Is getting an EMT-B worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baratheonfire

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about taking an EMT-B course over 6 weeks this summer, and then volunteering in a hospital for the remainder. I'll be doing research on campus concurrently. Is it worth taking the course? I've already volunteered in a hospital for ~200 hours, and was BORED out of my mind. They just made me restock blankets and food (does this even count as a clinical experience?). I'm hoping getting certified as an EMT will give me more hands on opportunities. Does this even help with med school apps? The course is ~$800, so this is could be an expensive mistake.

Members don't see this ad.

This will for sure help with you any medical school or health related fields especially for PA or doctor. You should do it if you can! Just make sure that you can take it in 6 weeks and that you will not need more time...being an EMT is a huge plus

P.S. - why isn't there any forum for physicians assistant?

It isn't particularly helpful - but I personally really enjoyed the course, although I elected not to maintain my certification. I think it's a really safe, fun way to expose yourself to the tip of the iceberg of medical thinking.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you have to pay for the course? Also, did you have better volunteering experiences afterwards?

I'll be taking the course as well over the summer, except mine is about 13ish weeks.

I think it'll be beneficial, especially if you elect to continue with a job in the field. You'll see an array of conditions and cases with a lot of patients. As well as your weekly routine customers who waste your time.

Also just read that your course was 800$ dollars... WHAT?

My course is offered at the local community college for 198$ dollars... you might want to find a new way of taking the course.

I think the value of being a basic is overrated. There are so many of them that it's not unique, and your motivation may be questioned if you never actually work on an ambulance.

Actually working full time as a basic is a different story.

Reactions: 2 users
Also just read that your course was 800$ dollars... WHAT?

My course is offered at the local community college for 198$ dollars... you might want to find a new way of taking the course.

You got lucky - most EMT courses run $600 and up. The EMT-A course I'm in was $600 and heavily discounted due to connections.

I personally love my certification. I volunteer at the campus EMS agency, and having this healthcare experience on my resume got me a job at the local hospital in surgical services as well. It's a fun way to get healthcare experience and to learn to start identifying and treating problems. You even get to give some drugs (albeit only occasionally if you're a basic) which is a really cool thing to get to do as a premed.

Nice! Did you notice an improvement in clinical exposure while volunteering after you got your certification?

Reactions: 3 users
I was an EMT-B and it was a complete waste. Got my cert the summer after freshman year and was completely unable to get a job for a long time because I neither had the experience, nor was I a paramedic. I was able to do some minimal volunteering and worked at a large waterpark for a summer, but other than making me some extra cash it pretty much did nothing for my application. If you can land a job that really gets you the experience then go for it. If you think it's going to give you a major leg up on your applications, I'd strongly reconsider why you are doing it.

O2 and transport.

Based on what I know, I wouldn't suggest wasting the time and money just to beef up a medical school application (there are many other ways of getting clinical experience). If you're genuinely interested in seeing what it's like, though, then go right ahead.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
By itself it won't do much to help your med school app emt pre meds aren't exactly unique. I also remember reading a thread here on one of these forms how emergency medicine is something that's viewed as more as just any general ec and not clinical experience by med schools as its viewed as a different field with different perspective but this is just based off my vague memory and I could easily be nis representing what I read. Just something to consider I can try to find the thread if interested

There are many good reasons to do an emt. It's an amazing enriching experience that is full of life experiences unlike other fields. But there are much better ways of boosting your med school app than by obtaining an emt-basic. Oh and If you get the certificate use it; one thing I can guarantee that'll do nothing for your med school app is just listing the certificate with no experience.

Last edited:
Simply having the certification will not do much for you. I have an EMT-B certification. The experience is what makes this worthwhile. Do NOT go into this simply because you want to beef up your CV. As @GrapesofRath pointed out, if you're going to get the certificate, USE IT. I can't tell you the number of stupid premeds who do this and don't actually go out there and apply what they learned in the classroom.

You got lucky - most EMT courses run $600 and up. The EMT-A course I'm in was $600 and heavily discounted due to connections.

I personally love my certification. I volunteer at the campus EMS agency, and having this healthcare experience on my resume got me a job at the local hospital in surgical services as well. It's a fun way to get healthcare experience and to learn to start identifying and treating problems. You even get to give some drugs (albeit only occasionally if you're a basic) which is a really cool thing to get to do as a premed.
Man... I feel lucky now, haha.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, I plan to do at least 100 more hours of hospital volunteering. I just don't want to be super bored when I do it.

