Is anybody out here going to DO school voluntarily?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CurrentWMedStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know we've all heard the old saying that DO school is a second chance for those who couldn't go to MD school. How many people got acceptances to MD schools but still decided to go to DO school? Given that they are generally a lot more expensive and that people still are prejudiced against DO "quacks", why did you pick to go to a DO school?

Members don't see this ad.

I know several people only applied to one DO school because they really liked that school. They just wanted to be a physician, regardless if its DO or MD.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure if serious...or just troll...

Reactions: 1 user
The hospital I scribe at has an internal medicine residency and the PD told me that they don't accept applicants from DO schools but they do accept IMG's. PM me if you want the programs name - it also says this on their website.

Nah, they will be taking me against my will, obviously.

Not sure if serious...or just troll...
Judging by how touchy everybody is getting this does seem to be a sensitive topic. Do DOs feel insecure about their title? Are there any DOs on here that feel the need to prove themselves regularly?

I think there are definitely people in certain regions of the US that would be equally happy to go to either. A state where this might very well be the case is Michigan. If you are from Michigan and want to practice medicine in Michigan I'm sure you are more likely to look at an opportunity to attend a DO or MD school equally.

There's definitely not many people that would willingly turn down an MD offer for a DO school, but I'm fairly certain they exist. A student currently attending RVUCOM said on the most recent school specific thread that he turned down 2 other DO acceptances and an MD interview to attend RVU. Turning down an interview is not necessarily the same thing, but if you turn down a shot at MD then I think that definitely means you would turn down the acceptance as well. With that said, this was clearly due to a particular interest in the school and had it been a different DO school its very likely the decision to not attend that MD interview would have been different.

Personally, I chose to apply only DO, but it wasn't because DO was my preference. Simply put, my app had some low lows that and I feared it would have gotten tossed in the rejection pile at MD schools, but I knew DO schools would see passed it and see my strengths make up for it. The main thing anyone should ask themselves if they're applying DO is if they would be happy in a primary care specialty. If the answer is yes then I see no reason why you shouldn't apply. Most importantly, there was a factor of uncertainty in that I was applying with a new MCAT and whether or not it would be my strong point in an MD application depended entirely on how schools looked at it. I had the choice of waiting a year to see what scores school were accepting and apply early for both or apply late for DO. In the end, I figured that sacrificing a year over something so petty was just not the right choice.

Some DO schools are definitely among the most expensive schools in the nation (AZCOM and CCOM). However, if you're going purely off tuition US News lists 10 of the cheapest private medical schools in the nation and 6 of them are DO schools so the myth that they are more expensive is easy to dispel. They're easily more expensive because they're generally private schools more than that they advertise themselves as though they're selling something proprietary. If you're talking about indebtedness, then yah I'd agree that's a different story, but your indebtedness is typically dictated by a number of things, particularly your background and how it influences your qualification for financial aid.

Regarding the prejudice, it exists to a degree, but is limited to academia/training and is non-existent AFAIK with respect to the general public. That is, of course, unless you count not knowing what a DO is as prejudice. I'm generally not an optimist, but I see the merger as a sign of a bright future for DOs. I may be wrong, but at worst the merger won't make a difference at all. From a rational perspective I don't see why the AOA would agree to something that ends up being bad for graduates of osteopathic medical schools.

Judging by how touchy everybody is getting this does seem to be a sensitive topic. Do DOs feel insecure about their title? Are there any DOs on here that feel the need to prove themselves regularly?

No one here feels obligated to prove anything. In case you're wondering your questions could have been asked in a nice and much less condescending way. The irony is you ask these questions regarding social perceptions of DOs as if to exclude yourself from subscribing to them, but do everything you would need to do to lead people to question your intentions. Your question simply boils down to has anyone chosen a DO school over an MD school and if so why? Yet you managed to ask the question in such a way that you can throw in the word quacks (but its fine cause its in quotations right?) and suggest that the choice to attend medical school is somehow forced on students who go to DO schools. A part of me tells me you're a troll too, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt and I hope this response is evident of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Not trolling, writing an article on DO prejudice and trying to get a feel for the topic.

We're sensitive about this because a thread like this happens AT LEAST once per week. Use the search function.

:beat:

Reactions: 3 users
What's wrong with retyping EVERYTHING at least once per week to placate a troll?

g2VWyWu.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Dude you are lazy and are asking loaded questions. Read the threads you will easily find your answers.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to both osteopathic and allopathic programs. I will be attending ACOM. I believe a lot of the prejudice, from applicants at least, come from people who do not work in the medical field as of yet and do not see and/or understand the work that physicians, in a more general sense, actually do. I am a critical care nurse. I work with both DO/MD. We have DO physicians that are Anesthesiologists, Intensivists, Emergency Med, and others just to name a few. My interests lie in critical care of course, as well as anesthesia. I am also well aware of the challenges many DO physicians face during the match. The challenges do not worry me at all and I believe wholeheartedly I will be able to advance in my professional career with little to no hindrance. Of course there are specialties that are very difficult for DO physicians to enter which could sway ones to decision to attend another school. With all of that said, I have seen zero prejudice between the two at least in the hospital setting. Patient care is the number one priority. Not the credentials behind one's name.

