Is dentistry really what I want to do????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spider367

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been working at an internship in an orthodontic office since I graduated in May of 2011. After having not gotten accepted into any dental schools for this fall, I've now spoken with a few schools that I was rejected from and the consensus seems to be that in order for me to be competitive in the future, my best option moving forward is to take an informal post bac type thing to help boost my BCP gpa (which is low ~ 2.7). Now, I feel like my life is at a crossroad. After having been at my internship for almost a year, I'm not positive that dentistry is what I want to do. I would say roughly 50% of the time, I do not look forward to going into work. However, as the day progresses it's always seems to not be as bad as I thought it would be but there still is always a sense of relief once it is time to go home.

I feel like the overwhelming reason I am considering dentistry is for the money aspect. I have multiple family members involved in the field and seeing what type of life they live is really motivating. However, I am nervous because I feel like at this point, with a BS in Biology under my belt and having devoted so much time to trying to get in dental school, it would be stupid to try to suddenly go a different course. It doesn't help also that I have no clue what else I would think about doing since I really have only seriously considered dentistry since I was in middle school. In short, I am feeling a little nervous because it seems like as a 23 year old, I should be having a much better grasp on what my calling in life should be. Anyway, sorry for rambling on like this but I was wondering what type of advice people might have for me? Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

It may not be what you really want to do.

You aren't the only 23 year old that feels confused about a career path...I know tons of them. It's a hard decision because you will be dedicating your life to the career. As far as dreading going to work and looking forward to clocking out, I think many dentists probably experience that to some degree. It's a job.

It mainly depends on how bad you dread going in I guess. Keep in mind that the dentist is experiencing more diverse and interesting work than you. They are interacting with the patients, building relationships, maintaining their reputation in the community, etc. It can be really rewarding...especially if you treat people fairly and appreciate making differences in their lives.

Lastly, if money is the sole motivator then I would spend some time rethinking a career in dentistry. The money is a great aspect but your life will be pretty empty once you get used to the income. I like dentistry because it's a stable job, allows me to be involved with the community, and I'll get to use my hands to directly change lives. I would just do some more thinking honestly. There isn't much of a rush. I'm 25 and will be starting my first year in August. I think 25 is the average age of entering students so there are quite a few entering in their later 20's.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe try working at an oil field out in Wyoming. Great money, six figures I believe, and you'll find yourself dreaming about whatever it is that you REALLY want to do pretty quickly.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't overthink the age factor too much, the older you are the wiser you are. We're all in this game called LIFE. Things happen for a reason, and certain fields are not always for everyone; some are. Really, as Drake says it. YOLO (YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE). Things happen for a reason, but if you feel that the field is calling for you. Heck man, give it all, do a two-three year post bac if you have the motivation for it. If you're motivated for money, contradictory to what many people believe, Dentistry is a slow process and will take time and money till most people make it. And by making it, that's like the point a dentist finally opens their own practice. That could be 10+ years,20+ years, 30+ years, or maybe even never after graduating dental school. Be careful, undergrad + another 4 years of dental school + an average of $300,000 of debt will take lots of time to pay off. You may even be 40 till you break even. Think about it. Just think. It's your life.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the post bac anyway. It just sometimes feels quite overwhelming when considering the time dedication it's gonna take to do what needs to get done.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards the post bac anyway. It just sometimes feels quite overwhelming when considering the time dedication it's gonna take to do what needs to get done.

There's a reason why physicians and dentist are compensated well, it's because of the time we invest in our studies pays off at the end.

I hope you like more reasons about dentistry than the money... There are tons of other options if you simply want to make money...

To me, age is less significant than finding the type of job you'd like to do the most. It doesn't matter how long it takes until you get there. To dislike/hate your job despite stable money is not a great feeling either...

A career should hopefully engage you and fascinate you in some way, despite its tough times. Without passion, it is almost always easy to quit or take the easy way out. Go for the career that gives you that sense of meaning!

I've been working at an internship in an orthodontic office since I graduated in May of 2011. After having not gotten accepted into any dental schools for this fall, I've now spoken with a few schools that I was rejected from and the consensus seems to be that in order for me to be competitive in the future, my best option moving forward is to take an informal post bac type thing to help boost my BCP gpa (which is low ~ 2.7). Now, I feel like my life is at a crossroad. After having been at my internship for almost a year, I'm not positive that dentistry is what I want to do. I would say roughly 50% of the time, I do not look forward to going into work. However, as the day progresses it's always seems to not be as bad as I thought it would be but there still is always a sense of relief once it is time to go home.

I feel like the overwhelming reason I am considering dentistry is for the money aspect. I have multiple family members involved in the field and seeing what type of life they live is really motivating. However, I am nervous because I feel like at this point, with a BS in Biology under my belt and having devoted so much time to trying to get in dental school, it would be stupid to try to suddenly go a different course. It doesn't help also that I have no clue what else I would think about doing since I really have only seriously considered dentistry since I was in middle school. In short, I am feeling a little nervous because it seems like as a 23 year old, I should be having a much better grasp on what my calling in life should be. Anyway, sorry for rambling on like this but I was wondering what type of advice people might have for me? Thanks guys.
I doubt much people like getting up early in the morning to go to work, especially if it's just an internship, amusing you get paid dirt or less.

If you have considered it since Middle School I am sure you have other reasons beyond pay. Honestly from the projections, the pay isn't that out of this world. Decent and more than enough, but definitely not amazingly high.

If you feel like you don't want to invest so heavily in Dentistry, why not look at other Health fields or Pharm? A couple of my pre-med friends are now in Pharm instead. It is pretty chill on the life-style front and it pays pretty well too (lower than Doctors and Dentists GPs). The course is same 4 years and there is always demand for Pharmacists. Pharm was and still is my plan B in case I don't get in or don't like Dental.

EDIT: By the way I am not trying to question your sincerity or sound disparaging, just offering up what I hold to be a very good alternative. Good luck with your decision. I am 22 and a lot of times, I ask myself, "What exactly have I accomplished in undergrad?" "What have I achieved since?" "Will I accomplish something more fulfilling in Dental school or wherever I end up?". Reassessing can only give you clarity and perspective. You'll either realize it isn't for you, or you'll re-affirm your original position.

it was my understanding that pharmacists were kind of beginning to saturate the market...? Some i know are only finding part-time work or drive to different city each day kind of deal.

it was my understanding that pharmacists were kind of beginning to saturate the market...? Some i know are only finding part-time work or drive to different city each day kind of deal.

:thumbup: This is true. Friend of mine is doing a 6-yr program and she is entering her last year this fall, terrified she will have no work when she graduates. Popular north eastern drug stores, have just put freezes on hiring pharmacists and they also have placed restrictions on pharmacists within their organizations, in regards to decreasing hours worked.

Oh and don't forget about the openings of new pharm. schools going on!

I hate to even be discussing this, but what are some other career options that would pay the same if not more than dentistry? I feel like I'm in no man's land with nothing but a BS Biology degree but wanting a high paying career ($200,000-$300,000 annually). Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also, I sort of feel weird that I'm even thinking this way because I really am not some sort of greedy bastard. I just want to one day have a family of my own and be able to provide the absolute best life possible for them. Coming from someone who is only a 23 year old male, this may be hard to believe but it's the truth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not everyone enjoys showing up for the work day and most people are relieved when the end of the day comes. Search for your deeper motivation besides money.

I think your butt-hurt since you didnt get accepted. It happens. I wanted to be a top salesman before making six figures, I tried and tried and tried, and I never did. It took me years to realize I didn't reach it because I hated the job. You can keep trying and trying and trying like I did but if you hate the idea of being a dentist, STOP pursuing dentistry.

Next time you go to work and see the doctor and you cant see yourself as a happy person in his shoes, STOP pursuing dentistry. If you look at your personal statement about why you want to be a dentist and its filled with BS, STOP pursuing dentistry. Get my drift.

If dentistry is not for you, get ur $hit together quick and pursue a true passion and stop doing what everyone else and make your own path (Leader not follower, Leader).

I went back to school at 25 to pursue dentistry and its hard but worth every second to me. What is worth your time?

I see someone who is highly ambitious seeking to make 200,000 - 300, 000 $ a year but is hesitant of doing more work to get their gpa up. First of all dentists do not make on average that kind of money, they make on average about 130,000, then maybe over many years they can get to those levels. Second, there are many other career fields in medicine that make equal to or greater than dentists. If you are so anxious to start grad school and make that kind of money, you could take the MCAT and go to a good med school in the Caribbean like Ross, St. georges, AUC, or SABA. I believe dental is harder than medicine to get into because there are no alternative paths like in medicine: DO, MD-caribbean. Either way, you need to have over a 3.0 in every section. There is no easy route to success.

I see someone who is highly ambitious seeking to make 200,000 - 300, 000 $ a year but is hesitant of doing more work to get their gpa up. First of all dentists do not make on average that kind of money, they make on average about 130,000, then maybe over many years they can get to those levels. Second, there are many other career fields in medicine that make equal to or greater than dentists. If you are so anxious to start grad school and make that kind of money, you could take the MCAT and go to a good med school in the Caribbean like Ross, St. georges, AUC, or SABA. I believe dental is harder than medicine to get into because there are no alternative paths like in medicine: DO, MD-caribbean. Either way, you need to have over a 3.0 in every section. There is no easy route to success.

That's just not true. Look at ADA surveys, they make more than that on average. Unless you're talking about associates in which case it's closer, but a little high.

To the OP, make sure you have a realistic image in your head about what a career is like. There are people who love going into work every day and put in 60 hours no problem, but the truth is it has more to do with personality. Those are the people who can find joy in any job. I had what many people would consider a dream job (not money-wise, but career-wise). But honestly, whatever you're doing, it becomes a lot less enjoyable when you HAVE to do it. Just keep that in mind. You have to like what you do, you can't be expected to love it.

I hate to even be discussing this, but what are some other career options that would pay the same if not more than dentistry? I feel like I'm in no man's land with nothing but a BS Biology degree but wanting a high paying career ($200,000-$300,000 annually). Any ideas would be appreciated.