Man... I feel lucky now, haha.

Do-you-feel-lucky.jpg

Agree with others.

Only get the cert if A) you have the time to actually use it, B) there are local jobs available, and C) you're actually interested in EMS.

I'd say good clinical experience would involve working at least 1 yr part time or 6mo full time at a moderately busy EMS agency or Fire Dept.

Using it to work at sporting events/concerts/amusement parks/resorts/etc... mostly involves sitting around doing nothing on standby. Good for some extra beer money every month but not so good for any meaningful experience. Even most campus EMS gigs aren't very busy.

I got my EMT-B license my senior year in high school and I consider that to be one of the best decisions I have made. I agree that you should only get it if you intend to work. A friend of mine had the opportunity to ask the director of admissions for Carver COM (Iowa) this question. He said the ADCOMS can see right through a certification without use. The fact I actually worked for 3.5 years as an EMT came up during my interview and I was complimented for actually working as an EMT. The experience will teach you a lot about the medical field including respect for all healthcare jobs and how to deal with and have patience/compassion for the people who "waste your time" as another poster accurately described. Additionally, you can get paid to sit in bed and post on SDN (I may or may not be doing that right now). As far as being bored in a hospital goes, an ambulance can become boring at times also. The difference is you get to be a part of the action and actually contribute to patient care. This experience is second to none if you ask me or my co-workers (ok maybe there are a few other better experiences I can't think of). If you just want the cert, don't waste your time. If you want to work, go for it. PM me with any questions and I will be happy to answer them for you.

I actually just had a LNP put me down during my shift for going out and getting one. He asked me what I was doing over the summer, and I told him. Gives me a look and said, "..why?". Told me it was a waste of time as you don't do much being an EMT-B.

I see where he is coming from, but I want ACTUAL patient-contact hours to add to my CV and would want to be able to experience a different side of medicine with comparison to working with mid-levels and attendings.

I actually just had a LNP put me down during my shift for going out and getting one. He asked me what I was doing over the summer, and I told him. Gives me a look and said, "..why?". Told me it was a waste of time as you don't do much being an EMT-B.

I see where he is coming from, but I want ACTUAL patient-contact hours to add to my CV and would want to be able to experience a different side of medicine with comparison to working with mid-levels and attendings.

What are you doing now?

What are you doing now?
I'm the chief medical scribe (or manager, in layman's terms) of a group of scribes at a rural hospital. I full-time scribe on top of managing. We have 14 beds (4 of these are considered fast-track) with two trauma rooms. One of the 14 is a psych room if a patient is present. We also have an additional 5 used as an overflow any time we have 15-20 seeking care in the waiting room.

If we have more than 2 or 3 psych patients, the overflow becomes the "psych ward" as we do not have an official psych ward.

EDIT: To clarify, this is for emergency medicine.

Last edited:
*UPDATE*

Don't take an EMT-B class... We just did an online discussion board and the spelling errors are killing me. Someone actually wants a career as a "perimedic". I want out. Community college is scary. I'm not prepared.

I'm the chief medical scribe (or manager, in layman's terms) of a group of scribes at a rural hospital. I full-time scribe on top of managing. We have 14 beds (4 of these are considered fast-track) with two trauma rooms. One of the 14 is a psych room if a patient is present. We also have an additional 5 used as an overflow any time we have 15-20 seeking care in the waiting room.

If we have more than 2 or 3 psych patients, the overflow becomes the "psych ward" as we do not have an official psych ward.

EDIT: To clarify, this is for emergency medicine.

Meh. I'd say you're wasting your time based on what you're already doing. But, if you want to do it, have fun! :p

My on and off campus EMT-B patient contact experience and leadership experience made up a large portion of my application. And I think it helped a fair bit.
No, you don't do very exciting things (O2 and transport is about right) - but I got way more exposure to medical things than sitting at a reception desk at a hospital (my previous volunteer work).
The certification wont get you into medical school, but what you do with the certification could help greatly.

Reactions: 4 users
What do you guys propose - nurse assistant or EMT? In terms of acceptance to PA school and learning more about the medical field?