Is being hospital staff pharmacist that bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's not that bad....one of the biggest pains is the Joint Commision's list of "dangerous abbreviations". Most of these came out about 2 years ago, but we STILL have docs using them on a daily basis. We cannot enter or fill the orders until the orders have been re-written. It's frustrating that MDs/RNs cannot follow simple guidlelines and blame us for not sending the meds when we have notified them several times.

We also have a doc that refuses to write mg/mcg, etc on his orders.
Atenolol 50 PO QD, nexium 40, etc.

Ummm, still not going to enter it....our manager has supposedly talked to him multiple times. I told the nursing staff to write him up every time they have to re-write his orders.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not that bad....one of the biggest pains is the Joint Commision's list of "dangerous abbreviations". Most of these came out about 2 years ago, but we STILL have docs using them on a daily basis. We cannot enter or fill the orders until the orders have been re-written. It's frustrating that MDs/RNs cannot follow simple guidlelines and blame us for not sending the meds when we have notified them several times.

We also have a doc that refuses to write mg/mcg, etc on his orders.
Atenolol 50 PO QD, nexium 40, etc.

Ummm, still not going to enter it....our manager has supposedly talked to him multiple times. I told the nursing staff to write him up every time they have to re-write his orders.

And what exactly does this do to help the pt????

Why doesn't your dop go to P&T & get a standing order to have all noncompliant JCAHO orders rewritten by the pharmacist? Instead your manager is putting the "blame" on prescribers rather than empowering his pharmacist staff to bring clarification to prevent error.

This is why pharmacists get such a bad reputation. Yes....these are dangerous abbreviations, but come on - this is well within the realm of a pharmacist to rewrite them clearly & with conformity without delaying pt care.

Why doesn't your dop go to P&T & get a standing order to have all noncompliant JCAHO orders rewritten by the pharmacist? Instead your manager is putting the "blame" on prescribers rather than empowering his pharmacist staff to bring clarification to prevent error.

This is why pharmacists get such a bad reputation. Yes....these are dangerous abbreviations, but come on - this is well within the realm of a pharmacist to rewrite them clearly & with conformity without delaying pt care.

that is a great idea!
i have co-workers who just keep bouncing back faxes to the floors for days...just for stupid abbreviation!
why can't we just fix it and move on?

Members don't see this ad :)

I have to agree, as a pharmacist your job is to facilitate the patient receiving their medication in a timely and efficient manner regardless of how the prescriber orders the medication. Obviously, if their needs to be clarification because of doubt then by all means do so. But to clarify so as to prove a point does nothing but delay a patient receiving their medication.

It doesn't help the patient at all. I can see both sides - we should be able to re-write the orders. I know what they mean. Sometimes we wait hours, and 90% of the time, the nurses are re-writing the orders. It seems to be only the same handful of docs that CONTINOUSLY do it. I think this is a more hospital administration issue in our case - supposedly the hospital system got cited by JHACO on accredidation inspection because of "dangerous abbreviation" orders were being filled without a "corrected" order. I believe the doctors are being "reprimanded" for not being able to follow simple requests that certain abbreviations not be used.

BUT, some the abbreviations were on the JHACO list of national saftey goals in 2005. The doctors have known about this for years. I don't understand why they still feel the need to write QD or MSO4, when they are fully aware that there will be NO requests/clarifications/calls if they simply write out DAILY or Morphine Sulfate?
I think if we are able to re-write every order after clarification, that gives the MD no incentive to ever change. I don't see why I need to make up for laziness. Standardization of how orders are written would eliminate such problems.

Considering they are called the National Patient Safety Goals list of abbreviations not to be used throughout the organization, they are part of the organization- I don't see why docs should get to pick and choose which ones they follow.

I have to agree, as a pharmacist your job is to facilitate the patient receiving their medication in a timely and efficient manner regardless of how the prescriber orders the medication. Obviously, if their needs to be clarification because of doubt then by all means do so. But to clarify so as to prove a point does nothing but delay a patient receiving their medication.

I completely agree, but when there is hospital accrediation at stake, the rules change.
I think the point to prove is that all MDs need to be compliant with JHACO and hospital system policies.

I believe it applies everywhere - docs cannot write for PT/INR QD or monitor I/O QD.
I guess the question is then is the lab techs allowed to rewrite the order to make it compliant?

