Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by UTman7777, 05.25.12.
SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
No, applying late is more dangerous and harmful than risking a higher score by 2-3 points. Especially so in your situation where your GPA is a concern, the 30 is good enough (balanced?). Basically, with any weak point in an application a late submission is probably the worst option. and should be at all costs avoided.
Going from a 30 to a 27-28 with a 3.15gpa more than likely will not produce positive results so it would not a good idea to apply with those numbers. You would probably need to retake.
Why did you retake in the first place? Your numbers as is should put you in a solid DO program.
Any difference if the retake is an effort to bring a 32 up to a 35? I was getting a nice steady stream 35's in practice. I know a 32 is good, but I was disappointed to end up three points below my average for no apparent reason. I'm trying to balance out a 3.15 cGPA (2.9 undergrad, 4.0 postbac).
That's my point. Your postbacc work is awesome. But I still think a 3.15 puts you in a DO school, And a 32 (or a 30 in the OP's case) is great for DO. So...no need to retake. That's my take on things, but maybe strong postbacc work is more valuable than I think it is. Either way, good luck.
Re-taking a 32 to balance out a GPA, not a smart thing especially a balanced 32....
I am kind of confused about why DO is my only option? With my 51 hours of solid Post-Bacc work at 4.0 and a 30 (hopefully more on my recent retake MCAT) and research and clinical support have I not proven that I am a serious candidate. The main weakness on my application is my grades and they have been addressed.
Basically from the response that I have gotten, even though my low gpa was in undergrad which was in 2002-2006 and all my postbacc work has been in 2010-2011 I will still be penalized for those scores.I understand not being considered a 4.0 student but I am just asking to be considered for low tier MD programs.
You are vastly underestimating the competitiveness of all allopathic MD schools.
Don't let the naysayers get to you. Apply MD. I think your outstanding post-bac work will highlight an upward trend in grades, showing persistence and improved study skills. Emphasize that in your PS/secondaries/interviews. My own opinion is that you should still apply early (as in, don't wait until you get the scores back from a retake in late July). Most people feel like crap after the MCAT (I was convinced I got a 25-27 but ended up with a 32; you just can't trust your exhausted mindset and you don't know what the curve will be like)....so I wouldn't let this fear keep you from getting the benefits of applying early.
Apply now because I don't think you'll be immediately screened out from low tier MD schools if you have a 4.0 postbac GPA and a 30 MCAT, regardless of undergrad GPA. And if you retake in late July and get your scores back in August, send them an update with the improved score. Again, I don't think you'll be rejected before September or October. Applying early will give you access to those secondaries, and turning those around quickly is important.
But take all this with a grain of salt, I'm just a lowly premed too
Do an SMP. You'll easily get in, and if you can get a 4.0 post-bacc, you most likely have what it takes to get As in an SMP. Then you'll be in an MD school in a year with a masters degree. I agree that your undergrad grades will keep you out of US med schools, including the "lower-tier" ones. It's unfair, but that's how the deck is stacked. This is just my $0.02.
I agree bud. I think you should shoot for MD, but a sub-3.4 GPA is tough for US Allo IMO. See what your score is, but automatic filters are not going to like your primary with such a low GPA.
I'd suggest either a post-bac/masters degree to pump up the GPA or a DO school. Check out the AMCAS charts for chances of getting in with those stats and you'll see it's less than 20%
So when I get my score on Jun 13th even if it is the same as I had before (30) or a 31 I should not retake and just apply because applying early is important.
However if it is lower then I should retake in late July.
Also I am a Texas resident and hoping to get in through TMDSAS if that changes anything.
Thanks for all the responses guys. Just confused and wanting to get some answers!
This is my advice: I'd wait the 2 weeks until you get your score. Fill out your AMCAS, write your PS, pick schools, etc and have everything as ready as you can (in other words, continue business as normal but don't submit). When you get your score back you will be more informed.
This chart is from the AAMC and will give you an idea of what your chances are: https://www.aamc.org/download/270906/data/table24-mcatgpagridall0911.pdf
(keep in mind that confounding variables such as URM status and undergrad grade-deflation play into this)
I'm not going to sugar coat it-your GPA is very low for Allopathic MD. I think even with a 35 MCAT, you are still going to have a hard time unless you apply extremely broadly. Tx is nice because it has so many options and is totally in-state. But I strongly suggest adding some DO schools to your list.
See what happens, try your best. If you are completely set on an MD allopathic, then I would suggest doing a heavy-science post-bac/pre-med program to get the GPA up. This thought should be on the forefront before taking the mcat again in July. Good luck.
Separate names with a comma.