is intramural sports worth mentioning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fastfingers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is intramural sports worth mentioning on the med school app? I know this is might be a silly question, but my EC is like almost all med related with almost no diversity. I've been captaining all my teams, and we run some practices and have done pretty well. however, it seems too much like fun and games for me to put it on the app (and clearly not serious enough to be like a club sport).

Members don't see this ad.

You should include pretty much anything that you contributed a significant amount of time or energy into.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, its just a bunch of friends practicing a tad bit like couple hours a week in pickup. it just seems too easy for me to feel like putting it in.

Put it if you spent a significant amount of time on it.

The Work/Activities section isn't a trick question.

If you got something significant out of it, or put something significant into it. Put it under its own spot as a hobby. Admissions will evaluate whether or not it's important. Just don't fabricate or make things bigger than they really are.

I've seen people practice a lot and even record their practices and intramural games. You don't have to be varsity to be dedicated.

Put it. Makes you look like a normal human being who isn't doing clinical research or changing Haitian babies' diapers all the time.

If you have the good luck to have your application read by someone who played those same sports (or some of the same sports) in college, or even HS, then the reader might, even unconsciously, identify with you and recommend you for interview.

In an open file interview, the interviewer might be looking for an easy conversation piece and ask you about your teams. That sort of question about something you enjoy is meant to help you relax and eliminate nervousness. It also serves to determine if you really played sports or if you attended one practice, quit, but put it on the application to appear well-rounded. If you can't speak with enthusiasm on the topic for at least 5 minutes, leave it out.

alright sounds like i'll prolly put it on since i captained the team and we worked pretty hard to win a championship.

alright sounds like i'll prolly put it on since i captained the team and we worked pretty hard to win a championship.

Honestly it likely won't help or hurt you either way. It will look pretty meaningless when compared to those folks who actually played intercollegiate sports. In general, if it feels like fluff, it probably is.

yeah it's kinda how i felt initially. i'll prolly just include it cuz most ppl here have encouraged me to put it in.

Honestly it likely won't help or hurt you either way. It will look pretty meaningless when compared to those folks who actually played intercollegiate sports. In general, if it feels like fluff, it probably is.

you don't have to have played intercollegiate sports to be looked at as a sports star. at our state schools there is no 'funded' soccer team for the university. if you're playing for the school you're playing as part of a 'club' and since there is no prestige involved in this, no one chooses to play for the school team. instead, people play in the city league, and its pretty damn competitive. also, people enter tons of tournaments, so if you've won tournaments or even got to the finals of your intramural tournament it matters quite a bit. most intramural teams don't show up, have too few players, or some other crap. if you're doing well in intramural, and you have to organize people to get together i'd say its important (trust me, i was intramural captain for our soccer team and it was a pain in the butt to get people together to practice or even show up for a game).

Is intramural sports worth mentioning on the med school app? I know this is might be a silly question, but my EC is like almost all med related with almost no diversity. I've been captaining all my teams, and we run some practices and have done pretty well. however, it seems too much like fun and games for me to put it on the app (and clearly not serious enough to be like a club sport).

Absolutely, this shows a great side of you besides academics. I can't see any reason not to include this.