It doesn't help the patient at all. I can see both sides - we should be able to re-write the orders. I know what they mean. Sometimes we wait hours, and 90% of the time, the nurses are re-writing the orders. It seems to be only the same handful of docs that CONTINOUSLY do it. I think this is a more hospital administration issue in our case - supposedly the hospital system got cited by JHACO on accredidation inspection because of "dangerous abbreviation" orders were being filled without a "corrected" order. I believe the doctors are being "reprimanded" for not being able to follow simple requests that certain abbreviations not be used.

BUT, some the abbreviations were on the JHACO list of national saftey goals in 2005. The doctors have known about this for years. I don't understand why they still feel the need to write QD or MSO4, when they are fully aware that there will be NO requests/clarifications/calls if they simply write out DAILY or Morphine Sulfate?
I think if we are able to re-write every order after clarification, that gives the MD no incentive to ever change. I don't see why I need to make up for laziness. Standardization of how orders are written would eliminate such problems.

Considering they are called the National Patient Safety Goals list of abbreviations not to be used throughout the organization, they are part of the organization- I don't see why docs should get to pick and choose which ones they follow.

The reason prescribers fall back on the "routine" qd or MS....is because they've been doing it for years - I can relate!!! Also - prescribers are not a part of JCAHO - they are providers in a hospital that must comply with JCAHO regulations to obtain federal funding (Medicare reimbursement). So...the "reprimand" they receive is ludicrious - what could the possible result be??? Do you think they'd lose their privileges because they write DSS 250mg qd prn???? Not likely!

When I take a verbal order for hydrochlorothiazide - I write it down as hctz then transcribe it later correctly. I've been writing MS or qd or q4-6 h prn pain for decades! These are very difficult habits to correct. Altho its important to pt care - trying to change a prescriber's habits is very, very difficult. Studies have actually borne this out - remember - to be an independent prescriber - a physician has spent at least 2 years on clinical rotations during medical school & a minimum of 1 year PG & up to 6-7 yrs PG. Then....you take someone who has been out in practice for 5, 10, 20 years....this issue becomes like trying to hammer in a pin with a sledgehammer...

Very typical of JCAHO!!!!

Why don't you feel as though you could provide this service to facilitate pt care? Is it because lab techs don't or can't (I really don't know the answer to this....) This is purely a pharmacy issue when it relates to drugs & one which pharmacy can facilitate the answer to. How is your dept's relationship with these prescribers? I'm guessing not so good. Could your dept step up & take on this task without judgement (ie - laziness - which may be a huge assumption on your part). It takes absolutely no time at all to rewrite & correct & will make your dept appear to be the answer to the administration's issue with being cited, the physician's bad habits & the nurses being tremendously overworked & having to take on yet one more inane JCAHO task! Your dept now becomes the hero - not the police.

Think about it!

The reason prescribers fall back on the "routine" qd or MS....is because they've been doing it for years - I can relate!!! Also - prescribers are not a part of JCAHO - they are providers in a hospital that must comply with JCAHO regulations to obtain federal funding (Medicare reimbursement). So...the "reprimand" they receive is ludicrious - what could the possible result be??? Do you think they'd lose their privileges because they write DSS 250mg qd prn???? Not likely!

When I take a verbal order for hydrochlorothiazide - I write it down as hctz then transcribe it later correctly. I've been writing MS or qd or q4-6 h prn pain for decades! These are very difficult habits to correct. Altho its important to pt care - trying to change a prescriber's habits is very, very difficult. Studies have actually borne this out - remember - to be an independent prescriber - a physician has spent at least 2 years on clinical rotations during medical school & a minimum of 1 year PG & up to 6-7 yrs PG. Then....you take someone who has been out in practice for 5, 10, 20 years....this issue becomes like trying to hammer in a pin with a sledgehammer...

Very typical of JCAHO!!!!

Why don't you feel as though you could provide this service to facilitate pt care? Is it because lab techs don't or can't (I really don't know the answer to this....) This is purely a pharmacy issue when it relates to drugs & one which pharmacy can facilitate the answer to. How is your dept's relationship with these prescribers? I'm guessing not so good. Could your dept step up & take on this task without judgement (ie - laziness - which may be a huge assumption on your part). It takes absolutely no time at all to rewrite & correct & will make your dept appear to be the answer to the administration's issue with being cited, the physician's bad habits & the nurses being tremendously overworked & having to take on yet one more inane JCAHO task! Your dept now becomes the hero - not the police.

Think about it!

I agree with much of what you said.

I think the problem is what you mentioned - the history between the pharmacists and physicians may not be the best - this particular hospital is in the process of becoming decentralized (was supposed to be 2 years ago) and I don't know if it is going to be successful.

I'm going to start looking for a new job.....

you know of any pharmacists who worked at any Mayo facility?

Is it true? I hear that all they do is sit in a deep basement and enter prescription orders into the system. In addition they make less than their retail coleagues. Somebody even told me that their benefits are worse. I would like to work in a hospital, but I am not gonna do a residency, therefore clinical pharmacy is out of the question. No wonder some hospitals are experiencing even worse shortage of pharmacists than retail.

2020 Update:

Hospital is the most stable job in the pharmacy world and probably delivers the best schedule for work/life balance. I'm never leaving the hospital life ever again. Biggest mistake of my life was to leave hospital to dabble in independent pharmacy.

My only problem with Hospital Pharmacy is being placed in the basement. I work night shift in an area with no light pollution. I want to be on the top floor with a view of the stars.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I was thinking all these people were crazy then I noticed the year this post was from...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
2020 Update:

Hospital is the most stable job in the pharmacy world and probably delivers the best schedule for work/life balance. I'm never leaving the hospital life ever again. Biggest mistake of my life was to leave hospital to dabble in independent pharmacy.

My only problem with Hospital Pharmacy is being placed in the basement. I work night shift in an area with no light pollution. I want to be on the top floor with a view of the stars.
work/life balance? Maybe for you but for me it's terrible.

Maybe this is pedantry but "Nexium 40" does specify the strength. It is the unit that is lopped off

I don't even write units on phone scripts.

I will try to clarify it for you. I don't want to be a clin. pharmacist for the reasons I provided earlier. I started this thread to find out in what kind of environment staff pharmacists have to work and do they do anything else beside entering orders. If that is the case, I will find myself a job somewhere else than a hospital pharmacy.
You can leave your frustrations to yourself - this is not a psychologist's office. I know I am not gonna enter clinical pharmacy with the intentions to change or even to revolutionize it. That is not my style. Maybe that's bad, maybe not, but that's me. I know my capabilities and limitations. Is that a little clearer?

If you are not interested in hospital, what better options do you think you will have. I would be grateful for the hospital opportunity without a residency. Hospital pharmacy has a much better quality of life than retail.

Working for a retail chain is worse. You deal with angry customers, you deal with your manager pushing metrics, and you still have to insure that what you dispense is safe to the patient. Not to mention the cut in hours and salary. Retail salary is now close to hospital pharmacy salary. Plus, you don’t get to sit down or eat lunch at many chains.

Other options: Home infusion, not many job positions, LTC, not many job positions, and independent pharmacies not many job positions. Nuclear pharmacy- not many job positions.
Industry- needs a fellowship.

Majority of jobs are retail or hospital. And most hospital jobs require a residency or two years hospital experience, if I were you, I would be very grateful for getting a hospital job without a residency

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are not interested in hospital, what better options do you think you will have. I would be grateful for the hospital opportunity without a residency. Hospital pharmacy has a much better quality of life than retail.

Working for a retail chain is worse. You deal with angry customers, you deal with your manager pushing metrics, and you still have to insure that what you dispense is safe to the patient. Not to mention the cut in hours and salary. Retail salary is now close to hospital pharmacy salary. Plus, you don’t get to sit down or eat lunch at many chains.

Other options: Home infusion, not many job positions, LTC, not many job positions, and independent pharmacies not many job positions. Nuclear pharmacy- not many job positions.

Majority of jobs are retail or hospital. And most hospital jobs require a residency or two years hospital experience, if I were you, I would be very grateful for getting a hospital job without a residency

this is a 13 year old post, i don't think OP will respond lol

Staffing shouldn’t require residency IMO. It boggles my mind why DOPs are requiring it. The majority of hospital Pharmacists that I have met here in NY don’t have one. Either they were interns or referred by a friend or family.

Staffing shouldn’t require residency IMO. It boggles my mind why DOPs are requiring it. The majority of hospital Pharmacists that I have met here in NY don’t have one. Either they were interns or referred by a friend or family.

I agree but if the market is already saturated with residency-trained pharmacist, might as well make it a requirement and weave out extra applicants.

dude you responded to a post from 13 years ago with your current mindset lmao

• Haha
You know SDN is dying when people necro bump a thread from 13 years ago and start replying to OP without skipping a beat.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Ah, the memories. I apparently missed this thread originally, but then I would have been on maternity leave at the time. Back then I would read, but not post, because my arms were full of kids.

13 years later, it`s million times better than sitting home and do nothing.

Ah, the memories. I apparently missed this thread originally, but then I would have been on maternity leave at the time. Back then I would read, but not post, because my arms were full of kids.
Just being nosy...you have maybe 20 years in now? How much longer do you think you need or want to ride the Phcy biz? I, for example floundered thru 30...low level misery but paid well overall...I would not do it again...until about a year ago it was high speed ..well paid..drudgery...I guess that the well paid is no longer accurate?

I think they feel like they require less training if they are hiring straight out of pharmacy school. My place doesn't have a "clinical pharmacist" but they want staff pharmacists who can do clinical tasks.

work/life balance? Maybe for you but for me it's terrible.

Yeah, 7 nights on 7 nights off, you're literally off 26 weeks of the year.

26 weeks of the year that you can do whatever you want. Travel, extra shifts, more travel. Work hard, play hard.

The day shifters here work 4 days a week and every other weekend, 8 hour shifts, that kinda sucks.

I think they feel like they require less training if they are hiring straight out of pharmacy school. My place doesn't have a "clinical pharmacist" but they want staff pharmacists who can do clinical tasks.

My hospital last year hired a new grad without a residency and they're easily one of the worst pharmacists we have here. If that's the quality of new grads coming out nowadays, I can definitely see why management wants to hire residents instead.

Reactions: 2 users
I was in retail for 10 years and got into inpatient. It's a steep learning curve and I'm constantly doing critical care modules. My brain is learning again, which is a satisfying feeling but I'm definitely not where I need to be yet after six months! Having said that, this job is basically 1000000x better than any day in retail setting, despite having some odd shift hours that aren't always the best.

Last edited:
My hospital last year hired a new grad without a residency and they're easily one of the worst pharmacists we have here. If that's the quality of new grads coming out nowadays, I can definitely see why management wants to hire residents instead.
That’s one lucky new grad.

That’s one lucky new grad.

I mean, I got my first hospital job as a new grad without a residency. I was pretty good at getting up to speed but that's because clinical pharmacy/inpatient was my interest in pharmacy school. I quit CVS after P2 year because I saw all the new metrics and things being demanded from pharmacists and how my mentor got booted out of his store because of "customer service", so the **** what if he yelled at a customer for being stupid.

probably due to the lack of experience versus the seasoned pharmacists that have been working for years over at the hospital ?! I mean wouldn't it be weird if a fresh new grad was better than the pharmacists that were working at the hospital for god knows how long

probably due to the lack of experience versus the seasoned pharmacists that have been working for years over at the hospital ?! I mean wouldn't it be weird if a fresh new grad was better than the pharmacists that were working at the hospital for god knows how long

Well, it's been a year already and there's barely an improvement. I'm not necessarily talking about clinical knowledge; it's real easy common sense things. And it's not like the shift is busy; there's plenty of other pharmacists as well.

Just an example, they verified three separate sets of tapering scheduled phenobarbital orders to start simultaneously. Thiamine, multivitamin, folic acid verified to be given by IV, oral, and by banana bag. 3 separate fluids (one of which had the comment "1 liter only" was let through to be continuous). Three separate doctors ordered this, all verified by the same pharmacist.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
I mean, I got my first hospital job as a new grad without a residency. I was pretty good at getting up to speed but that's because clinical pharmacy/inpatient was my interest in pharmacy school. I quit CVS after P2 year because I saw all the new metrics and things being demanded from pharmacists and how my mentor got booted out of his store because of "customer service", so the **** what if he yelled at a customer for being stupid.
I am not sure when you graduated. But new grads are lucky these days to get a hospital staff jobs vs all PGY-1s and even some PGY-2s competing for those jobs.

I am not sure when you graduated. But new grads are lucky these days to get a hospital staff jobs vs all PGY-1s and even some PGY-2s competing for those jobs.

PGY doesn't even guarantee any jobs anymore, not sure the logic behind doing it these days

PGY doesn't even guarantee any jobs anymore, not sure the logic behind doing it these days
The logic is it gives you a better chance than a new grad at getting a hospital job. But fellowship in industry to the better route now

Last edited by a moderator:
Just being nosy...you have maybe 20 years in now? How much longer do you think you need or want to ride the Phcy biz? I, for example floundered thru 30...low level misery but paid well overall...I would not do it again...until about a year ago it was high speed ..well paid..drudgery...I guess that the well paid is no longer accurate?

Around 30 years. Honestly, with a large family to put through college and way below average pharmacist savings (I guess, compared to some of the threads here. My savings are above the average Americans,) I will need to be working until I'm 70. I am a boring person, I don't might drudgery.

Did you offer any training? What kind of hospital do you work at?

