is delaying step 2CK hurting my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jyp889

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out why I'm not getting more interviews. Was lying around reading Master the Boards tonight and in the intro it says that not having a Step 2 CK score *will* result in fewer interview offers. I have a high 240's Step 1 and had to take a bunch of my cores late due to time off for medical reasons, and I didn't want to risk scoring lower on 2CK by taking it without finishing everything first. I'm in the top 3rd of my class at an allopathic school. I honored medicine and neuro, high passed everything else (including psych; guessing this is another potential reason?). My dean and psych advisor told me to aim high with regard to residency programs, and to take as much time as I needed for Step 2 CK, so I followed that advice and now I'm wondering if it's biting me in the butt. Only one or two of the places I applied explicitly require a Step 2 CK score to match, and even in those cases it's stated that it's only needed prior to match. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't get my score until after all my interviews. This may be holding you back at some places but certainly not all. Regardless, it's too early to panic. Later in the season if you haven't interviewed everywhere you want, email the programs and briefly express your interest in them. There are a lot of spots that open up due to cancellation. Believe me they'd rather interview someone who has genuine interest in the program than having a hole in their schedule they set aside for someone who cancelled.

I doubt not taking CK is a critical issue, given your Step 1 score. Time off could likely be more of an issue for some programs. Programs likely waited for your Dean's letter to see what was going on and to see how it compared to what you indicated in your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait it out. I have heard anecdotally that applications to psych programs are skyrocketing this year as many schools are encouraging applicants to use psychiatry as a "backup" to increase the chances of a match. Programs are now sorting through more volume and trying to weed out the obvious back up applicants.

Im not positive, but I am pretty sure that eras allows program directors to filter out anyone with med school delays. That could significantly hurt you at top programs where they may find any reason to narrow down the hundreds of applicants.

Be sure to apply to good mid tier programs as well.

Wait it out. I have heard anecdotally that applications to psych programs are skyrocketing this year as many schools are encouraging applicants to use psychiatry as a "backup" to increase the chances of a match. Programs are now sorting through more volume and trying to weed out the obvious back up applicants.
This has always been the case for IMGs, but it really seems to be spreading this year to more US seniors. It seems harder than usual to this year to find the wheat amongst the chaff, especially when the good kernels are a bit below our filter due to a low Step score, or an interruption in training.
Today's tip: if you really want psych, please please please find a couple of letter writers that will say so for you!

Today's tip: if you really want psych, please please please find a couple of letter writers that will say so for you!

Interesting. I think based on the interview feedback I got, the lor from my clerkship director was the strongest part of my application. I am actually someone who double applied. Not because psych was a backup by any means but because I was undecided between psych and FM. No one seemed to catch on to that, but I was asked why didnt I pick psych on my last FM interview (after I had pretty much settled on ranking psych programs first anyway).

I am curious though, what are your thoughts on my earlier assertion that a qualified applicant has a lot of opportunity to get interviews late in the season by expressing interest around the time when people who went overboard applying are canceling?

I am curious though, what are your thoughts on my earlier assertion that a qualified applicant has a lot of opportunity to get interviews late in the season by expressing interest around the time when people who went overboard applying are canceling?

Can't hurt.

(Except my Coordinator may hurt ME if a flood of emails starts coming in over Christmas break...)

Also--I really don't think that applicants need hide that they are double-applying, as long as you're open about the reasons.

In my hands applying late tends to be a negative as it implies that 1) the applicant has been rejected at multiple places and is expanding his/her list, 2) the applicant is not organized to get the application in on time, or 3) My program is not really high up on the applicant's list. Given that such an application carries these possibilities, all things being equal I will invite the person who completed the application much earlier.

I don't mean applying late. I mean writing or calling to express interest later in interview season if you did not get an interview offer early on.