Is investing ~400,000 dollars really worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am capping off at $250k. I will not go if I have to accrue more than that amount total (undergrad&dental). I've also decided to live with family while in school. I'm not playing any games with these loans.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am capping off at $250k. I will not go if I have to accrue more than that amount total (undergrad&dental). I've also decided to live with family while in school. I'm not playing any games with these loans.
You are banking on one school?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am capping off at $250k. I will not go if I have to accrue more than that amount total

I second this! Can I ask you what you plan to do if not dental school?

I second this! Can I ask you what you plan to do if not dental school?
I think about this question often actually. I actually chose not to major in a science so in the event that I don't get in right away I can work. However, my plan ABCD-Z has been and will always be dental school.

Wait, off topic here, aren't you premed? Whys your status say pre-dent? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Ugh, I like dentistry. I would love it even more if it wasn't for opportunity cost.

Ugh, I like dentistry. I would love it even more if it wasn't for opportunity cost.

Ah, I see. We are kind of similar then lol, I was thinking of switching to pursue medicine after looking into rising dental school costs.

Ah, I see. We are kind of similar then lol, I was thinking of switching to pursue medicine after looking into rising dental school costs.

Is this a viable option? Can we actually still switch? Hmm...

Is this a viable option? Can we actually still switch? Hmm...

From what I'm seeing, it's still a very secured job, MUCH lower tuition than dentistry (huge subsidization from feds from pre-doc program all the way to residency),higher pay, more diverse options (specialities and research within these specialities). But of course the things that turned me away were:

1. The Hours - you get paid more but hell you're gonna work for it.
2. The Stress - from long hours/dealing with hospital administration
3. Soooo much paperwork <-- real biggy here, I was bored out of my mind shadowing some physicians when they were hardly talking to patients

Of course a lot of this goes away as you move up the food chain but so does the debt from dental school. I mean, despite them both being medical professions and sometimes half your schooling is the same, post graduation it differs by a lot.

The 3 schools in Texas. I have a child so I can't just up and leave the state even if I wanted to.

Why should having children matter where you live. People move all the time with children. Hopefully you get into dental school right down the street, but the reality is, that just isn't an option for just about everyone.

250k not including living right? Will you/do you have a large amount of undergraduate loans?
I only say this because UTSD houston including living expenses is 240k~
And since you have a family I can only assume your living expenses will be more expensive than the average.

Why should having children matter where you live. People move all the time with children. Hopefully you get into dental school right down the street, but the reality is, that just isn't an option for just about everyone.

Might be a custody issue...

From what I'm seeing, it's still a very secured job, MUCH lower tuition than dentistry (huge subsidization from feds from pre-doc program all the way to residency),higher pay, more diverse options (specialities and research within these specialities). But of course the things that turned me away were:

1. The Hours - you get paid more but hell you're gonna work for it.
2. The Stress - from long hours/dealing with hospital administration
3. Soooo much paperwork <-- real biggy here, I was bored out of my mind shadowing some physicians when they were hardly talking to patients

Of course a lot of this goes away as you move up the food chain but so does the debt from dental school. I mean, despite them both being medical professions and sometimes half your schooling is the same, post graduation it differs by a lot.

Hmmm....Interesting...and I wish to travel internationally a lot, and U.S. dental degrees aren't recognized overseas beyond a few select nations. Whereas doctors are needed everywhere...

Plus my GPA would give me a shot at a Med School acceptance...

All this coupled with significantly less debt and a higher earning potential?

Going to go explore this in good detail.

Hmmm....Interesting...and I wish to travel internationally a lot, and U.S. dental degrees aren't recognized overseas beyond a few select nations. Whereas doctors are needed everywhere...

Plus my GPA would give me a shot at a Med School acceptance...

All this coupled with significantly less debt and a higher earning potential?

Going to go explore this in good detail.

Lol you already applied and you're not sure you want to do dentistry because Medicine might pay more?

I'm confused. It reminded me of this person who is in dental school, took a gap year and shadowed during the gap year (already applied at this point btw) because this person wanted to know for sure if dentistry is what this person wanted to do for a career. In my head, shouldn't you already know by the time you applied?

Last edited:
Lol you already applied and you're not sure you want to do dentistry because Medicine might pay more?

No no no- you misunderstood- My main hold-up is the debt. Don't want > 250K debt.

And I didn't apply already. I Apply next year.

No no no- you misunderstood- My main hold-up is the debt. Don't want > 250K debt.

And I didn't apply already. I Apply next year.

Gotcha. I apologize if that came off inflammatory. I've recently learned of a dental student who finished her first semester (last year I think), decided within the first few months she didn't like that gross anatomy was only head and neck so she switched and applied to med school. So I get a little sore because that chair could've been given to someone else who was more devoted to the dental profession.

Gotcha. I apologize if that came off inflammatory. I've recently learned of a dental student who finished her first semester (last year I think), decided within the first few months she didn't like that gross anatomy was only head and neck so she switched and applied to med school. So I get a little sore because that chair could've been given to someone else who was more devoted to the dental profession.

I understand where you are coming from, and don't worry, I have a fairly thick skin. Thanks though!

I'm a single mom but I have quite a bit of family in the Dallas area. I could just pick up and move but I'm choosing to stay and get all the help I can. I live with family now so I don't have many living expenses.