Is community college a bad thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nixietink

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am new here and planning on (eventually) going to PT school. I didn't really decide until recently and I am a senior in my undergrad.

My major is psychology and I have only completed a year of biology in regards to pre-reqs/sciences. I was planning on graduating and taking the rest of my pre-reqs at community college, due to cost. I'm looking at applying to schools in CA, Nevada, and maybe Oregon or Washington.

Most schools do accept classes taken at community college, but some do recommend they be taken at a university.

Am I going to be at a huge disadvantage for taking most of my pre-reqs at community college?

Members don't see this ad.

I dont know for sure, but in my opinion I dont think it's hurt me thus far.

I took Bio 1&2, Chem 1&2 all with labs, also stats, pre-calc, gen psych, and developmental psych at CC.

All others I took at a university.

you sound identical to me...I didn't decide until October of my senior year, and as a communications/dance major and psych minor, I didn't really have any prereqs (aside from psych and stats courses).

I took anatomy at my university, but the way the science courses were set up, you could only take chem/Physics/Bio I in the fall (there was no option to start those classes any other semester). I started taking physics I at a community college in the spring while I was finishing my degree at the university.

I then took the rest of the prereqs at the community college level: Calc, Chem I & II, Physics I & II, Bio I & II, one 2 credit hour physiology class (did another 2 credit hour phys class at my former university as an independent study since they didn't offer it, and used those two classes to meet the 4 hour requirement).

And to make it more fun, I took all those classes at 3 different community colleges (at one point I had "residency" in 3 different districts, and my schedule was so screwy with work that I had to take the class wherever it worked in my schedule...so Chem I & II were at two different places, as was Physics I & II...it was hell cuz they all used different textbooks haha).

But, I got interview offers at every school I applied to, and got into two schools (I never went on any of the interviews since I was accepted to my top 2 choices anyway). I was told that it'd be better to take them at a university, but that's not possible for everyone with cost and schedules. As long as you have a strong application otherwise, and do well in the courses at the community college, you should be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. It doesn't matter if you take classes at a community college.

Just make sure the class is going to satisfy whatever the pre-req is. Also make sure you get A's. Those credits will be perfectly acceptable.

you sound identical to me...I didn't decide until October of my senior year, and as a communications/dance major and psych minor, I didn't really have any prereqs (aside from psych and stats courses).

I took anatomy at my university, but the way the science courses were set up, you could only take chem/Physics/Bio I in the fall (there was no option to start those classes any other semester). I started taking physics I at a community college in the spring while I was finishing my degree at the university.

I then took the rest of the prereqs at the community college level: Calc, Chem I & II, Physics I & II, Bio I & II, one 2 credit hour physiology class (did another 2 credit hour phys class at my former university as an independent study since they didn't offer it, and used those two classes to meet the 4 hour requirement).

And to make it more fun, I took all those classes at 3 different community colleges (at one point I had "residency" in 3 different districts, and my schedule was so screwy with work that I had to take the class wherever it worked in my schedule...so Chem I & II were at two different places, as was Physics I & II...it was hell cuz they all used different textbooks haha).

But, I got interview offers at every school I applied to, and got into two schools (I never went on any of the interviews since I was accepted to my top 2 choices anyway). I was told that it'd be better to take them at a university, but that's not possible for everyone with cost and schedules. As long as you have a strong application otherwise, and do well in the courses at the community college, you should be okay.

This makes me feel a lot better! Thank you! In my last quarter I was going to try and take anatomy, but of course it is not offered next quarter.

An off topic question, but on average, how many observation hours did you apply with?

This makes me feel a lot better! Thank you! In my last quarter I was going to try and take anatomy, but of course it is not offered next quarter.

An off topic question, but on average, how many observation hours did you apply with?

You can always have a class or two pending while you send in your applications too. I don't recommend it if you can avoid it but it's acceptable. I had Anat and Physics II in progress when my apps were sent in.

Every school will ask for a different # of hours. I went up to 200+ because of UCSF's requirements. This is prob the highest you'll see. I think NYU only asks for around 25, other schools maybe 50.

I had about 100 outpatient, 120 inpatient, 8 skilled nursing facility, 4 research. It's good to have at least the minimum for whatever prog you're trying to get into, but also have a variety of settings.

I don't even remember....I posted all my stats in that sticky thread last year (page 3-ish I think?).

