Is an internship the same thing as volunteer? Please Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future PT 12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is an internship the same thing as volunteer?

I am currently majoring in Exercise Science at my university. After finishing all of my course work I have to do an internship through my school which will count as 5 credit hours total. I will have to do 375 hours. My adviser told me that us Exercise Science students could do our internship at various Physical Therapy Clinics.

When applying to PT school, I know they look at your hours and knowledge of Physical Therapy with your time spent in clinics.

If I volunteer this summer at a local clinic and do my internship (2 yrs later) will that be the same thing?

I am a little confused on whether or not I need to volunteer a lot or I will be fine with my internship hours when applying to PT scool

Members don't see this ad.

You should be fine for the numbers but remember, the point of the volunteer hours is not to make you jump through hoops, it is to ensure that you know what you are getting into before you apply and are accepted into PT school. They really just are asking that you explore the profession before joining it.

I was in a similar situation. I majored in Exercise Science too and part of my requirements was to do 2 "Experience Credits" of 3 credits each. We had to keep a journal of our experiences and write a paper at the end. The good thing is yes, you're definitely killing two birds with one stone. As long as you're volunteering/shadowing/interning (whatever you'd like to call it) in a PT setting, they count for both! I completed both my experience credits at a PT facility, counted my hours on my application, and was accepted. Although the more hours you have the better, your internship hours are definitely sufficient!

Members don't see this ad :)
This provides a perfect example why I think "Exercise Science" is a bunk major. Essentially, you will paying tuition to volunteer. They may have affiliations with clinics, but finding sites is something you could easily do on your own. Also, what happens to the students who majored in "Exercise Science" and don't get into PT school. They get to start their college career over. I advise all students that I speak with to run, not walk, away from this major unless they are able to incorporate it into a terminal degree or plan to continue on to graduate school with a an understanding of what their career plans will be. I majored in "Exercise Science" but was fortunant enough to concentrate in athletic training so I had other opportunities in case I wasn't accepted into PT school. I will be starting PT school in just over a week and will be dual credentialed in a few more years. My advise would be to pursue a degree program that will incorporate all PT prerequisites and will lead to a career, "Exercise Science" by itself is not this major.

I agree with Sierra54. Athletic training is a much more appealing undergrad major. It is very similar to PT, many of the classes are the same or similar, if you don't get into PT school you still can work with this major, plus it makes you more marketable after PT school. Exercise science is like "pre-med" IF you don't get in, what good is it? Unless you want to do research or something or do straight up performance enhancement/personal training stuff.

Thank you for all that have replied! I am having a hard time trying to find volunteer hours so that is why I was asking.

As for the Exercise Science Major I knew what I was getting myself into upon doing this major. I am already "far into" my major to change now. I understand that there are not many great job's alone, but my back up with this degree would be cardiac rehab. I hope to get into PT school with this degree if possible. I have already completed 6/9 required pre reqs as well. I have looked into Athletic Training and am taking a class for it during the Fall Semester.

Great Advice from everyone! Thanks again!

I have to say, I just graduated with a degree in Health & Exercise Science with intentions of becoming a PT, and I think it was one of the smartest choices I've made. I learned so much from it, and there's no doubt in my mind that all the classes I took have prepared me well for PT school. Sure, there's not much you can do with the degree on its own other than personal training, strength and conditioning, coaching, etc. but there is NO reason to advise people against it. Everyone in my major (including myself) came into it with intentions of going to grad school for exercise physiology, research, or are moving on to PT/OT/PA/DO/MD/ND/EMT/Chiropractics. I have taken classes ranging from exercise physiology to various nutrition courses, and from pathophysiology and motor learning to biomechanics and genetics. I have spent hours in human performance labs, doing labs, from VO2max tests, human motion analysis with state of the art lab equipment in a nearby research hospital, assisting professors with research, learning how to tape/wrap various injuries and do proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation stretching, and working as a personal trainer, gaining early experience working one on one with people, establishing a sense of professionalism, and trusting relationships with clients. People major in biology, psychology, math, and languages and typically have to go to back to pursue a masters in teaching because there's not much you can do with a degree in those areas alone either. If anyone has hopes of going to grad school for rehabilitation sciences or any other medical profession, and is considering a major in exercise science, you will not be disappointed. Especially in PT/OT, I believe you will have an advantage being exposed to a range of areas of kinesiology. I know all that I have learned in the classroom I have already been able to apply to my volunteering and working as an aide. Admission is competitive, but if you don't get in first time around, don't give up! If this is the path you want to take, I strongly encourage it. Majoring in exercise science has helped my love for the field grow and my incentive for learning grow as well. I know I have a long way to go, and I'm so excited to keep learning more, but I believe my degree in exercise science has prepared me extremely well to succeed in PT school. If anyone has any questions, PM me, I'd love to share more about my undergrad experience. Good luck! :)