Last edited:
I specifically chose to apply to DO for a number of reasons. They may not be 'voluntary' but I do believe in my heart DO would have been a fine choice even with an MD acceptance. I wouldn't go to a low end MD school as compared to RVUCOM or others.

1. Strategy. I'm poor. I only had the funds for one shot, so I invested wisely. Going through both the AMCAS and AACOMAS system would have limited the amount of schools I could apply to in my secondary. So I stuck with DO.
  2. Timing. I retook the MCAT. My scores came out in early september. I would have been verified in early october for MD, and thats too late really. However for DO, it's not early, but its not late either.
  3. DO's have an outstanding reputation in my community. MD providers don't stay. DO's do. People know DO's and seem to prefer them (for whatever reason)
  4. My friends are DO's. They've had nothing but great things to say about it. I emulated my med school plan of attack after what they did. Figured it worked for them, should work for me. It worked and I got into every DO school I interviewed at.
  5. I love the DO schools. I got into schools with very new facilities and they're gorgeous. Not to say that MD schools aren't, but the DO schools seem to be a lot more earth-based and friendly, as well as new, as compared to the MD schools my peers have applied at.

No one applies DO without having any other choice (I.e. can't get into MD). Nothing wrong with being a DO, but forever people will associate your two letters with "couldn't get into MD"

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you are not a troll.

I chose to apply only to DO schools. My reasons stemmed from the fact that I wanted to learn OMT because I viewed it as a potential tool for primary care, an area I plan on going into. I also viewed the merger as basically both association viewing DO and MD as the same.

I also think a lot of people applying to be physicians are now more open to osteopathic than the older generations. The idea of holistic medicine is no longer a DO only philosophy when it comes to care and there is also OMT courses for MDs. The idea that DOs are "quacks" is an archaic belief and the only people I have seen with that idea are older healthcare professionals, those is academia, and students who also view nurses as less than physicians.
Again, this "hierarchy" in medicine, is a very old-school view of how medicine is practiced nowadays. Also, there are bad DOs and MDs and there are good DOs and MDs. You can be a "quack" whether you are a DO or a MD. It depends on you because no school teaches their students to harm their patients.

Not trolling, writing an article on DO prejudice and trying to get a feel for the topic.

If you are really trying to get a feel for the topic of DO vs MD, I advise you going to http://www.osteopathic.org/osteopathic-health/about-dos/what-is-a-do/Pages/default.aspx. It talks about the movement to raise awareness about osteopathic medicine as provide contacts. Contact the higher ups in the AOA who are working to raise awareness about osteopathic while working to merge MD and DO residencies. I heard a talk from the President and it is very thought provoking.

and students who also view nurses as less than physicians.

Well put, a good outsider's perspective on the kind of people who hold such beliefs.

Why did this get so emotionally charged? I feel like I'm being ostracized for asking a simple question. Is this issue really that sensitive?

P.S. Thank you to those who provided input. I think I have gained a better feel for the topic after starting this forum. It will make for a nice article! I'll post a link when I get finished. :D

Why did this get so emotionally charged? I feel like I'm being ostracized for asking a simple question. Is this issue really that sensitive?

P.S. Thank you to those who provided input. I think I have gained a better feel for the topic after starting this forum. It will make for a nice article! I'll post a link when I get finished. :D

Regardless, I'm certain that I speak for most people here in saying that I eagerly anticipate your article. Thanks for stopping by.

Can't wait to read your clearly unbiased and well-researched article! Hopefully it will explain the difference between MD quacks and DO quacks. Or maybe it will elaborate why you chose to ask trust-worthy and reliable anonymous sources on a pre-osteopathic internet forum in the middle of an application cycle; you know, when the premise of your question relies on whether people chose to go one way or another...

Oh, and you're not being "ostracized"; you are, however, being patronizing. I hope you have a dictionary handy while writing your article.

Sorry, @chizledfrmstone, I tried to behave. This thread being closed wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, though :whistle:

Reactions: 1 users
Can't wait to read your clearly unbiased and well-researched article! Hopefully it will explain the difference between MD quacks and DO quacks. Or maybe it will elaborate why you chose to ask trust-worthy and reliable anonymous sources on a pre-osteopathic internet forum in the middle of an application cycle; you know, when the premise of your question relies on whether people chose to go one way or another...

Oh, and you're not being "ostracized"; you are, however, being patronizing. I hope you have a dictionary handy while writing your article.

Sorry, @chizledfrmstone, I tried to behave. This thread being closed wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, though :whistle:

Somebody's a little sensitive. I don't see a need to get this angry unless you are actually insecure about the topic. Is this the case?