Is DMU a Good School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rad99

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a cousin who is interested in attending DMU but she heard a lot of bad things about the school that happened several years ago with their pass rates and teaching?

Members don't see this ad.

It seemed like a very nice place when I interviewed there, and if I remember correctly their COMLEX pass rate was over 90%. The students I spoke to seemed pretty pleased with the administration and the teaching. I didn't see any evidence to suggest it had become a "problem school".

I'm not sure where she heard that about DMU. The head of clinical affairs said that DMU is in the top 5 among DO schools with regard to board exam scores. I chose DMU over several other schools I was accepted to.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a good school for sure, MS-III here at DMU

I have a cousin who is interested in attending DMU but she heard a lot of bad things about the school that happened several years ago with their pass rates and teaching?

I literally have no idea where she would get that.

class of 2009 step 1 avg 520
#1 for past 13 years on the osteopathic skills subset of comlex step 1 and step 2'

class of 2013 avg gpa 3.8 and mcat 29

matched 8 into ortho last year

-DMU class of 2009 M4

A couple years ago they had a particularly harsh and cold interview panel that really turned a lot of students off (myself included). Several filed complaints with the administration. Perhaps that is more what your cousin was thinking. Many students who have a really terrible interview will pick the entire school apart in order to justify their feelings from a bad interview.

But I never heard anything about poor pass rates or teaching that were justified.

Many people told me that despite high pass rates, DMU is a bad school. The quality of education is very poor. They give many scholarships to get top notch students to attend their school who were already accepted into MD schools. These students bolster the pass rates. I also heard they lie about their pass rates. My cousin was told this while she intervied at DMU but she is not quite sure how true this is. Can any verify or despite this statement.:)

I literally have no idea where she would get that.

class of 2009 step 1 avg 520
#1 for past 13 years on the osteopathic skills subset of comlex step 1 and step 2'

class of 2013 avg gpa 3.8 and mcat 29

matched 8 into ortho last year

-DMU class of 2009 M4

I will add that the average USMLE score for class of 2010 was well within national average (I think average for 2008 test year was 217, average for the school was 218)

Also, the school is heavily recruiting new faculty to expand their research program. They're really trying to make DMU a solid research enterprise that will eventually pull in formidable NIH money. Lots of basic science research already going on, but also lots of clinical research happening too.

Teaching is top notch. There is a real push for improving faculty development (which is already good, under the direction of Dr. Mortensen). Lots of investment is teaching tools/technology (eg sim lab, surgery lab, SPAL, etc...).

:)I am selling my subcription to Boards Boot Camp for USMLE/COMLEX step 1 online video subcription. I bought this 1 year subcription but did not have time to use it. I still have 7 months left of the subcription which includes 1000 Q bank questions and 100 of hours of videos online. I will include all of the original books which are brand new and are not used. Message me if interested and i will sell this at a a price that you like.[/b]

posted yesterday

so you are a resident?

Many people told me that despite high pass rates, DMU is a bad school. The quality of education is very poor. They give many scholarships to get top notch students to attend their school who were already accepted into MD schools. These students bolster the pass rates. I also heard they lie about their pass rates. My cousin was told this while she intervied at DMU but she is not quite sure how true this is. Can any verify or despite this statement.:)

Of the 215 or so that were in my class, about 14 didn't pass step 1; not sure about step 2.
I think the first 2 yrs were great at DMU.
As I've stressed in other posts, the clinical years may be difficult, however, if you spend every rotation in a rural setting. You just don't get a chance to see everything. IE: you have to put in effort, but most DO students do not having large teaching institutions, unless you're in Chicago or a larger city.

DMU is like any other group of students: there are gunners who match allo rads, gas and surgery, and there are slackers that shouldn't be there (or in any medical school). it comes down to whether you want to learn medicine in rural midwest or not.

Yes....it is a very good school

I have heard there is a lot of harrassment at this school. Is this true? I hope it is not but i have heard from many about this

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm heading to DMU in the fall. I hope it is a good school. I was very impressed by the first two years. However, the third and forth years, as with any DO school can be hard to judge from the interview expereince simply since those students are not there to talk to. I've talked with some DMU graduates and they all had positive comments about the school. I also liked the fact that the dean seems truely interested in inproving DMU and making it on of the best DO schools in the country.

I also heard some comments that a couple of years ago the DMU students had trouble passing the second step of the boards, but I believe by the time I complete my third and fourth years there the problem will be sloved. I believe they are currently correcting some of these issues by having the majority of students stay in Des Moines or Iowa to complete their third and fourth years.

Rad99, the last posts you have produced have no relevant information besides some hearsay. post a specific concern or shut the hell up. besides the school is great, i would find it hard to believe that any other school provides more resources for years 1-2 then DMU.

I am a DMU student. Here is what I think:

1. First year is excellent. Most big and important classes like Anatomy and Physiology are organized and well taught. Administration works hard to create a great learning environment for students. Excellent study areas, excellent gym. One can totally concentrate on learning.
2. Second year classes could use a lot of improvement. Most are taught by clinicians and not academic physicians. What does this mean? This means that material is overly clinical, patient management and diagnosis of medical conditions is emphasized. This is not exactly what a 2nd year medical student needs to learn at that point. This also means that students who will be studying to take USMLE exams will need to invest more time on their own to learn pathophysiology, cell biology, genetics...
3. Third year is a lottery system. One can end up in Des Moines, Ohio, Michigan, and other areas of the country. There is a lot of variability among hospitals and teaching methods there. Would a student doing internal medicine rotation at Mayo learn the same things as a student doing the same rotation in a community hospital in Des Moines? Probably not.
4. Fourth year is mostly electives...pretty much do what you want. This is probably Ok because this year is all about the Match and interviewing. Flexibility this year is a good thing.

