Is felony charge affect admission into pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kpforce

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To get a pharmacy degree, a student must do rotations in a hospital and community setting both of which will require criminal background checks as required by State Law . Also a felony will make one ineligible to take the NAPLEX.
As far as admissions go, the application may ask about an applicant's personal history (i.e. conviction of a felony or any misdemeanor) which are taken seriously by the admissions committee. Hope this info helps.

~He conquers who endures~Persius

UH COLLEGE OF PHARMACY 2010

How serious of a felony is it? If it's trivial, hire a lawyer, dish out the dough and get that thing expunged from your record.

Members don't see this ad :)
ethyl said:
How serious of a felony is it? If it's trivial, hire a lawyer, dish out the dough and get that thing expunged from your record.
Thats about the only thing you can do. Pretty much your screwed if there is a felony of any sort on your record.

ethyl said:

No felony conviction is trivial, the definition of felony is "a grave crime". Even if he/she succeeded in getting some sort of expungement or dismissal, what happens when you encounter an oath that requires you state whether or not "you have EVER been charged with or convicted of a felony"? Do you lie? What if a thourough BG check brings up some court document or an arrest record...you will have to explain that. The felony charge may be gone, but the Byzantine paperwork leading up to it will probably remain. Now you'd be in a helluva fix.

Honesty is the best policy. If it was long ago and had nothing to do with controlled substances, you just might be able to work something out.

You can never hide the felony charge - it will always be found on the fingerprint check.

I can't say about the NAPLEX - I never took it, but those who have will have recently will have more experience if you can even sit to take it.

For my state - CA....if you've been convicted of a felony (after you've been licensed) you will need to appear before the State Board & explain the circumstances, what probationary situations, etc exist. So much depends upon the type of felony we are talking about - there is a real difference in what constitutes moral terpitude when it comes to felonies.

But...don't be stupid - avoid arrests & convictions at all cost (especially those which involve substance abuse & money!)

My cousin was a pharmacist, graduated at Creighton in 1999, and got his CA license for 2 years. One day, he went out w/ his girlfriend to a club near Santa Monica, CA and got into a fight with another group for teasing his girlfriend out. once the police arrived at the scence and arrested him for battery assault= FELONY, eventhough 3 guys (1 Hispanic, 2 Howlie = white) attacked him first, he was just defensing himself, but Damn LAPD "racist pigs" pressed charges against him for injured these 3 dudes.. Finally he got 3 months in OCJ and got his RX license revoked. Luckly, I gave a a job here in Hawaii, and making Double the money as a Loan officer comparing to CA pharmacist.

LAPD just really a bunch of racist pigs. So my story is that once you have the FELONY record, you are basicly finished your dream in any health care profession. Even you already had your license, the board still pull that license away, because you have NO value to work in that trusted profession.

kpforce said:
I have felony charge for something stupid. However, is felony charge impact on your admission to pharmacy school? Is it also affect when you get a State license?

I think it would be very hard, if not impossible to become a pharmacist with a felony. I know to become a pharmacy technician, you cannot even take the certification exam if you have a felony.

From the pharmacy exam website:
I committed a felony 20 years ago; can I apply for the exam now?
No. Candidates with a felony conviction are ineligible to take the examination. This policy has been in existence since the founding of PTCB in 1995. In the event that PTCB alters its policy regarding the eligibility requirements, we will contact you in writing. Please Contact PTCB with your complete mailing address. (http://www.ptcb.org/faq.aspx#Exam.10)

Also, my friend got a felony charge (DUI) a few months of graduting from her registered nursing bachelor's degree. When she applied for jobs, no places hired her. So even if you get accepted in the school, finding a job may be harder. I would highly recommend getting any felony charges removed, if possible.

I just received additional paperwork to fill out for pharmacy school today. Attached to the form was a note that states:
Pharmacy students may not receive licensure through the Washington State Board of Pharmacy if they have been convicted of a felon, and licensure is essential to PharmD program completion.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
kpforce said:
I have been convicted of felony when I was 18 yrs old in 1998's and 1999's for indecent exposer and lewd conduct on public. This was back in freshman year when I was still bumb enough to perform such as ewd act with my college dormmate asan act of prank. Basically, my dormmate and I were recording ourselves performing various prank such as masturbating on public on the video tape to make stupid MTV show like Jackass. First time we got caught it was misdemeanor but second time we got caught we all got felnoy charge for it. Currently, I am working wiht my lawyer to reduce it down to misdemenor and we will eventuall expunge the all the criminal records. But becaue this was considered as sexual crime, I have to register as sex offender with CA state.
Can any body tell me if this is going to be end of my dream to be a pharmacist?
YES

kpforce said:
I have been convicted of felony when I was 18 yrs old in 1998's and 1999's for indecent exposer and lewd conduct on public. This was back in freshman year when I was still bumb enough to perform such as ewd act with my college dormmate asan act of prank. Basically, my dormmate and I were recording ourselves performing various prank such as masturbating on public on the video tape to make stupid MTV show like Jackass. First time we got caught it was misdemeanor but second time we got caught we all got felnoy charge for it. Currently, I am working wiht my lawyer to reduce it down to misdemenor and we will eventuall expunge the all the criminal records. But becaue this was considered as sexual crime, I have to register as sex offender with CA state.

