is EMT useless?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HdK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I volunteered as an EMT during college, and MUCH significantly more than shadowing a dentist. Not that I meant to or planned that out, it just happened to be that way. Is this not look that good to dental schools?

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your commitment to dentistry is very apparent in your PS and interviews, this shouldn't be a problem. In other words, don't let your EMT experience lead adcoms to question your dedication to the profession. As a matter of fact, if you can show them that you are intently set on dentistry, I would think your extensive clinical experience as an EMT would enhance your application

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as your commitment to dentistry is very apparent in your PS and interviews, this shouldn't be a problem. In other words, don't let your EMT experience lead adcoms to question your dedication to the profession. As a matter of fact, if you can show them that you are intently set on dentistry, I would think your extensive clinical experience as an EMT would enhance your application
Ditto on that.

OP be clear about your commitment to dentistry and this wont be a problem. Also do more dental shadowing just in case, at least 100hrs to show admissions you really want to go to d school and arent only applying as back up because you werent good you enough for med school. In all likeliness EMT will be a big plus for you because not too many applicants have EC as unique and looked upon highly as you do with EMT.

Reactions: 1 user
For sure EMT is a good volunteer activity. You might also approach it from the perspective that being an EMT showed you that you did not want to be an MD.

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing is useless which makes you a memorable applicant. There aren't many EMTs applying I'm sure, which will make you stand out.