Please, when making statement like this or that school is good or bad, be specific. Back up your arguments with:
1. Board Pass Rates (COMLEX and USMLE)
2. Match lists
3. Grades (Pass/Fail...)
4. Clinical Rotations

From everything I've heard, DMU is an excellent school. Was your cousin interviewing for the janitorial position?

p.s. my font is bigger than yours!

If you read back through the OP's posts, you can clearly see he/she is a troll. I'm guessing they were denied, and this is there way of getting back at DMU.

Rad99, the last posts you have produced have no relevant information besides some hearsay. post a specific concern or shut the hell up. besides the school is great, i would find it hard to believe that any other school provides more resources for years 1-2 then DMU.

:thumbup:

From everything I've heard, DMU is an excellent school. Was your cousin interviewing for the janitorial position?

p.s. my font is bigger than yours!

It's not the size of the font that counts, it's how you write it :laugh:.

Didn't we reject you at that interview? I hope so.

I was not rejected. In fact I was accepted at many other osteopathic and even a fe MD schools but I and my cousin are considering DMU. I have heard a lot of nasty things about the school and the low quality of their rotations. I am not sure how true these things are.

I was not rejected. In fact I was accepted at many other osteopathic and even a fe MD schools but I and my cousin are considering DMU. I have heard a lot of nasty things about the school and the low quality of their rotations. I am not sure how true these things are.

Status says you are a resident...do you even know what a resident is? Not like "oh I live in this house" resident either. Honest to God Gloria, if you could be anymore pathetic I think they would put your picture in the dictionary.

I don't think people should attend DMU because it is a very bad school based on reliable sources that have told me. I think I will attend a better DO school.

Rad99, first of all you only have a couple of post on this website, which you have no credibility. second, You have proven to us you dont know what a resident is, so I also doubt you got accepted into any school. And third, YOUR A DOUCHE BAG

MODS lets close this biach!

I don't think people should attend DMU because it is a very bad school based on reliable sources that have told me. I think I will attend a better DO school.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4163926&postcount=1

Does anyone know how many questions are needed to pass this year's COMLeX step 1? Is is based on how you do compared to other people or is there is fixed number predetermined before you took the exam. Do they curve the exam so that so many people pass at each school or is the curve the same nationally? How many questions truly count and how many may have been disqaulified? Are there certain point values to certain questions? I have heard that 400 equates to anwhere from 38-50%. I took the exam in June and I am almost certain I got slightly over 50% of the quesitons correct and I did not pass and I am worried because that was as many questions I could have possibly have gotten correct on that exam. Whatever I could not get correct was not coming from any review books I used and I studied from almost every source possible?

DMU = good school

Rad99 = bad troll.

Step it up man.

I currently attend DMU and who have no hesitation recommending it to anyone. I am actively recruiting people I know to come hear because my experience has been great.

I can't imagine a school investing more in their students than DMU does.

Let me gently remind people that everyone has an opinion. Just because it is different than yours does not entitle a user on either side of the opinion to resort to name calling. Be polite, be professional. Please don't turn into 4 year olds on the playground.

-Your friendly but tired post-call osteo mod
:)

They give many scholarships to get top notch students to attend their school who were already accepted into MD schools. These students bolster the pass rates. I also heard they lie about their pass rates. :)
:laugh: I don't know what planet you're from, but if many top notch students go to the school, there must have been something good about it! I personally interviewed at the school along with many others and I found their facilities and faculty to be quite nice. Top notch institution!!

:laugh: I don't know what planet you're from, but if many top notch students go to the school, there must have been something good about it! I personally interviewed at the school along with many others and I found their facilities and faculty to be quite nice. Top notch institution!!

i agree. i LOVE their facilities and faculty

this guy failed the COMLEX I, which is pretty hard to do really, and then is trying to get into another school, or what, makes no sense, and the guy is a troll for sure. Close this thread.

I am a prospective student who got accepted into DMU. I did not take COMlEX yet. I am a good kid who works hard. Kids who don't work hard, are going to DMU. Kids who work hard got accepted to other schools and went to other schools.

I am a prospective student who got accepted into DMU. I did not take COMlEX yet. I am a good kid who works hard. Kids who don't work hard, are going to DMU. Kids who work hard got accepted to other schools and went to other schools.

Then why did you write that you failed Step I three years ago, and why are you selling your copy of Premier Review for Step III now? And why do you indicate yourself as a 'resident' under your avatar.

:scared:and yet in the post before this you reported that DMU was "stealing" good students away to their school to bolster their scores!

Your ignorance has proven that you are no longer worth my time. Thanks for wasting 5 total minutes of my life. It was "fun" to exchange "intelligent" conversation with you. I think you will "do well" in any organization "smart" enough to take you. I am sure you will rise to be a "great physician" and an "asset" to society. Now that I am sick...it is time to leave. :barf::barf::barf:

Mods can we please kill this troll???? Jesus christ, what does it take to get a ban around here???????????

Status
Not open for further replies.