Is Holding 5 Acceptances Too Many?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllThatRacket

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let me start this thread by saying I feel so blessed to be in this position. I never thought I would have more than one or two acceptances. My interview cycle is essentially over and I have heard back from all the schools I interviewed at. I have 5 acceptances, and depending on the financial packages, I could see myself attending any of these schools.

Is it ok to hold these 5 acceptances until financial packages come out, or will this be viewed negatively by schools when the multiple acceptance report comes out? Should I narrow down my list more?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You have every right to hold all 5 acceptances until you have all the information you'll need to make an informed decision. The cost of attendance after factoring in financial aid is going to be a big factor (unless you are independently wealthy) so wait until you have your financial aid offers before withdrawing your applications.

Reactions: 14 users
You have every right to hold all 5 acceptances until you have all the information you'll need to make an informed decision. The cost of attendance after factoring in financial aid is going to be a big factor (unless you are independently wealthy) so wait until you have your financial aid offers before withdrawing your applications.

Is there a realistic cap on this. If I have 12 offers, can I still wait until March without schools having a negative view of me . Assuming I want to choose a cheaper school and financial aid would be a huge deciding factor for me. Is it common for top schools that give scholarship money to release this info in March?

Sorry to piggy back on the above poster but I'm very curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course it is fine to hold all your spots. You earned them. Until you know what they are offering you'd be a fool to give them up. Your last choice might look a lot more appealing if they gave you a large scholarship.

Reactions: 2 users
Is there a realistic cap on this. If I have 12 offers, can I still wait until March without schools having a negative view of me . Assuming I want to choose a cheaper school and financial aid would be a huge deciding factor for me. Is it common for top schools that give scholarship money to release this info in March?

No one is going to care. Don't hold acceptances if you're not planning on going to that institution, but it's perfectly fine to wait until you get financial aid packages, attend second looks, etc..

No one is going to care. Don't hold acceptances if you're not planning on going to that institution, but it's perfectly fine to wait until you get financial aid packages, attend second looks, etc..

Okay. Thanks. I just wasn't sure because I thought I read somewhere on here that it was viewed negatively to hold too many spots.

If you are honestly considering all 12 schools, then absolutely hold them. Some people (other pre-meds) might tell you to "be considerate" and withdraw so that others can get in, but it makes no difference whether you withdraw now or on May 15, someone will get in regardless, they'll just have to wait a few more months. You earned those spots, hold on to the ones you want until you have all the financial info (and second looks, if applicable) to make a final decision.

Reactions: 4 users
If you are honestly considering all 12 schools, then absolutely hold them. Some people (other pre-meds) might tell you to "be considerate" and withdraw so that others can get in, but it makes no difference whether you withdraw now or on May 15, someone will get in regardless, they'll just have to wait a few more months. You earned those spots, hold on to the ones you want until you have all the financial info (and second looks, if applicable) to make a final decision.

I would def drop the ones that are too expensive. I just wouldn't know that until after I get my financial aid package. Otherwise I would be happy attending any of them.

Hang on to them as long as is feasible until you make your decision. You earned the right to carefully consider your options.

Well, if you want to be nice, you can rank the schools and lower it down to 3 choices to help those applicants who are on the waitlist. But, you don't have to do that. Just remember that you can only go to one.

Glad to see the advice being given here. I would certainly hold them all until after seeing the total cost of attendance.

Typically later in the cycle the advice given in these threads tends to swing the other way. Usually the source is other applicants anxious to get a spot from the waiting list. Even at that point, it makes sense to continue to hold acceptances until you have all of the information you need to make a good decision.

There is nothing wrong with holding all acceptances until you have the financial aid packages (or lack thereof!) to make a decision. Holding 17 positions well after aid offers have been made serves no useful purpose, makes you look indecisive, and delays decisions from waitlists. This type of hoarding happens in less than 5% of cases, thankfully.
Moving Traffic Day back two weeks should make this less of an issue this year.

Reactions: 4 users
Well, if you want to be nice, you can rank the schools and lower it down to 3 choices to help those applicants who are on the waitlist. But, you don't have to do that. Just remember that you can only go to one.

Holding multiple acceptances is not a mean thing to do. Financial aid is a game changer for many, and if he can see himself attending any of the schools, money will be a pretty large factor in his decision. I understand the frustration of being on a wait list and seeing people with a lot of acceptances, but that's the way it is. There will be movement whether it's now or in May.

Reactions: 1 users
Okay. Thanks. I just wasn't sure because I thought I read somewhere on here that it was viewed negatively to hold too many spots.
You would, if you are holding 23 seats well after all the financial aid packages were released to you like someone in the last cycle. That just shows irrationality and greed. As long as you are holding seats to really benefit yourself for financial or geographical consideration, no one would and should bait an eye.

EDIT: Although personally, I don't see myself holding more than a few at a given time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Some schools are also weird about scholarships. I have a close friend that wasn't offered a scholarship until he called to withdraw in May. After being offered the scholarship, they reconsidered their decision since it greatly expanded the cost gap between the state school being considered and the private school being considered.

Long story short, don't withdraw from a school early on unless you legitimately could not see yourself attending for any reason (IE if you are holding onto a well ranked school with low COA near your support network there is pretty much no circumstance in which you would choose to attend a low ranked school in a new state with terrible weather).

Best of luck, you certainly worked hard (and got lucky) to be in the position you are now in!

Don't let any SDNer or fellow premed guilt trip you into dropping some early. As said earlier, you earned it and deserve to hold onto the acceptances until the deadline. I would definitely wait until financial aid come in at least. Maybe drop schools you did not have any interest in though.

Congratulations on your acceptances!

Ouch. :( I dropped half of my acceptances at the behest of my pre-health advisor (who also keeps reminding me to drop more). I felt guilty holding on to so many – and I did have a few clear-cut favourites from the bunch – but this may have not been the best move financially.

This is what I get for not checking SDN beforehand.