Is calculus a pre req for most vet schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sie_kath

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is calc required form most or is it just stats and pre calc?

Members don't see this ad.

Is calc required form most or is it just stats and pre calc?
It strictly depends on the school. I think when I was applying I only had two or three schools that I looked at (out of maybe 15-20?) that required calculus.

I think for most schools you will be fine with stats/college algebra, but you can look at the school websites to be sure.

And be aware that by the time you apply, some schools may have changed their requirements since your initial plan.
I avoided doing a public speaking class, because I'd rather do anything then that class (like many people feel about math). By the time I got to applying there was a few schools that had since added it to their prerequisites, and I eliminated a few schools I would have liked to apply to

Members don't see this ad :)
Last I checked, there are only a handful of vet schools that outright require calculus (Purdue and U of Florida come to mind; there may be one or two more). For the overwhelming majority of schools, pre-calculus and statistics should suffice, but definitely check the websites of the specific schools you are interested in just to be sure.

Personally, I have taken both calculus and statistics, and would say that the latter class has been far, far more useful to me -- I got to apply all of it working as a statistician for a couple of research projects, it's given me a edge in several classes (molecular cell biology, immunology, ecology), and it's a a great skill to have even when you're doing something as simple as reading published papers. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'm not a fan of vet schools requiring calculus; I actually think it's way overkill. If anything, statistics should probably be recommended/required more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
My Animal Sciences required both calc 1 and calc 2. Purdue requires 1 semester.. my grade was better in calc 2 than calc 1 (because of how the curve works).. is there a way for me to give them my calc 2 rather than calc 1 or no?

My Animal Sciences required both calc 1 and calc 2. Purdue requires 1 semester.. my grade was better in calc 2 than calc 1 (because of how the curve works).. is there a way for me to give them my calc 2 rather than calc 1 or no?

That also depends on the school. I took both Biochem I and II and did way better in II. I had to ask each of my individual schools if they would take my Biochem II over the I. About half said yes, the other half said no.

No, most schools don't require it but there are a few that do. I had to cross UF off my list because they required it and I couldn't do well in it while taking my other classes. I HIGHLY recommend taking it over the summer instead of during the semester if you can, I wish I would have done that instead of having to pay for it, suffer through a few weeks of it, then dropping because it was too much with other classes. BUT everyone is different, if you are good at math then it shouldn't be too bad.

Last I checked, there are only a handful of vet schools that outright require calculus (Purdue and U of Florida come to mind; there may be one or two more). For the overwhelming majority of schools, pre-calculus and statistics should suffice, but definitely check the websites of the specific schools you are interested in just to be sure.

Personally, I have taken both calculus and statistics, and would say that the latter class has been far, far more useful to me -- I got to apply all of it working as a statistician for a couple of research projects, it's given me a edge in several classes (molecular cell biology, immunology, ecology), and it's a a great skill to have even when you're doing something as simple as reading published papers. Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I'm not a fan of vet schools requiring calculus; I actually think it's way overkill. If anything, statistics should probably be recommended/required more.
This!! Stats is soooooo useful. I've taken differential, and am now taking integral calculus because my degree requires them, and they are miserable!

As a note, while most schools settle for precal and stats, they will accept calculus if you've taken it. I know LSU is a vetoing mine.