This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopelesslyhopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster! I was hoping for some advice.

Graduated from a top 25 undergrad with a 3.46 ugpa/3.01 science gpa, 33 MCAT. I applied to ~30 MD schools this cycle and its not looking good currently.

A little more about my app for reference: I worked through college which somewhat limited my ECs. I was involved in non-medical research (psychology/communication) at my undergrad, but I don't have any other research currently. I also held 2 major leadership positions in college but again, they were nonmedical ECs chosen due to their financial benefit. To bolster my medical related ECs, I have been working as a scribe for the last 1.5 years and have had the chance to do 100+ hours of shadowing (various specialties) at the hospital I work for in that time.

Im curious if an SMP would benefit me versus attempting to bolster my ECs? I am hoping to apply again in the upcoming cycle, and will be expanding to DO as well I think.

Anyway, any advice would be great!! Thanks in advance SDN.

EDIT:: Just checked my science GPA officially on my AMCAS application and its a 3.21, I guess I didnt account for some additional coursework they factor in!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
ECs won't fix a low gpa. Yes, I believe you should do an SMP. Unless you were a non-science major and can bring up your sGPA with a year of extra classes.

The consensus around here seems to be that SMPs are good for those with <3.3. With your GPA, I wouldn't risk time and money on an SMP. While proving to med schools you can handle the rigor is great, doing poorly is lethal. Also, the graduate GPA will be counted separately from your uGPA, which has potential for redemption. I think doing a post-bacc program would be best for giving your uGPA a second chance to get boosted with a year of good grades. (I have a background similar to yours, so I've been looking into post-baccs myself.) Most post-baccs offer evening classes at discounted tuition, so you could work part-time or do research during the day, if you wish. Do you need to take prerequisites or advanced science coursework? This is something to consider when you look for a program best suited to your needs. Some are best for "career-changers," or "academic enhancers," sometimes even both. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
The consensus around here seems to be that SMPs are good for those with <3.3. With your GPA, I wouldn't risk time and money on an SMP. While proving to med schools you can handle the rigor is great, doing poorly is lethal. Also, the graduate GPA will be counted separately from your uGPA, which has potential for redemption. I think doing a post-bacc program would be best for giving your uGPA a second chance to get boosted with a year of good grades. (I have a background similar to yours, so I've been looking into post-baccs myself.) Most post-baccs offer evening classes at discounted tuition, so you could work part-time or do research during the day, if you wish. Do you need to take prerequisites or advanced science coursework? This is something to consider when you look for a program best suited to your needs. Some are best for "career-changers," or "academic enhancers," sometimes even both. Hope this helps.
He has a 3.01 science GPA. Either he needs to raise that (which could be hard if he has a lot of science credits) or he's gonna need an SMP.

I appreciate the feedback guys. I was a science major, so I definitely have a lot of science credits. I did a lot better in my upper division science coursework so I have a solid upward trend, but unfortunately that doesn't factor into my sGPA.

I know an SMP can be lethal, and I think that's the part that stresses me out. I was hoping there was a way around it if possible haha. But I understand how it could be the most beneficial option in my case.i

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

EDIT: My science GPA is a 3.21, I didnt account for some additional coursework that gets factored in with AMCAS. I don't know if that changes things but I figured I would mention it.

Last edited:
I appreciate the feedback guys. I was a science major, so I definitely have a lot of science credits. I did a lot better in my upper division science coursework so I have a solid upward trend, but unfortunately that doesn't factor into my sGPA.

I know an SMP can be lethal, and I think that's the part that stresses me out. I was hoping there was a way around it if possible haha. But I understand how it could be the most beneficial option in my case.i

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

EDIT: My science GPA is a 3.21, I didnt account for some additional coursework that gets factored in with AMCAS. I don't know if that changes things but I figured I would mention it.
Oh, I see. In that case, if you can't bump up your sGPA any further, then SMP's the way to go. Sorry, I neglected to consider that when I wrote my earlier post. I didn't mean to discourage you; on the flip side I've seen plenty of success stories of people who've had their hard work in an SMP pay off with acceptances. I'm pretty sure that if you channel that work ethic from your EC commitments to SMP coursework, you'll do fine. :)

Oh, I see. In that case, if you can't bump up your sGPA any further, then SMP's the way to go. Sorry, I neglected to consider that when I wrote my earlier post. I didn't mean to discourage you; on the flip side I've seen plenty of success stories of people who've had their hard work in an SMP pay off with acceptances. I'm pretty sure that if you channel that work ethic from your EC commitments to SMP coursework, you'll do fine. :)

No worries!! I appreciate the feedback. If you guys don't mind a follow up question - could the SMP hurt me for DO? I am definitely planning to apply DO during whatever next cycle I apply.

No worries!! I appreciate the feedback. If you guys don't mind a follow up question - could the SMP hurt me for DO? I am definitely planning to apply DO during whatever next cycle I apply.
If you do badly in the SMP, then yes.

If you do badly in the SMP, then yes.
I try and be my own biggest supporter, and am a firm believer that you should always bet on yourself. I have the utmost confidence in myself to succeed in an SMP program, I just don't want it to be for nothing. Unfortunately, as with anything, you always hear horror stories.

I appreciate all your advice Poke. Im leaning toward SMP so I went ahead and started working on some apps. Hopefully I will have them completed over the course of the week.