Also, I sort of feel weird that I'm even thinking this way because I really am not some sort of greedy bastard. I just want to one day have a family of my own and be able to provide the absolute best life possible for them. Coming from someone who is only a 23 year old male, this may be hard to believe but it's the truth.

-

Last edited:
This sounds exactly like me...My advice, don't do it. The money will never be enough. I am in my second year of dental school at Penn and it is God Awful. I wish I had known what I know now. Your back will hurt like hell, your hands will ache, patients will never be happy, managing overhead and staff...It's not worth it. Save yourself the debt and time, the money is never enough unless you love what you do, in which case its always enough money. I know it sounds cheesy, but its true. I regret my decision more than anything.

This sounds exactly like me...My advice, don't do it. The money will never be enough. I am in my second year of dental school at Penn and it is God Awful. I wish I had known what I know now. Your back will hurt like hell, your hands will ache, patients will never be happy, managing overhead and staff...It's not worth it. Save yourself the debt and time, the money is never enough unless you love what you do, in which case its always enough money. I know it sounds cheesy, but its true. I regret my decision more than anything.
He/she graduates in a year lol

I saw your thread in the Practicing Dentists forum, and saw your post here again.

You can make it through this rough patch. Listen- almost every dentist I've spoken with hated dental school, but then LOVED the field. You're 100% normal. The concerns you described in your other thread- that's exactly what several practicing dentists, who love their jobs, hated about dental school.

I know- the above doesn't help your current situation- so maybe try fixing one problem at a time? Which is the easiest problem to fix for you? Back pain? Constant pain that you can't escape can cause irritability- perhaps try pouring your reserve energy into solving that problem? Try getting ergonomic support from faculty/classmates? Once that is resolved and you establish some momentum, perhaps try to develop an efficient system to manage the patients/staff?

You're heading into the clinic, so the effects of these changes, which may appear small at first, will rapidly amplify and can significantly improve your happiness.

Also, do you remember saying the following, below:

Firstly, all praise is due to God and God alone. Were it not for His Bounty and Grace and Mercy, I would never have achieved these [DAT] scores.

Trust in God, and do your best preparation. Verily, the Lord rewards those who strive hard, and do good to His creations.

God is Great!

Based on your GPA, you're clearly working hard and are dedicated to the field. You've got the right intentions for going into dentistry. Sure, it looks like you are struggling a little bit- but you can make it past this, and you've got a bright future ahead. You're already halfway there!

Money shouldn't be the one and only motivation, but it can be one of many. Some people have hard time deciding between medicine vs dent, but seeing how they live completely different lifestyles, people choose one over the other. I think dentistry has its own merits, same goes for medicine. For me, the fact that we get a doctoral degree and a full licensure only after 4 years was a big thing because I ain't getting younger! Don't worry about your age. I'd do anything to be back in my twenties to correct mistakes I've made in my life.

Before you commit to this one field, just make sure you don't hate it. You don't have to love it, but if you hate it, I think you will be miserable no matter how much money you make.

I saw your thread in the Practicing Dentists forum, and saw your post here again.

You can make it through this rough patch. Listen- almost every dentist I've spoken with hated dental school, but then LOVED the field. You're 100% normal. The concerns you described in your other thread- that's exactly what several practicing dentists, who love their jobs, hated about dental school.

I know- the above doesn't help your current situation- so maybe try fixing one problem at a time? Which is the easiest problem to fix for you? Back pain? Constant pain that you can't escape can cause irritability- perhaps try pouring your reserve energy into solving that problem? Try getting ergonomic support from faculty/classmates? Once that is resolved and you establish some momentum, perhaps try to develop an efficient system to manage the patients/staff?

You're heading into the clinic, so the effects of these changes, which may appear small at first, will rapidly amplify and can significantly improve your happiness.

Also, do you remember saying the following, below:

Based on your GPA, you're clearly working hard and are dedicated to the field. You've got the right intentions for going into dentistry. Sure, it looks like you are struggling a little bit- but you can make it past this, and you've got a bright future ahead. You're already halfway there!

Thank you...You reminding me of this...Is really fortunate. I still am very unhappy with the field...I hate the restorative work, crowns, fillings, etc. I only like endo so far. I'd like to do ortho, but my GPA is so poor, I don't think I could get into it.

Thank you...You reminding me of this...Is really fortunate. I still am very unhappy with the field...I hate the restorative work, crowns, fillings, etc. I only like endo so far. I'd like to do ortho, but my GPA is so poor, I don't think I could get into it.
Just remember, grass is always greener. There is never the perfect job. A doctor basically gives his life to medicine. A Lawyer can't seem to find a job, but once he does definitely puts in the hours. Pharmacists have lost autonomy. PA's will never be the top dogs. Nurses won't be either. Engineering is just numbers, numbers, and numbers. Every career is gonna have tough things and tough spots to it. Just remember why you originally chose dentistry. It is a good lifestyle, its interesting work, you work with people, and you usually are a top guy around.