Is California Northstate University the most expensive school ever?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMBiology

temporarily banned~!
Removed
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to its website: tuition + fee + living cost = $76 k a year. Since this for-profit school doesn't qualify for federal loans, their students can only get private loans. Let's assume the interest rate for their private loans is 8.5%:

http://pharmacy.cnsu.edu/prospective-students/tuition-fees

Year 1 ($82 k) + year 2 ($89 k) + year 3 (97 k) + year 4 ($105 k) = $373 k!

$373 in private student loans! They can't even get on PAYE/IBR if they fall behind or can't find a job since these are not federal loans. $373 k plus undergrad student loan to become a freaking pharmacist!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Even if students were somehow to get all federal loans at 6.8% and live on $12000/year room and board with total expenses of $60k/year:

Year 1: $64k
Year 2: $68k
Year 3: $73k
Year 4: $78k

$283k is a very high debt load for a $110k salary, and that is a much more conservative estimate. Aren't some private loans dischargeable in bankruptcy?

Members don't see this ad :)
When I graduate I will have made $51,500 for attending with all of my tuition paid for.

Post 9/11 GI Bill + Foreign Graduate FTW.

There is a huge market out there for pharmacy students who want to go to school in an office park complex.

Any student that goes here is just dumb, and deserve what they have coming.

When I graduate I will have made $51,500 for attending with all of my tuition paid for.

Post 9/11 GI Bill + Foreign Graduate FTW.

Okay we get it... You are cool for attending a school out of the country and doesn't have to pay anything... You don't have to post it in every single thread... No one really cares

Reactions: 9 users
Okay we get it... You are cool for attending a school out of the country and doesn't have to pay anything... You don't have to post it in every single thread... No one really cares

Actually I was referencing how badass the GI Bill is. Still a very valid reason to serve a short stint in the military. My original contract was only 3 years.

What else will pay ALL in state tuition, or 18k a academic year overseas, and give you a housing allowance based upon your zip code? Combine that with the yellow ribbon program and a lot of people could still attend in the US on a PharmD program and pay next to nothing or actually MAKE money.

According to its website: tuition + fee + living cost = $76 k a year. Since this for-profit school doesn't qualify for federal loans, their students can only get private loans. Let's assume the interest rate for their private loans is 8.5%:

http://pharmacy.cnsu.edu/prospective-students/tuition-fees

Year 1 ($82 k) + year 2 ($89 k) + year 3 (97 k) + year 4 ($105 k) = $373 k!

$373 in private student loans! They can't even get on PAYE/IBR if they fall behind or can't find a job since these are not federal loans. $373 k plus undergrad student loan to become a freaking pharmacist!

Will there be an epidemic of pharmacists committing debt-related suicide?

out of curiosity - for people still in pharmacy school - what are you professors telling you about the job market? what does a financial aid counselor at this school actually tell kids there?

out of curiosity - for people still in pharmacy school - what are you professors telling you about the job market? what does a financial aid counselor at this school actually tell kids there?
They say its competitive and to make connections early, for the few clinical adjuncts I have talked to.

Members don't see this ad :)

Heh, seriously. It's like rinse and repeat, the same comments over and over.

I knew someone that got into school on the east coast, could have lived with family and payed about 100k in loans and instead chose to go to the unaccredited(at that time) Northstate for > 230k.
I asked why didn't you just stay home? They wanted to get away, try something different. Their thinking was that you make about 120k a year and it'll be easy to pay it off.

Another student doing their P4 rotation had to work after each shift because his private loans required monthly interest payments.

Both were looking at the income once they finish. Should be a real eye opener when they see a yearly net of 60.

If you can't set yourself up in undergrad to get into a good and relatively cheap school, then you're probably not smart enough to think 5 years down the road in general.

Would recommend anyone considering this school to do their homework. Find out where their grads are today, and the quality of education they receive.

I'll leave it at that. I could say a lot more, but I won't.

Heh, seriously. It's like rinse and repeat, the same comments over and over.

482807_590170054326424_1459896680_n.jpg

:beat:

They say its competitive and to make connections early, for the few clinical adjuncts I have talked to.
well -adjuncts (like myself) actually work in the "real world" and not academia. I wonder what the recruiters and full time faculty think?

well -adjuncts (like myself) actually work in the "real world" and not academia. I wonder what the recruiters and full time faculty think?

