized, quality of teaching isn't good (so far i've only come across 2-3 good professors).
no, they don't "ensure" anything. hell, they don't even help you find internship positions.
IPPE rotations are all in the summers so it's really hard for us to find a job on top of that.
every year, they keep changing the curriculum (adding more requirements, cumulative tests, etc).
2 years ago, they added a "top 250 exam" that you needed to pass, which is quite unnecessary because you'll definitely forget those drugs later, or will learn them in other classes later anyway.
last year, they started making all exams cumulative.
this year, they start requiring you to do 7 (instead of 6) APPE rotations in order to graduate.
in summary: no, this school isn't worth more than $80k.

pharmacy job prospect is really bad and i don't recommend anyone to enter this field.
do you have acceptance from another (better) pharm school?
do you have another career choice?

I got merit scholarship of 18k per year for 6 years. That's how I calculated.

Ok.Um, so I'm even more scared now.
I am a current high school senior with no Bachelor.
First, I can get it down to 80k if I things work out with my parents.
Second, I am willing to relocate. If there's a decent position in Alaska, I would go there. At that point, I would be in debt of around 80-90k depending on interest rates, so moving is no problem if there's guarantee of full time job.
Third, I got accepted to St.John's Pharmacy also, but I have to pay 20k more.

I have 5 options at this point.
1) Go to Albany pharm for 6 years with about 80-110k in debt(again, depending on situations of my family).
2) Go to Mount Holyoke and major in something that can get a job with 50k in debt.(That seems hard since it's only bachelor's degree)
3)Go to St.John's pharmacy with 100k~130k in debt
4)Go to Cuny and take pCAT and transfer to pharmacy and save about 20k compared to going into pharmacy straight.
5)Go back to Korea and become lost of my future because I don't know/have plans to do in Korea with disapproval and terror of my mother and satisfaction of my father.

I can go to Mount Holyoke and do 2 years of prerequisite to see if I can handel pharmacy. If I can, transfer to pharm. If I can't stay there and get a bachelor. Hopefully get a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
International student? You are too late by at least 4 years. Pharmacy is dead for you. Pick a different degree. You may graduate with no jobs, expired OPT, no H1B visa if you pursue pharmacy. It is almost impossible to get a new hire H1B sponsorship in pharmacy nowadays.

"If you really want this, find a US citizen husband when you are in school, then you might have a chance.
"

Haha If I was younger, I wouldn't consider getting married so early for such a benefit, but since I am so desperate, I actually might lol.

Do you have experience working in a pharmacy? I also went into the program after high school and it was a huge mistake. Please only to this if you are POSITIVE pharmacy is for you. If you wanna do health care nursing,PA,MD,dentist,etc are all much better choices IMO. Also remember that tuition goes up every year, and there is a big tuition jump once you hit P1 for your calculations.

Do you have experience working in a pharmacy? I also went into the program after high school and it was a huge mistake. Please only to this if you are POSITIVE pharmacy is for you. If you wanna do health care nursing,PA,MD,dentist,etc are all much better choices IMO. Also remember that tuition goes up every year, and there is a big tuition jump once you hit P1 for your calculations.

I wanna be a pharmacist, and I wouldn't mind being a pharmacist for the rest of my life if there is a job. Academics would be hard, which is what I am worried about.
Do you mind being more specific why you regret it? Because of debt?lack of job opportunities?work conditions?

I wanna be a pharmacist, and I wouldn't mind being a pharmacist for the rest of my life if there is a job. Academics would be hard, which is what I am worried about.
Do you mind being more specific why you regret it? Because of debt?lack of job opportunities?work conditions?
Oh, and no. I do not have a experience. When I go to Albany, I plan to take an internship at pharmacy store or anywhere.
Anyway, is it hard to get internship opportunities at Albany?

I'm scared of debt and not getting a job. But if I were to move to somewhere in less populated area, do you think there would be a chance?

Oh, and no. I do not have a experience. When I go to Albany, I plan to take an internship at pharmacy store or anywhere.

I'm scared of debt and not getting a job. But if I were to move to somewhere in less populated area, do you think there would be a chance?
Honestly, only with at least a green card. No one will sponsor you. Even US Citizens have to move to the middle of nowhere to get jobs nowadays.

Reactions: 2 users

If you have no pharmacy experience then you do not know you want to be a pharmacist, I suggest not doing this then and just going for your bachelors for now. I also had no experience and was not satisfied with pharmacy in practice at all. Working conditions are also pretty poor in retail, and job opportunities are far from ideal. Instead I will be starting medical school this August with the unfortunate debt I have already obtained from pharmacy. It is VERY hard to get a internship position in Albany. It's very saturated and you will probably be looking at 1.5 hours out at least. Go to Holyoke, get a bachelors, and become a PA or something if you wanna do health care. If I could do it all over again from high school I would probably be a PA.

If you have no experience AT MINIMUM try shadowing a pharmacist for a few days. Ask yourself if you can see yourself doing this for the next 30+ years.

Honestly, only with at least a green card. No one will sponsor you. Even US Citizens have to move to the middle of nowhere to get jobs nowadays.

I moved to northern Minnesota. This state only has 1 pharmacy school (2 campuses) and even up here in the middle of nowhere I don't even get 40 hours a week and still not staffing at the store I was told I would be before I moved here and I'm a younger white American male.

Ok.Um, so I'm even more scared now.
I am a current high school senior with no Bachelor.
First, I can get it down to 80k if I things work out with my parents.
Second, I am willing to relocate. If there's a decent position in Alaska, I would go there. At that point, I would be in debt of around 80-90k depending on interest rates, so moving is no problem if there's guarantee of full time job.
Third, I got accepted to St.John's Pharmacy also, but I have to pay 20k more.

I have 5 options at this point.
1) Go to Albany pharm for 6 years with about 80-110k in debt(again, depending on situations of my family).
2) Go to Mount Holyoke and major in something that can get a job with 50k in debt.(That seems hard since it's only bachelor's degree)
3)Go to St.John's pharmacy with 100k~130k in debt
4)Go to Cuny and take pCAT and transfer to pharmacy and save about 20k compared to going into pharmacy straight.
5)Go back to Korea and become lost of my future because I don't know/have plans to do in Korea with disapproval and terror of my mother and satisfaction of my father.

I can go to Mount Holyoke and do 2 years of prerequisite to see if I can handel pharmacy. If I can, transfer to pharm. If I can't stay there and get a bachelor. Hopefully get a job.

At this point, I have no doubt pharmacy students have been planning this move. It is one of the very few viable options left along with moving to other rural areas. Rural areas will get crowded with pharmacists very quickly. Consolidations and store mergers are another barrier you have to navigate. By the time you graduate, pharmacists will be plenty in Alaska. As to your 5th point, I think your parents' disapproval and terror gets real bad when you have an expensive degree without the prospects of stable hours to pay off the loans. See if medicine and PA's offer students with your status some sort of sponsorship when you graduate their schools. Just suck it up and study hard, get good grades at Mount Holyoke and this should open up a lot more options than making an early commitment to pharmacy which is so financially risky, among other things.

International student pursuing pharmacy degree nowadays is just dumb. Guarantee you will be unemployed with 150-200k degree and going back to Korea. I speak from experience because I was one. It took me 13 yrs in the US under EB3 category since 2003 starting school -> work til now before I get my green card. Now, no major employers sponsor internationals anymore. The door was closed about 4 yrs ago.

How can you got a loan if you are international student? I though they only loan to citizens?

Why would you want to go to pharmacy school here if you aren't even a citizen?

If you have no pharmacy experience then you do not know you want to be a pharmacist, I suggest not doing this then and just going for your bachelors for now. I also had no experience and was not satisfied with pharmacy in practice at all. Working conditions are also pretty poor in retail, and job opportunities are far from ideal. Instead I will be starting medical school this August with the unfortunate debt I have already obtained from pharmacy. It is VERY hard to get a internship position in Albany. It's very saturated and you will probably be looking at 1.5 hours out at least. Go to Holyoke, get a bachelors, and become a PA or something if you wanna do health care. If I could do it all over again from high school I would probably be a PA.

If you have no experience AT MINIMUM try shadowing a pharmacist for a few days. Ask yourself if you can see yourself doing this for the next 30+ years.
couldn't have said this much better myself. the fatal flaw of pre-accepted programs like this is that high school juniors/seniors rarely have any idea of what they want to do for the rest of their lives. Spend some time in undergrad figuring out what you want to do before committing to extra years of schooling for a degree you may or may not use in the future..

I'm a US citizen and I am having a hard time finding a decent position. One of my classmate might be sent back to her country because she still hasn't found sponsorship yet. It's scary. Sometimes I wish I should've done something in computers or programming. Seems like more opportunities with tech companies. :(