Is an MD/PhD or MD/MS in Bioengineering a better fit for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrazyMedScientist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in being a physician (at least part-time) so I am very set on an MD. I also think the MD brings very valuable perspective in human health research. I am also very interested in bioengineering, biotechnology and the potential advancements to be made in that field. I really do want to be involved in the "forefront" of that field and make advances. This makes an MD/PhD (w/ PhD in Bioengineering) seem like a great fit for me.

However, the more I think about it, the more I realize I am unsure if I want a career in academia. This is primarily because I feel academia can be very slow-paced. I am very passionate about bioengineering, biotechnology. However, I do not know if that passion can get me through having to spend 14 years of training (MD, PhD, Residency, Fellowship) and then possibly end up doing slow and unrewarding work (on top of an admittedly unrewarding compensation).

My ideal career is that I am a physician (either in a hospital or private practice) and also obtain the skills to make potential breakthroughs with involvement in the biotechnology, bioengineering industry (possibly entrepreneurship as well). I feel this is an alternative channel for my biotechnology, bioengineering passion. It may be faster paced and more exciting.

My question is: for my ideal career, should I pursue an MD/PhD or an MD/MS? I feel it is necessary to get at least an MS in Bioengineering as the training needed for the industry is quite different than what you get in an MD program. At the same time, is an MS (with MD) enough to be at the "cutting edge" of the industry? What can I do with a PhD that I can't do with an MS. I do think given that I want to be on the "cutting edge" of industry, a PhD is a must. Then again, the PhD is primarily for academia. Would it be wasteful to get it if my end goal isn't academia?

Members don't see this ad.

You're saying if I'm interested in being a physician and being involved in industry bioengineering, this magic "MBA" will do the trick? o.o

MBA w/ MD? Or just MBA?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're saying if I'm interested in being a physician and being involved in industry bioengineering, this magic "MBA" will do the trick? o.o

MBA w/ MD? Or just MBA?
MS/MBA will get you where you indicate wanting to be
doing the MD as well will keep you from this for the next 10 years between med school, insane residency hours, and everything else

MD/PhD student in Bioengineering here also with interests in entrepreneurship & cutting edge biotech. I'm not sure what your exposure to research is, but I would think most heavily about how much you enjoy research as you consider a PhD. A masters in bioe will give you the same technical training (you'll take the same classes) as a PhD, but you won't be trained to be an independent researcher. If you're interested in being on the cutting edge from the technical side, but not necessarily interested in independent research, a masters in bioe with some clinically-oriented classes or internships might be best.

For the MD -- as you consider trade offs, realize that you'll be spending 4 years doing undergraduate medical education, and also that medical education largely teaches you about the current state of medicine as opposed to the future of medicine. This means that you won't immediately be able to apply what you learn, and you'll have to actively orient your education in nontraditional ways.

Also, I wouldn't knock academia yet. It's usually where the deepest & most forward-looking innovation starts out.

Last edited: