Is it acceptable to withdraw from this semester (6 cred) due to family deaths? Advice needed please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medadvicewanted

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN! Had a quick question that I wanted to run by you all and hopefully I am not torn apart on the forums haha. So after finishing my masters last year, I decided to do another (don't ask why, it was an idiotic decision, I was actually just really interested in the subject and had a gap year). Anyways, last semester I did fine, but at the end my aunt passed away right before this semester. That on top of the death of my grandmother this summer was pretty tough for me and I didn't do too hot in 2 classes this semester. I can still withdraw from the classes (getting a W) or switch to pass/fail (might not pass). I technically don't need this extra masters at all and was just doing it for educational value. If I withdrew I don't know if I could also tell admissions about the family hardships. I don't know if the withdrawal will draw any extra looks. In addition, there are 2 seminar courses along with the 2 courses I didn't do so well it. I am not sure if I should withdraw fully from the semester or just drop the 2 bad courses. Furthermore, there was an additional course which I did not register for but attended for the off chance I could get an A (I have been doing the work and told my professor about the situation). Should I add that course and drop the rest? I also know that on aadsas schools would probably not realize that these classes were taken as part of another masters program. I realize it is a complicated situation but I will be applying this summer and also retaking the DAT, previous masters GPA was a 3.5. Sorry for the random question, I appreciate your thoughts! For reference, the 2 seminar courses are just "pass/fail" and they would be passes and the additional course I could add would be graded. I think no matter what I will be dropping the 2 bad grade courses just wondering what the best way to do so is.

Members don't see this ad.

Drop the bad 2 courses and add the good one.

The higher your GPA the greater your chance is of getting interviews, which needs to be the main focus. If the admission committees actually do ask about the W's then let them know about the turmoil you overcame and tell them about the lessons you learned and the emotional growth you experienced...(just make sure not to over dwell on it, even if legitimate). If you are taking classes in the fall then doing well in those can demonstrate your resiliency and give additional merit to your emotional struggles impacting your grades.

Losing family members really sucks and can definitely throw people off of their A-games. Some people seem to plow through anything to an A... but a stumble here or there for the right reasons can actually help schools realize you're human...just try to limit the damage or you may not get the chance to address their questions face to face.

Good luck on your DAT retake, you can do it!

Thanks for your reply! I talked with the professor today about adding the course...and now all of a sudden he is not too keen on it...so I guess that's not going to happen and it was essentially a waste of time doing the work for that class. Regardless, do you now think it is better to withdraw completely from the semester? I was told by my advisor it would look weirder to have S, S, W, W rather than W, W,W, W and would be easier explained if I withdrew from the term.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Tough call. I personally would go with S, S, W, W and keep the progress you've made.

To me W, W, W, W looks like a complete a meltdown...

Tough call. I personally would go with S, S, W, W and keep the progress you've made.

To me W, W, W, W looks like a complete a meltdown...

Would it still be considered as a meltdown if there is an explanation? (family circumstances) the advisors have told me people do this all the time so I am not sure. They told me S, S, W, W will make it look like I actually did poorly in the classes, whereas term withdrawal is easier to explain and looks a lot more plausible based on the circumstances.

Would it still be considered as a meltdown if there is an explanation? (family circumstances) the advisors have told me people do this all the time so I am not sure. They told me S, S, W, W will make it look like I actually did poorly in the classes, whereas term withdrawal is easier to explain and looks a lot more plausible based on the circumstances.

Go with the advisers advice, I personally think you'll be fine either route. No matter if it's a W,W,W,W or S,S,W,W you will have some explaining to do if they inquire about it. I just remember that when I was interviewing someone asked me if there were any tough obstacles I had to overcome while in school... Staying in school and finishing a semester even though my brother unexpectedly passed away (albeit not my best semester) was definitely a challenge and something the interviewer realized was difficult on me. Your situation is a bit different though, I never took any courses as pass/fail. You're going to have to do what ever feels best for you.