Definitely.

It is our choices...that show who we truly are, far more than our abilities.~J.K. Rowling~

UH COLLEGE OF PHARMACY 2010

kpforce said:

wtf.. where were you guys yankin it?

kpforce said:

Don't take this the wrong way dude, but in brutal honesty you couldn't be more screwed if you had a first degree manslaughter conviction. In most states a convicted felon would have trouble getting ANY job (dishwasher, floor sweeper), but as a convicted sex offender ???

Your options are: 1. Alaskan kingcrab boat 2. Leave the country.

I'd take door number two, but you might have trouble qualifying for a passport.

kpforce said:

Exhibitionism is a pretty serious offense because the people who saw you didn't consent to seeing your hairy nads. It looks like the judicial system gave you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't a pervert with the first offense. You proved yourself to be a pervert with the second offense. Good luck with that. I don't think you'll get it reduced.

It's funny how people are reacting to the guy who jerked off in public compared to the person with a DUI charge.

What a great country we live in :rolleyes:

insipid1979 said:
It's funny how people are reacting to the guy who jerked off in public compared to the person with a DUI charge.

I don't like either one of them but I think the DUI is much worse in terms of the negative societal consequences. I think we're in agreement...spooky!

I wanted to add that I think people are being harsher on this guy because:

a. it's his second offense
b. it's creepy as hell
c. on some level most of us can imagine a situation where we might drive a little impaired (even though we SHOULDN'T). Most of us could never see ourselves masturbating in PUBLIC for FUN under any circumstance.

BiOGoly said:
Don't take this the wrong way dude, but in brutal honesty you couldn't be more screwed if you had a first degree manslaughter conviction. In most states a convicted felon would have trouble getting ANY job (dishwasher, floor sweeper), but as a convicted sex offender ???

Your options are: 1. Alaskan kingcrab boat 2. Leave the country.

I'd take door number two, but you might have trouble qualifying for a passport.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I just can't stop :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

It is not only Pharmacy, pretty much any career that you have to obtain a license especially health related, frowns on such acts. If you can get it reduced, to a mis. it might work to your advantage. But make sure you do that before you matriculate in any program, because it would be a waste of money if you're not able to get it reduced, meaning no license for you.

On the other hand, you may look into BioGoly's option 2. If you really want to to be in a health related career, your best bet would be outside the US.

:luck:

insipid1979 said:

My reaction was negative to both. I don't believe in zero tolerance policies for exhibitionism or for DUI. I think one offense might be an honest indiscretion or lapse in judgement. Two offenses usually indicates a problem.

I get the feeling you're calling us prudes. I can't speak for anybody else, but it's shocking how un-prudish I am. I guess it's my fault that I demand the right to choose when I view a sex act or to ride my bike down the street without fear of being struck by the village idiot.

:)

insipid1979 said:

No one commented objectively on the "act" in question, or whether it was better or worse than a DUII from some kind of moral standpoint. The question was how easy it is to recover from (and possibly be admitted to a health professions program). The fact is that it's much easier to reestablish yourself after sucking down a fifth of Jack and killing a ford econoline full of mormons than if you have a felony sex conviction. Getting pigeonholed with kiddie rapers and molesters for wacking off in public as part of some stupid prank to get on MTV is ridiculous. Unfortunately with a felony sex offender conviction that's exactly what has happened. Is that fair? Absolutely not. I can empathize with the guy, but worse things happen to less guilty people everyday in courtrooms across America. Is the "system" Fck'ed-up? Is this a rhetorical question?

twester said:
My reaction was negative to both. I don't believe in zero tolerance policies for exhibitionism or for DUI. I think one offense might be an honest indiscretion or lapse in judgement. Two offenses usually indicates a problem.

I get the feeling you're calling us prudes. I can't speak for anybody else, but it's shocking how un-prudish I am. I guess it's my fault that I demand the right to choose when I view a sex act or to ride my bike down the street without fear of being struck by the village idiot.

:)

Nooo. I'm not saying anyone is a prude and i'm not sure why you would think I would be saying that.

One one hand you have a guy jerking off on a bench...noone gets hurt (physically anyways...haha). On the other hand you have a person drunk out of their minds driving a car who doesn't realize the cops are trying to pull them over and gets slapped with an eluding charge also. You tell me which felony is more likely to end up with someone seriously maimed or killed. Then you compare that felony to the one who is getting the most criticism in this thread...I'm saying it doesn't make sense.

BiOGoly said:
No one commented objectively on the "act" in question, or whether it was better or worse than a DUII from some kind of moral standpoint. The question was how easy it is to recover from (and possibly be admitted to a health professions program).

Then consider my post a statement on how society handles the two crimes. Better now?

Hence my great country comment...

Difficult to be a pillar of the community if you can't even vote.

Seriously, I'm a big "pull-my-finger" kind of guy, but you are just way out there. Chances are you'd be wasting a very expensive education down the road anyway if your hard-wiring doesn't preclude serious subjectivity to peer pressure, and also to even try to impersonate a professional, you'd have to be at least somewhat conscious or concerned about what others think of you to even know where to begin.

We all do stupider things as teens than as adults... for me it was like trying pott or even driving under the influence...but this kind of dedication to absurdity is just off the scale for most people... my guess is you probably wouldn't even enjoy being a pharmacist after all anyway. You change over time...but not quite that much. Either way I like to see people succeed and exceed their own expectations so I sincerly wish you good luck... just hoping to help you guage your personality realistically against how others in the game really think. We're probably all frauds to some extent... women who truly believe their doctors don't swap naked exam stories are really in the dark, but again for your story.. just... wow.

Check with a National Federation of Licensing Board - in Pharmacy -....
I am a med school applicant and checked with the Federation of Medical Boards and my local state boards - all said that a (low level) felony that is not sexually or drug related will not preclude one from licensing.

I have felony charge for something stupid. However, is felony charge impact on your admission to pharmacy school? Is it also affect when you get a State license?

Best thing would be to contact your state's licensing board and the NAPLEX, directly.

im amazed some people would think the dui is worse, it could be worse if you killed someone but how do you know this guy jacking off in public wasnt seen by a little kid... like what happened to me when i was little. the fact that he did it twice shows how little maturity he has and how he doesnt deserve to be a pharmacist surrounded by women like the pharmacy that i work at that has 20 women and 1 guy.

With DUI the crime is in taking the chance of killing someone. It shows an indifference towards taking the life or death of other human beings that society sees as reprehensible and unacceptable. Not killing someone does not make you less guilty of this depravity, just as winning Russian roulette does not make you any less stupid for playing.

You can never hide the felony charge - it will always be found on the fingerprint check.

Not true. The misconception here is that people are speaking of expungement. Unless the State Attorney charged the wrong guy, you can never have your record expunged. However, you can petition the court for the records to be sealed. This typically costs around $700 and takes a few months to process. If this happens, you have the legal right to lie when asked if arrested/convicted. It is a glitch in the laws, but it is legal. The records are sealed and will only show up if you are trying to obtain a Federal security clearance, seeking a position in law enforcement, etc.. If you think I am full of ****, PM me and I will give you the phone number for a criminal defense attorney.

That being said, I still say honesty is a great policy. Not geting jacked up is the best.

Hi
I just want to say good luck to the people with the felony on this post. Don't give up hope because there are a lot of other jobs still available. This is just my personal view, but be an automechanic. There are a lot of shops that don't require background check. My brother in law(who is not a felon) make around 50k a year.

Anyway I hope all is well...

Did that guy just say he was jackin off in public and videotaped it?

LOL!

most hilarious thread on this forum i have ever read!.... made my day!

OK here's one. What if you were initially charged with a felony but it later on get reduced to a class C misdemeanor? Class C is ranked as a speeding ticket.

Well, does anyone know where we can do a background check oursleves?? I think this would help the most.

It's $20 to search public records on anyone.

Im about to purchase a background check. I'm guessing you guys have used this before and this is the deepest check any university program can go? Thanks. I hope nothing comes up! hah

Okay, well nothing came up except my address. So i guess this is a good thing? But i feel as if there should be more then all the places i use to live. hmm

Awesome!!!!!!!!! Im reading the bottom of the report and it says,

"We have searched case, sentencing, disposition, and other criminal related records for "ME" for all available counties and states in the united states.

No records were found. Positive or false matches within a criminal search may not provide confirmation of a criminal background."

I didn't use my social secruity number because i when i entered it it came up with only one state i use to live in. Since i have an unusual name i ented my full name and came up with all the states i use to live in and Bam, nothing came up. I guess getting a BV rated lawyer to talk to the DA into reducing my charges to a class C misdemeanor paid off. :D

Dammit, why didnt i think of this before.

Pay 100 bucks for a concealed weapons license and they do fingerprint checks. If you have a class B misdemeanor and above then they will not grant you the license and the background check is the most indept process.