I worked at an outpatient PT clinic, so I had A LOT from that (maybe like 800-1000? really no idea). I know I had 15 in an elementary school, 8 in acute care/inpatient, 15 at an outpatient neuro clinic, and then some other random ones (on site dance PT, other outpatient clinics, etc.)

Just make sure you know what the school requires...one school I applied to required 15 hours in 3 different settings, another just required 50 hours split up however.

Every school will ask for a different # of hours. I went up to 200+ because of UCSF's requirements. This is prob the highest you'll see. I think NYU only asks for around 25, other schools maybe 50.
Whoa! Thats intense. 200 minimum requirement. That is the highest ive seen. nixietink, you'll see that most applicants also do more than the minimum regardless of the school. The highest minimum requirement I applied to was 100 and I ended up with 133.:thumbup:

I agree with everyone above.. I am currently a senior undergrad and took all my science classes at my university, but did all the psych classes and medical terminology at junior colleges over the summer..I even did 3 of these online.. Plus I took my physiology class as a combined anatomy and physiology course for dual credit while still a senior in high school.. I thought this would screw me but so far only one school has told me I need to retake it and it is on the bottom of my list.. The only school I saw when I was looking at options that did not allow junior college for pre reqs was UCONN...

Here is an update to where I applied and interviews.. Still no rejections or acceptances... But spending tons of money visiting the country on interviews!

Submitted ptcas 10/1... If I have to go for round 2 doing this much earlier next year but was doing my senior capstone in Europe all summer at sports medicine universities... Did not get my ptcas verified til 11/8

Applied: Miami, Belmont, Bradley, Midwestern (IL), Emory, Elon, UOP, Bellermine, Nprthwestern, UIC, Rosalind Franklin, Ohio State

Interviews: Miami, Belmont, Elon (1/10), Emory (1/14), Rosalind Franklin (1/15), Midwestern (1/27), UOP (2/25)

Wait listed: Bradley, Belmont
Acceptances: waiting.......
Rejections: waiting.......

Also applied to MUSC and St Augustine last minute for fall as a back up

PT's school won't and shouldn't scrutinize a student for taking classes at a community college.
ok.

Community College is great because:
2) The classes are easier
3) It brings your GPA up
These sound like pretty good reasons to scrutinize an applicant.

I don't agree with the notion that CC classes are automatically easier (resent it in fact, b/c I'm taking my classes at a CC), but your argument just didn't make a whole lot of sense.

I agree...the physics II class I took at CC was the hardest class I've ever taken in my life...even harder than physiology in PT school. The physics class used the same tests as a university nearby, but didn't have the same instructor...so we were tested on the same material but without being taught by an instructor of the same caliber or in labs with the same quality equipment. It was definitely not easy. I barely got a B in it...and that's cuz I had to work my ass off on extra credit and homework assignments.

But, I had my fair share of super easy CC classes (like bio I that had every test online...you could take it at any point within a week and use whatever notes you wanted as long as you could complete it within the 90 minute time limit). They all sorta balance out in the end.

Doesn't matter where you get your credits PT credits. I'd recommend that you get your B.A. or B.S. from somewhere decent though.

From what I've read, a 4.0 from a no name school beats a 2.2 from Harvard all day everyday though so take my recommendation with a grain of salt.

I've taken almost all of my pre-reqs at the local CC. I applied to 3 schools, was accepted to one, got an interview for another, and was rejected from one.
*I assume the rejection was because of my outstanding pre-reqs (fall grades weren't in, plus I have two more spring classes, so they didn't see any physics or chem grades) as the admissions head had told me they frown upon missing pre-reqs at the time of application.*

However, the other two schools clearly didn't mind! I got my BA from a well-known university, but when I decided on PT, community college was my best financial option (less than 1/3 the cost of the local university).

I would reiterate what others have said, get good grades no matter where you go. My CC credits were not any easier (I often studied with university students in the same courses), but there is less of a weed-out mentality and more of a "we want you to succeed" attitude.

I am glad I made the less expensive choice, as I got in and have saved thousands of dollars of debt! :soexcited:

p.s. the junior college I've been attending does have a health professions emphasis (LVN, dental hygiene, resp/sonography tech), so I think that has helped in terms of the quality of classes, also.

Get mostly A's for some gen ed's and possibly pre-reqs at your CC, and graduate from a decent 4 year uni with say a 3.5+ and I'm sure few will question your decision. ;)