Program-Specific Info / Q's IS FGCU a good school for OT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SB4OT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty excited because I got an interview for FGCU. I'm still waiting to hear back from UF. (For financial reasons those were the only ones I could apply to. I would have applied to FIU too but I am missing two of the required pre-reqs).

I was wondering if there is anyone who goes to FGCU for OT? Is it a good program? Any inside knowledge, reviews, etc?

I'm not sure yet, but I might end up choosing FGCU over UF if I get into both, due to cost. Would you do this? I know UF is ranked really high, and FGCU isn't ranked as high, but I'm not sure if those rankings are an accurate indication of quality, or just some numbers game that schools are playing.

I'm also not really interested in living in the area after graduating, but again the biggest plus for FGCU is it's affordability. Some people on here were saying to take affordability over prestige.

Also I notice that most of the faculty has a strong interest in pediatrics. I do not. I was wondering if anyone who goes there feels like there is an over-emphasis or bias towards pediatrics or if people who are not interested in pediatrics (but are interested in several other areas of OT) would feel alright there.

Just to add, personally, I don't care about things to do, bars, clubs, etc as far as when I am asking about the quality of FGCU as a school. I don't care that there are no bars, or things to do (in grad school I probably won't have time for anything anyway) but I do care about the academics. I just want to know if they prepare you well for an OT career and if you feel like the academics are of good quality.

Finally, if you had your choice or could choose again, would you still go to FGCU and if yes or no, why?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious what you ultimately decided. I'm in the exact same predicament this application cycle. Are you from Florida?

Reactions: 1 user
Also wondering the same. I go to UF currently but I'm interviewing at FGCU this weekend. I'm actually from that area so I toured the program in the summer, but I don't know much about rankings and all that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same predicament as well, I went to UF undergrad and applied to FGCU, Nova, and a bunch of out of state schools. I live near FGCU and have had about 5 family members and many friends attend FGCU for undergrad. While doing my volunteer hours I met a girl who was doing her level II fieldwork, she said the faculty was really discombobulated, plus the rankings online didn't help. BUT - I had an interview and just got accepted to the school the week after. During the interview I asked the 2 professors I interviewed with about what the weaknesses of the program were and what the university was doing to improve them, and they said they were in the process of hiring all new faculty members. Apparently one of the faculty in charge of placements wasn't great at it so they are getting a new one, and they are integrating more creative teaching methods. I got to tour the facility, the PT and OT students are on different floors (unlike USA which is integrated until upper level courses) and they do have a cadaver lab. I think it's definitely worth considering. If you have any other questions about FGCU and the interview process don't hesitate to ask.

I really don't want to have to go to FGCU since I grew up in Naples and i sort of want to get out of here (unless I can rent an apartment up by the school bc I don't want to have to live with my grandparents half of the year and commute every day 45mins) but I also spent 4 years at UF already. These are my only options as far as saving money goes, with the exception maybe of WSSU bc it's a state school. I'm definitely considering FGCU and will be saving my spot but I'm also waiting to hear back from 7-8 schools. It's a freedom from debt vs freedom of living my life issue for me.

I'm in the same predicament as well, I went to UF undergrad and applied to FGCU, Nova, and a bunch of out of state schools. I live near FGCU and have had about 5 family members and many friends attend FGCU for undergrad. While doing my volunteer hours I met a girl who was doing her level II fieldwork, she said the faculty was really discombobulated, plus the rankings online didn't help. BUT - I had an interview and just got accepted to the school the week after. During the interview I asked the 2 professors I interviewed with about what the weaknesses of the program were and what the university was doing to improve them, and they said they were in the process of hiring all new faculty members. Apparently one of the faculty in charge of placements wasn't great at it so they are getting a new one, and they are integrating more creative teaching methods. I got to tour the facility, the PT and OT students are on different floors (unlike USA which is integrated until upper level courses) and they do have a cadaver lab. I think it's definitely worth considering. If you have any other questions about FGCU and the interview process don't hesitate to ask.

I really don't want to have to go to FGCU since I grew up in Naples and i sort of want to get out of here (unless I can rent an apartment up by the school bc I don't want to have to live with my grandparents half of the year and commute every day 45mins) but I also spent 4 years at UF already. These are my only options as far as saving money goes, with the exception maybe of WSSU bc it's a state school. I'm definitely considering FGCU and will be saving my spot but I'm also waiting to hear back from 7-8 schools. It's a freedom from debt vs freedom of living my life issue for me.

Thanks for the insight! The financial aspect makes everything difficult. I only applied to FGCU and UF this application cycle. Hopefully it works out because I would really like to avoid the cost of going to a private school. I have an interview coming up with FGCU at the end of this month. I read somewhere on another forum that people who went to FGCU's program said it was disorganized. Hopefully the changes they are making will help. How much did you have to pay to save your spot at FGCU?

Thanks for the insight! The financial aspect makes everything difficult. I only applied to FGCU and UF this application cycle. Hopefully it works out because I would really like to avoid the cost of going to a private school. I have an interview coming up with FGCU at the end of this month. I read somewhere on another forum that people who went to FGCU's program said it was disorganized. Hopefully the changes they are making will help. How much did you have to pay to save your spot at FGCU?

Hey I just got accepted to FGCU on 2/17 and it's a $200 non-refundable deposit to save your spot. You have 2 weeks to accept. I do have a friend in the program that's about to graduate and she loves it, but other than that I don't know much about it. I'm also waiting to hear back from UF. I know the Pre-OT students found out already so maybe we will end up hearing soon! I'm going to the MOT program information session today, so I will keep you updated if I hear anything about decisions.

Hey I just got accepted to FGCU on 2/17 and it's a $200 non-refundable deposit to save your spot. You have 2 weeks to accept. I do have a friend in the program that's about to graduate and she loves it, but other than that I don't know much about it. I'm also waiting to hear back from UF. I know the Pre-OT students found out already so maybe we will end up hearing soon! I'm going to the MOT program information session today, so I will keep you updated if I hear anything about decisions.
Awesome! Thanks so much! Judging from threads from previous years it looks like they found out around this time next month.

Good luck on your interview!! It was 200 to save the spot

I had an interview three weeks ago. I have not heard back. What was your interview date and how soon after did you receive your acceptance letter?

my daughter interviewed this past weekend and was told it could be 3-4 weeks before the notify students. FGCU goes on spring break next week too. good luck!!!

I had an interview three weeks ago. I have not heard back. What was your interview date and how soon after did you receive your acceptance letter?
daughter got an e-mail from Wanda earlier this week and she said they should know something next week

I'm pretty excited because I got an interview for FGCU. I'm still waiting to hear back from UF. (For financial reasons those were the only ones I could apply to. I would have applied to FIU too but I am missing two of the required pre-reqs).

I was wondering if there is anyone who goes to FGCU for OT? Is it a good program? Any inside knowledge, reviews, etc?

I'm not sure yet, but I might end up choosing FGCU over UF if I get into both, due to cost. Would you do this? I know UF is ranked really high, and FGCU isn't ranked as high, but I'm not sure if those rankings are an accurate indication of quality, or just some numbers game that schools are playing.

I'm also not really interested in living in the area after graduating, but again the biggest plus for FGCU is it's affordability. Some people on here were saying to take affordability over prestige.

Also I notice that most of the faculty has a strong interest in pediatrics. I do not. I was wondering if anyone who goes there feels like there is an over-emphasis or bias towards pediatrics or if people who are not interested in pediatrics (but are interested in several other areas of OT) would feel alright there.

Just to add, personally, I don't care about things to do, bars, clubs, etc as far as when I am asking about the quality of FGCU as a school. I don't care that there are no bars, or things to do (in grad school I probably won't have time for anything anyway) but I do care about the academics. I just want to know if they prepare you well for an OT career and if you feel like the academics are of good quality.

Finally, if you had your choice or could choose again, would you still go to FGCU and if yes or no, why?

Thanks in advance

Did you find out from either schools? I am going to be applying to UF and FGCU this fall!

I know this Is an older thread, but I have an interview with FGCU soon, and would love your insight on the interview process, what questions are asked etc. Thanks!!