Faculty: "soon pharmacists will be designated as 'provider' and we will be able to bill for clinical services."

Sounds kinda similar when I was in school but instead of "provider status", it was "MTM". Before that it was "clinical pharmacy" and "pharmaceutical care" so I hear.

Recruiter: "what!? I am out of a job? You guys don't need recruiters anymore because pharmacy grads are begging for a job?!"

Posted using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Faculty: soon pharmacists will be designed as "provider" and we will be able to bill for clinical services.

Sounds kinda similar when I was in school but instead of "provider status", it was MTM

Recruiter: "what!? I am out of a job? You guys don't need recruiters anymore because pharmacy grads are begging for a job?!"

Posted using SDN Mobile

love the recruiter comment :) Although I meant more pharmacy school recruiter (what are they telling prospective students)

I did have a chance to evaluate a handful of candidate applications from this school....it was about as expected, surprisingly. 1-2 gems

At least there's a Yardhouse 3 miles away to drown away your sorrows every night.
Just curious, how did you get to review the apps?

Just curious, how did you get to review the apps?

oh ****, i thought i deleted that...stupid browser.

That was an incomplete thought, i was referring to applications for residency coming out of that school. My complete thought was that it was like many other schools, 1-2 gems, a handful of "wtf you're in pharmacy school?" applications, and many that were in the middle.

Ultimately our residents came from mostly established programs. From what I heard, the very few "gems" from that school did match and do well at other programs.

oh ****, i thought i deleted that...stupid browser.

That was an incomplete thought, i was referring to applications for residency coming out of that school. My complete thought was that it was like many other schools, 1-2 gems, a handful of "wtf you're in pharmacy school?" applications, and many that were in the middle.

Ultimately our residents came from mostly established programs. From what I heard, the very few "gems" from that school did match and do well at other programs.
Ahhhhh. I see. Why does that thread say 1st class then for chapman?

The thought of this school having a financial aid counselor is laughable.

Reactions: 1 users
Since students at this school can't get federal loans, they can't defer their undergrad loans while they are attending this school. If they default then their credit score will also go up in smoke. They won't be able to buy a house with a bad credit score.

So after 4 years, 373 k in private student loans + destroyed credit score + saturated job market = a ruined life

Posted using SDN Mobile

So after 4 years, 373 k in private student loans + destroyed credit score + saturated job market = a ruined life

Seppuku?

There's always leaving the country and opening a bike stand in Bali or something.

Ahhhhh. I see. Why does that thread say 1st class then for chapman?

whaat ?? graduates + residency applications BEFORE 1st class even starts in Fall 2015 ?? It only happened in "Back to the Future" movie as far as a I could remember lol :)

I guess, in reality, that would equate to no review of application for residency from that school = no hiring management/adjunct position @ UCSF looks like somebody committed an OOOPS :) LOL :rofl::rofl::nono::nono::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hello Students, my name is Lawrence "LB" Brown, PharmD, PhD, and I am the Associate Dean of Student & Academic Affairs at Chapman University School of Pharmacy (CUSP). www.chapman.edu/pharmacy

I just wanted to provide some information about our new school that will be accepting applications through PharmCAS on July 14th, 2014, with our first class of 60 students starting in late August 2015.

Although we are part of Chapman University, we are actually located in Irvine, CA rather than on the main campus in Orange. Chapman has created a Health Science Campus at the corner of Alton Pkwy and Jeronimo Rd; just a mile from the Irvine Metrolink station and 3 miles from the Irvine Spectrum Shopping Center.

The Health Science Campus currently will include the School of Pharmacy, and the Physical Therapy, and Physician Assistant Programs.

Although we will be preparing students to work in traditional areas of pharmacy practice and the pharmaceutical and medical device industries, we are intently focused on preparing our graduates to work in the team-based care environments within medical groups, accountable care organizations, care transition organizations, and patient-centered medical homes. So if working in a team-based care environment where you are able to help patients meet their medication therapy and disease state goals is something that interests you, then Chapman may be the place for you.

You can find out more information about our innovative pharmacy program and our outstanding faculty on our website, www.chapman.edu/pharmacy, or you can email me at [email protected]. I'm here to help.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-of-pharmacy-1st-class-starting-2015.1079374/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user