Is changing your mind a lot the norm/good?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psych844

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I love this community because we really have a great mix of people here with a lot of experience..generalists, neuropsych people, forensic, etc. While the advice is amazing, I'm also finding that it is changing my mind a lot. II'll be applying for Grad programs by the end of this year, and every time I think I have an ideal direction, I'm sort of turned off by something i hear someone say. The most recent example is that I really got excited about working with sex offenders, but after some of the discussion, and some PM's, I realized I probably can't work with people who mostly don't want to change and frankly with people we can't do much for.

So, how common is to change your mind about what direction you want to take?

Members don't see this ad.

Common. People make this decision and journey through this process in one of the most transformative periods of their lives. Inevitably, either how one views the world or how one pririortizes the world/life will change between the ages of 22 and 32. I have a thing going on that I could grow enormously, but I regularly turn down review/consulting cases because we have b-ball season tickets this year or because I want to take my kids to the zoo or something. Similarly, I found out very quick that 100% clinical work would burn me out well shy of retirement age/eligibility. Thus, I made sure I only applied for more hybrid positions.

Last edited: