Is calculus still a prerequisite?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zoops

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
While talking to my advisor today to discuss which classes to take next semester, she questioned my choice of Calculus and said that many medical programs were dropping this prerequisite and a basic math class would suffice. I feel like I'm hearing this many times yet whenever i check the admissions for schools they seem to want a basis in calculus, any opinions on this?

Members don't see this ad.

I met with a premed counselor in my undergrad institution recently, and as far as this was concerned, it is still required based on several school sites we looked at

Thanks! I've taken calc before and I'm not necessarily afraid of taking it again, but would rather take a basic level math course any day.

Members don't see this ad :)
While talking to my advisor today to discuss which classes to take next semester, she questioned my choice of Calculus and said that many medical programs were dropping this prerequisite and a basic math class would suffice. I feel like I'm hearing this many times yet whenever i check the admissions for schools they seem to want a basis in calculus, any opinions on this?
It depends on the schools you plan to target. Here is a compilation of med school math requirements for those starting in 2015: http://www.brynmawr.edu/healthpro/documents/MedSchoolMathReq2015.pdf

Reactions: 2 users
There are 11 MD schools that still require calculus. Of them, 4 are UC medical schools (not worth worrying about their requirements unless you live in California or a psychic told you you'll get a 43 on your MCAT), and the rest are Harvard (you're nuts if you bank on getting into Harvard), Warren Alpert, U of Mississippi, Virginia Tech, Washington University, Icahn, and Duke.

IMHO, as someone who doesn't enjoy math, it's really not worth taking calculus unless you live in California or already have an acceptance in-hand for one of the other schools still requiring calculus.

When I was a freshman I took both calc 1 and 2 because I thought they were required by med schools lol. But only like 10 require it. Still glad I took it though.

Yea to be clear, I was looking at Ca schools, lol

There are 11 MD schools that still require calculus. Of them, 4 are UC medical schools (not worth worrying about their requirements unless you live in California or a psychic told you you'll get a 43 on your MCAT), and the rest are Harvard (you're nuts if you bank on getting into Harvard), Warren Alpert, U of Mississippi, Virginia Tech, Washington University, Icahn, and Duke.

IMHO, as someone who doesn't enjoy math, it's really not worth taking calculus unless you live in California or already have an acceptance in-hand for one of the other schools still requiring calculus.
USUHS also requires Calculus. It's on their web site.

I think everyone should take calculus. It genuinely changed my understanding of the world.

Reactions: 1 user