Is "Breaking Down the MCAT" Still Current?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteoth

Fake it till ya' make it
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to start studying for the MCAT this summer, and was planning to use the "Breaking Down the MCAT" schedule and materials, but I was wondering if those materials/schedule are still widely thought to be the best on here?

Just wanted to check since that guide was written 2 years ago.

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm going to start studying for the MCAT this summer, and was planning to use the "Breaking Down the MCAT" schedule and materials, but I was wondering if those materials/schedule are still widely thought to be the best on here?

Just wanted to check since that guide was written 2 years ago.

Thanks,

Haha, 20 day bump but I think I'll give it my two cents.

Answer: Yes it's still current and has worked wonders for many so go for it. Below is a brief note on what has changed so keep it mind while studying but don't change your the schedule because of it. Maybe leave out EK 1001 because a lot of my friends and people on here say they didn't help at all.

Here's the thing though. I feel that the MCAT has gotten more focused on molecular in the biology section. They don't ask as much physiology related material I feel. I think they are focusing more on molecular biology such as the Big 3 for DNA, some genetics, viruses, bacteria, etc. This being said, definitely still study physio or else you'll be screwed. There will still be some material but not as much. Other than that, I see very little change between exams from 4-5 years ago especially in other sections.

As for course load, priorities before exam IMO go:

Bio chem physics orgo (obviously) then biochem>genetics>physiology

Yes, it is still current. Whether it's the best or not is another matter.

Not to nitpick, but last time I checked the thread.. it made no mention of the AAMC Self-Assessments (could have changed) and that probably should play a HUGE role given it is the best prep material outside the AAMC FLs.

Otherwise, it's great. I suggest giving it a try for the first few days and then adjusting to fit your personal schedule, study style or resources.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to nitpick, but last time I checked the thread.. it made no mention of the AAMC Self-Assessments (could have changed) and that probably should play a HUGE role given it is the best prep material outside the AAMC FLs.

Otherwise, it's great. I suggest giving it a try for the first few days and then adjusting to fit your personal schedule, study style or resources.

Ah you're right, I forgot to add that in. I'll hopefully get to it later.

Awesome, I tried to PM you about it but the site wouldn't let me. You probably get too many PMs so got it turned off for ya. I had another idea for it that I'm slowly working on, will post somewhere or PM you if it lets me.

So with the AAMC Self-Assessment Package:

Is it best to use before you start the schedule? After you complete content review and start FLs?

What's the best way to use it?

So with the AAMC Self-Assessment Package:

Is it best to use before you start the schedule? After you complete content review and start FLs?

What's the best way to use it?

I think its intended to be used before content review.. but honestly, I'd take it right after content review before you begin your FLs.

It will clue you in on what topics you should be brushing up on in between FL days.

That would be lovely! I didn't end up using it because I didn't have time with the schedule, so you may have to extend it or cut something out.

do the self-assessment package come with the FLs? and any idea how much would they cost and what would be the best time to purchase both FLs and self assesment packages?