Is AP Calculus AB credit really enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MyTimeToTry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see that for most schools in NYS (where I will mostly be applying) 1 year of math is needed including statistics. I received a 5 on AP Calculus AB and my advisor is telling me that I have satisfied the requirement in terms of taking one semester of Calculus. However, I am unsure if I should take Calculus 1 or Calculus 2 or maybe both despite what she is saying (I am a little skeptical as to whether medical schools would accept the AP credit). To be honest, I cannot email or contact the schools because I am an incoming freshman and I have no idea which schools I will be applying to yet. I just want to be safe and be able to apply broadly / to **most** schools.

I signed up for 13 credits of classes for my freshman year fall term as of now:
-Chemistry (5 credits)
-Biology (4 credits)
-Core class (4 credits)

I was debating whether or not to add a Calculus class and if not Calculus a random core. My college is academically challenging (top 40), so maybe I should ease into things though?

By the way, I have done my research but to be honest I am so confused despite my advisor's assistance and I read all the other threads and there's so many people giving so many different answers.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken/are you planning on taking a stats class? If not, then you should definitely take that or calc ii in addition to your AB credit. Personally, I would strongly suggest Calc ii. You learn some really cool things!

Just keep in mind that this is coming from a math major going into her second year of college.

In all seriousness, though, if I am correct, most med schools require at least two semesters of math.

I've got a 5 on Calc BC (with the credit on my transcript) and have looked through the individual requirements pages of lots of schools... what I'm generally seeing is that a) the school doesn't have an official math requirement, b) the school only requires stats for math (probably the one I'm most commonly seeing?), c) the school requires one semester of whichever type of math of your choosing (stats or calc), or d) the school requires calc but WILL take AP credit for it (usually won't take AP credit for at least some of the specific core sciences).
Maybe this could be helpful too? (from 2012) http://students.rice.edu/uploadedFi..._Advising/AP Credit - Allopathic Medicine.pdf
Some junior at my school said that I should take Calc III, but as far as I'm seeing, that's really not necessary...