Is becoming an "Honors" student worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalmnt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a junior at my new school (4year to 4year transfer student). I received an e-mail from my college's advisor recommending that I apply for the honors program.

From lurking through the old honors program threads it seems like they're just a CV/resume booster and don't make up for a bad GPA/MCAT. However, the honors program offers special courses that are restricted to honors students, granted they'll be harder and 100% sure there is no curving on exams, but is it worth it?

I'm interested in the classes offered and the bonuses that come with it but definitely being an MD is >>>>.
Is/was anyone an honors student and did it make being a pre-med harder or easier?
(I have my junior year to get a 4.0 GPA and bust ass or my MD chances are out imo.)

Members don't see this ad.

I am not an honors student, but those that I do know are some of the busiest people I know. They are all very intelligent and make great use of their time (like most pre-med students - honors or not). I think if anything it will be another box to check on your application to put you slightly above the next applicant with nearly-identical stats.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, honors students had access to more courses, earlier registration, competent advisors, were pushed to do more on campus activities, and many professors were unlikely to consider non-honors students for research in their labs. Some of them also got scholarships. Those things would improve your chances regardless of whether the "honors" tag gave any benefit.

As to what might make things more difficult, they were required to complete certain activities and I think they had to do a thesis.

That said, the benefits and difficulties associated with being in your school's honors college are specific to your school.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you should just stick to typical, non honors classes and do something more meaningful with your spare time like volunteering or getting a medical job instead of working twice as hard for a class in the honors program

The only real advantage of honors programs are when there are added benefits and opportunities, such as scholarships, study abroad, special ECs, special perks, or whatever. In general, though, just having the distinction of "honors student" won't do anything for med school admissions. Don't kill your GPA with honors classes, because med schools won't care. But if you can get some money or life-changing experience out of the program, go for it.

I'm part of the honors program at my school and have taken honors classes. It's been an enriching and rewarding experience and I definitely don't regret anything. With that said, it's probably not worth sacrificing your time unless satisfying your intellectual curiosity is worth it.

If you feel you won't be able to do well and your GPA will take a hit, stick to regular classes.

We really don't have a preference.
To clarify this, medical school adcoms don't particularly care if you checked the box of being part of an honors program.

That said, if the content of the courses and the peers you interact with from the program profoundly change you and allow you to more clearly articulate your thoughts, beliefs, and passions... They will care about your participation in the honors program inadvertently.

Honors made a huge difference for me... Not because I checked a box, but because it allowed me to take thought provoking courses within an intellectual community of friends :).

To clarify this, medical school adcoms don't particularly care if you checked the box of being part of an honors program.

That said, if the content of the courses and the peers you interact with from the program profoundly change you and allow you to more clearly articulate your thoughts, beliefs, and passions... They will care about your participation in the honors program inadvertently.

Honors made a huge difference for me... Not because I checked a box, but because it allowed me to take thought provoking courses within an intellectual community of friends :).
Choosing a path that strengthens you, broadens your views and makes you a keener observer of the human experience is good preparation for medicine. An "honors" program may be that choice, but we will judge only the effect.

Oh god... There are definitely a lot of perks (free tuition, scholarships, networking). I don't regret it but it definitely didn't add anything special to my app (that I know of). If you want to do it, go ahead. The only bad thing that happened to me is I took honors genetics and got a C. That was my only C and it was like a 79.36 (the prof was a dick). So it's basically hit or miss and depends on your goals and what you want out of college.

One good EC > the honors check mark on your application. The "extras" that others have written about, such as access to better research, study abroad, etc.,can make it worth it, but chances are, it wont.

If I were you I'd join the honors program, use their resources (class registration, special classes, etc) and decide later if I want to pursue the full honors degree. But in my opinion, honors degree itself is a waste of time. Too many requirements for a label no one really cares about.

If your grades begin to suffer because of it, then it's obviously going to hurt you. A lot of honors programs exist for your personal enrichment. I was in the honors program in my undergrad and had the opportunity to take a variety of classes that focused on some pretty unique topics. I actually got to talk about these at some of my interviews. If you think you are academically strong enough and are interested in the classes they have to offer, go for it.