Back in 2007, retail was the bomb. You were treated like a rock star. You could just go up front and grab a Coke and say "Store use that ****. I'm the pharmacist." And they would. Without hesitation.

Now they'd fire you instantly.

Did you offer any training? What kind of hospital do you work at?

Standard training is 6 weeks, I believe we extended it to 8 in this case. Community hospital.

Back in 2007, retail was the bomb. You were treated like a rock star. You could just go up front and grab a Coke and say "Store use that ****. I'm the pharmacist." And they would. Without hesitation.

Now they'd fire you instantly.

I legitimately had a store manager tell me I had to buy a bag of candy before I started eating it.

I mean he was right but how petty can you get? I will pay for everything at end of my shift, don’t stress out.

I legitimately had a store manager tell me I had to buy a bag of candy before I started eating it.

I mean he was right but how petty can you get? I will pay for everything at end of my shift, don’t stress out.
We had a pharmacist who would always grab a bottle of Coke and pay for it whenever it was convenient during his shift untiil loss prevention realized that he was just taping the same old receipt to his bottle every day during a shift change. Obviously he was fired.

Still crazy to me that he was willing to lose his job over a $1 item.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

I don’t think that was an unreasonable request. I didn’t think they let people eat and drink whatever they want, and then pay at the end of the shift. Who has the time to keep track of what everyone is eating and drinking? Don’t stress them out for no reason! Lol. Their job sucks worse than ours.

Gosh, I remember in my retail days, there was this horrible mother who was letting her small child run through the store unattended. Child could have easily been hurt or snatched up. Anyway, the store manager had back problems and had just finished stocking the lower shelves, and rotating stock. Well, this demon child runs through with arms outstretched, and knocks over everything within reach. Then proceeds to run through the next aisle doing the same thing. If I was that store manager, I swear I would have walked out. You should have seen the mess.

Who has the time to keep track of what everyone is eating and drinking? Don’t stress them out for no reason! Lol. Their job sucks worse than ours.

He didn’t need to keep track. He didn’t need to stress out.

As for their job sucking worse than ours, agree to disagree. Lol

Standard training is 6 weeks, I believe we extended it to 8 in this case. Community hospital.

Do most hospitals offer 6 or so weeks of training? How about for part time/per diem rphs? Do they require consecutive days and weeks of training or are they flexible?

Do most hospitals offer 6 or so weeks of training? How about for part time/per diem rphs? Do they require consecutive days and weeks of training or are they flexible?
Yes, most offer 6 weeks of training. That may be different for part time or prn pharmacists. A lot of those pharmacists have other jobs anyway so they can’t train everyday. Some are only free on the weekends.

Yes, most offer 6 weeks of training. That may be different for part time or prn pharmacists. A lot of those pharmacists have other jobs anyway so they can’t train everyday. Some are only free on the weekends.
I started prn with a hospital last year and they asked if i could focus on the IV side since thats where they needed help the most at the time. I agreed and the plan was to eventually get trained in all other areas - but that never happened lol. To some extent due to my avoidance of awkward conversations and also due to the change in management. Recently expressed my interest in more training (so i could staff in all areas of the pharmacy) to the new manager. Their response was that I need to do 2-4 weeks consecutive training, to which I agreed (even though i think its overkill). But then they were like, actually it should be 6, possibly 8 weeks of strictly weekday training. What gets me is that they know my other job is FT M-F but are pushing for so much specifically weekday training. Theres no way I'd be able to do that. I feel like this is their process of getting rid of me

I started prn with a hospital last year and they asked if i could focus on the IV side since thats where they needed help the most at the time. I agreed and the plan was to eventually get trained in all other areas - but that never happened lol. To some extent due to my avoidance of awkward conversations and also due to the change in management. Recently expressed my interest in more training (so i could staff in all areas of the pharmacy) to the new manager. Their response was that I need to do 2-4 weeks consecutive training, to which I agreed (even though i think its overkill). But then they were like, actually it should be 6, possibly 8 weeks of strictly weekday training. What gets me is that they know my other job is FT M-F but are pushing for so much specifically weekday training. Theres no way I'd be able to do that. I feel like this is their process of getting rid of me
Based on my experience, it’s normal for them to want you to be trained every weekday for several weeks if you will be doing more than just working in central pharmacy doing dispensing and IVs. This is why prn and part time people usually just work in central pharmacy. There are scheduling conflicts with other jobs that don’t allow for that, and it’s also not a good return on investment for the employer. That would be a lot of time, effort, and costs they would ge putting into a prn person who won’t even be working that much.