Is being Kurren or Hmong still considered a URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YDeeBY

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are Kurren, Hmong, or Cambodian, is it still considered a URM for medical school or ORM?

What ethinicities are considered ORM?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are Kurren, Hmong, or Cambodian, is it still considered a URM for medical school or ORM?

I don't know anything about Kurren or Cambodian but I would definitely vote yes for Hmong as URM. In fact, it would seem ridiculous for them not to be considered as such. Call the medical schools you're interested in and ask.

It will depend on the individual medical school.
Hmong and Cambodian are definitely considered UIM at some CA schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It will depend on the individual medical school.
Hmong and Cambodian are definitely considered UIM at some CA schools.

Gyngyn, which schools specifically if you don't mind me asking? I have two Cambodian friends right now who are really considering Caribbean for whatever reason because of they feel they have a better shot, even though I told them how the consensus felt and a poor decision. Thank you.

As others have stated, "it depends." Using my current institution as an example, it has one of the largest Hmong populations in the US outside of CA (Wisconsin). As such, all Southeast Asians/Pacific Islanders (non-filipino) are considered URM, since there is a huge underserved population in our state.

In regards to ethnicities that are considered ORM everywhere - think East Asian, South Asian, and "White"