Is applying for different residency specialties indeed decreasing your chances to match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zyovka

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, can somebody explain, why applying for several ( 2 or 3) different residency specialties may decrease your chances to match? It was some time ago, that I was participating in a webinar with Steven R. Daugherty from Becker, and he mentioned that yes, indeed, you'd be much better set by applying only for one specialty, like IM or Pathology, for example. I just don't get it. Thx for any inputs.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if they can all see the match list but I am assuming they do with this answer. Maybe it just doesn't show the 100% commitment that plenty of other applicants have. Also say you list specialty A first for a bunch of places then start listing specialty B, it could show directors in specialty B they are just a backup and would rather take people who rank their program higher.

I'm not sure if they can all see the match list but I am assuming they do with this answer. Maybe it just doesn't show the 100% commitment that plenty of other applicants have. Also say you list specialty A first for a bunch of places then start listing specialty B, it could show directors in specialty B they are just a backup and would rather take people who rank their program higher.
Look what I have found on NRMP website: "Your rank order list is confidential and never will be shared with the programs. You are the only person, other than NRMP staff, who can access your ROL unless you give your username and password to someone else" Go guess...

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe the reason people think you limit your match options if you apply for both residencies at the same hospital--if you apply for IM and pathology, and that hospital knows you are looking at both (or maybe your home hospital) then they might not take you as seriously. If you apply for IM at 10 hospitals and then pathology at 4 different hospitals (maybe you have a regional need to stay in an area? or only want to do path if its at the best residency then otherwise forget it and do medicine) then technically I am not sure how you get hurt. I think the getting hurt comes from 1. if your letter writers know you are applying for both, they wont think you are that serious (so its probably good to keep it secret) and 2. if a program knows you applied for both in their hospital (technically they might not, I doubt path and IM compare interview lists for example but maybe you would be seen on the interview day?) they might be afraid you'll be flakey/not dedicated during residency/might not take you seriously/be afraid you'll rank them lower than the other specialty in their hospital. In terms of the match algorithm it shouldn't hurt you at all, I don't think--I think its more a matter of politics.

As long as you have separate letters for both fields it won't hurt you. Your rank list would be the same listing 3 different specialties or 3 times the number of programs. You can rank a bunch of programs where you didn't even interview at the top of your list, (you know, to show your friends) and it won't change your match.
BTW, Who is Steven Daugherty and why are you listening to his webinars?
The only advantage I see is simplicity, and being able to tailor your research and involvement to one desired specialty.

Last edited: