Is Being a Tutor Beneficial?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMajorUndergrad18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!!

My fellows classmates and two of my psychology professors have recommended that I become a tutor for the applied statistics and research methods class. I really enjoy helping each my fellow classmates with they stats and research methods work but I am not sure if it is beneficial to do this during some of the free time I have on my off days and in between classes.

Basically what I am trying to say is that do you think tutoring applied stats and research method students be helpful for future grad school applications (MA or PhD applications) or not?

Thanks everyone!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone!!

My fellows classmates and two of my psychology professors have recommended that I become a tutor for the applied statistics and research methods class. I really enjoy helping each my fellow classmates with they stats and research methods work but I am not sure if it is beneficial to do this during some of the free time I have on my off days and in between classes.

Basically what I am trying to say is that do you think tutoring applied stats and research method students be helpful for future grad school applications (MA or PhD applications) or not?

Thanks everyone!!

It's probably not going to hurt you, that's for sure. I think many programs like to see students who have sound knowledge of statistics and research methods, and tutoring other students may lend evidence to that. If anything, you'll have to study less for the Quant section of the GRE since you've been actively using your stats knowledge. My 0.2 cents.

Edit: Ditto to above. If you can get research experience instead, do that.

In regards to research experience, how should I go about asking a professor who runs a lab to help out? Should I just be like "Hey! I was wondering if I could possibly help out with your lab? to a professor in my department?

Members don't see this ad :)
In regards to research experience, how should I go about asking a professor who runs a lab to help out? Should I just be like "Hey! I was wondering if I could possibly help out with your lab? to a professor in my department?

Oftentimes around the psych dept. building there will be advertisements for undergraduate research assistants. You could also look at the lab websites of faculty at your school, as they will often advertise there too. At the very least, look at what they research and figure out if your interests match that.

Alternatively, yes, you can ask them pretty directly. Even if they aren't, they probably know of other faculty that are looking for assistants.

Thanks! I know that my department offers a 3 credits "class" where you get to work in a lab as a lab assistant but I have not really heard of any ads posted other than my schools Psi Chi chapter offering their members the ability to do their own research and then present it at an APS or EPA conference.

Thanks! I know that my department offers a 3 credits "class" where you get to work in a lab as a lab assistant but I have not really heard of any ads posted other than my schools Psi Chi chapter offering their members the ability to do their own research and then present it at an APS or EPA conference.

That sounds like a very beneficial opportunity for graduate school applications, and generally you would conduct your own research under the guidance of a faculty mentor which you'd likely have to seek out anyway. Definitely get as many conference presentations as you can get (and a big bonus if you can turn any of that into published work!)

Being a tutor will always be seen as a plus on your CV and those are good solid classes. I would ask the professor directly about getting research experience. They usually have some posted office hours to chat with them and definitely sign up for the lab class.

Thanks everyone!! I'm just kinda scared to go into a professors office (even one that I know) and ask to help out with research. Especially since I am just starting to learn how to conduct statistical tests and learning how to research (just learnt about hypothesis testing using the z-statistics, confidence intervals and effect sizes).

Thanks everyone!! I'm just kinda scared to go into a professors office (even one that I know) and ask to help out with research. Especially since I am just starting to learn how to conduct statistical tests and learning how to research (just learnt about hypothesis testing using the z-statistics, confidence intervals and effect sizes).
As someone who has taught college students, I loved it when students come to talk to me about how to get involved more in the field. The students who came to talk to me I also was able to write letters of rec for since I knew a bit more about them. So even if the prof doesn't have room, it will pay off. Also, it's just irrational beliefs that are holding you back and it might be good practice to start challenging them.

Thank you smalltownpsych for the advice. I just sent out my first email to become a volunteer for my school's cognitive memory and development lab and am now I am sending out a email to see if I could volunteer in another professor's Audiovisual Perception Lab. I'm also going to talk to my Applied Stats professor about volunteering in her numerical cognition lab

Yeah I know that. I just send out a email to see if there is a opening but I will only focus on one lab