If you were charged, but found not guilty, then you'll have no problems. If you were found guilty, they you might have problems.
For applications, businesses and schools can only ask if you've been convincted of an offense. Asking if you been charged is illegal.

I'd just like to post an update. Do not use Intelius if you are considering doing a background check. There are a number of states that they do not cover in their background report which has caused some problems. They hide this fact in fine print located at a hidden spot on their website. They dont even tell you what states they conducted a background check in. It's hard to read information and they never tell you what states are included in the background report.

Funny thing is i had an argument with the lady about what is included in the regional package. She kept telling me that "MY STATE" is not part of the region because they dont provide blah blah blah. I just told her, "So you're telling me that "MY STATE" is not part of the United States??" Basically i told her that the least she could do is send me the a refund for the regional package.

In summary, just dont use Intelius. You'll save yourself some hassle.

The state board will ask for it and you better explain it well. If you lied to them and they find out, you can kiss your career bye bye. They shared data just like DMV and credit agency.

If you can get a concealed weapons licenses then i guarantee you that no state board will have any information on any of your charges. In order to obtain a concealed weapons license you can not have a misdeameanor B and above. Your finger prints are sent straight to a national governmental agency for a criminal background check. Also a a misdeameanor C is considered a traffic violation so those do not count. Basically, if you obtain a concealed weapons license then you can lie your ass away and no state board will ever know.

It's probably too late for any of you here to get one though. It takes 6-8 weeks to get varified, so you wouldn't get your results until after you applied for pharmacy school.

I am new to this forum; a friend of mine is a member here and she encouraged me to ask my question...hoping I will get a response that will help me decide what to do.

I was recently accepted to pharmacy school and I had to submit a form agreeing to a criminal background check. I don't have any convictions, but I do have an arrest for possession of marijuana from 7 years ago during which they took fingerprints. The charges were later dismissed. Does anyone here know if this will cause them to revoke my admission? I'm so happy to finally get on the road to my dream and I'm terrified it's all going to be taken away.

Do they only look at court records? in other words, convictions and/or trials? or do they check arrest records as well even if charges were never brought?
Also, do they take into consideration how long ago it was and that there is nothing else on the record?

I am new to this forum; a friend of mine is a member here and she encouraged me to ask my question...hoping I will get a response that will help me decide what to do.

I was recently accepted to pharmacy school and I had to submit a form agreeing to a criminal background check. I don't have any convictions, but I do have an arrest for possession of marijuana from 7 years ago during which they took fingerprints. The charges were later dismissed. Does anyone here know if this will cause them to revoke my admission? I'm so happy to finally get on the road to my dream and I'm terrified it's all going to be taken away.

Do they only look at court records? in other words, convictions and/or trials? or do they check arrest records as well even if charges were never brought?
Also, do they take into consideration how long ago it was and that there is nothing else on the record?

I honestly can not answer your question but I would find it hard to believe anyone would look and say "You were arrested but no charges were ever brought so still you must not be a worthy individual" How many people are arrested all the time with no charges ever filed due to the fact that it was the wrong person ot no evidence etc.

I also find it hard to know how anyone could argue that a person with a 2 ton car driving drunk to potentially kill people is somehow less of a threat to society than someone touching themselves in public. I am not condoning it as something that is not a big deal but are we that stuck up in this society to not put a lethal threat above a non physical assult? It wasn't even directed at anyone to intimidate them for crying out loud. It is insane in my opinion that if you were seen urinating behind a bush that you can be slapped with the same title as a child rapist.

Also the military is accepting individuals with felony convictions (on the news yesterday). My friend is a pharmacist and says if he was to work for the Federal government he can get his license from any state and work for them anywhere so that is also an option if possible.

It's actually illegal to ask someone on a job/school application if they've ever been arrested for something. They can only ask if you've been convicted.
Be glad you weren't found guilty of marijuana posession because that can block certain forms of federal financial aid.

So when you guys are speaking of a charged felony... As I understand it there is a good 80%-90% you won't be able to get into pharmacy school? Even if it is just charged, but not convicted?

Here's my situtation, both my exbf and I both want to go to pharmacy school...However, over the course of our relationship he has become more violent... Recently (last week), he decided to punch me in the face. I called the police to report him because I'm extremely tired of this treatment which has been over 8 months. I'm hesitating on whether to go through with the case... he'll be charged for domestic battery... Furthermore, we work together in the pharmacy, so the company has to take action now... He may be charge with employee assult on another employee... since it happened outside of work...

Work decided so far that since it was off the clock they wont terminate him, but one of us will have to transfer...

As for the police case on him for domestic battery, I dont know if I should go through with it... I dont know how much will his chance of getting in with be afterward... I do want to go through with the charges just so the next girl he hits will be a felony... but will the charges affect his chance?