Is anyone using CPT code V58.69?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spinepain

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been asked to add this code to clinic followup visits when long term opioid medications have been prescribed.

LONG-TERM CURRENT USE OF OTHER MEDICATIONS (V58.69) - USE FOR PATIENTS ON HIGH RISK MEDICATION

Does anyone have experience with this code? Is it appropriate to use it for monthly "medication refill "visits? This is one I haven't seen before.
Thanks.

2006 ICD-9-CM Diagnosis V58.6

Long-term (current) drug use
View the most recent version of ICD-9-CM V58.6

V58.6 is a non-specific code that cannot be used to specify a diagnosis
View the ICD-9-CM Volume 1 V58.* hierarchy

V58.6 Excludes
drug abuse (305.00-305.93)
drug dependence (304.00-304.93)
hormone replacement therapy (postmenopausal) (V07.4)

Members don't see this ad.

You mean icd-9 code, right?

From what I understand, the V codes are to define clinical concerns, but not medical diagnoses. Malingering, for instance, has a V-code.

Concern for using this with a cpt for reimbursement is that it might get thrown out because by definition it doesn't describe a medical diagnosis.

It might help some statistician from CMS to see how many of us are worried about dangerous drugs, if we used it as a secondary code.

Yes, ICD 9 not CPT. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Concern for using this with a cpt for reimbursement is that it might get thrown out because by definition it doesn't describe a medical diagnosis.

Try billing Medicare for a pump refill w/o using V53.02.

Try billing Medicare for a pump refill w/o using V53.02.

If you say so, I believe it. I don't do pumps.

However, I tried med refills with this as primary, and the auditors from university billing advised me as I said above.