Is it all over for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saito

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm really sorry for posting yet another will I get in thread; but I'm seriously freaking out here and you guys are the only ones that know the struggle lol
I just got a D in orgo II...
*Right now my pre-req GPA is a ~3.12
*With my overall being dropped to a ~3.16
*PCAT percentile is an 86
*i'm a sophmore but I want to apply to pharm school a a year earlier that normal so I can "skip" my senior year.
*I'm the pre-reqs im missing are: Microbio, Biochem (They don't all want this), Calc, stats, physics 2 (they dont all want this) and A and P.
As for extra curricular stuff
*-I've tutored biology through my schools tutoring center for 3 semesters now and have a letter to prove it
*-I've done ~400 hours of volunteering at a P.Ts office and she wrote me a rec. letter
*Did developmental Biology research as a semester long project with my professor, made a poster of it with my partners and presented it at my schools creative inquiry far- they gave me a certificate for that lol
*I was elected treasurer of my schools Bio-med society for the upcoming fall semester

I did take some "advanced" science classes so far
*Genetics
*Developmental Biology

I'm mainly looking at north east schools as I'm NYC based. LIU is my main choice pretty much
Should I even bother applying this cycle? My gpa was ruined by the D and pretty much only LIU accepts pre req grades lower than a C.
Is it worth it to spend money and apply to only 1 school?
I'm freaking out here. I'm definitely going to retake orgo 2 next semester but the damage has been done...

Oh as for req letters I have a bunch
*From my Biology professor (submitted through pharmcas)
*From my Eng. comp professor
*From the tutoring center
*From the P.T
Here's my problem there: only the letter from my bio professor was submitted through pharmcas. I didn't know that I needed to actually submit them through the website before that, and therefore the rest are paper. Are those acceptable? Can I upload them somehow?
My other main worry is not having any proper pharmacy experience. I haven't really had time and my summer is booked since I'm taking the PCAT again (hopefully over a 90 this time) and after that my family wants me overseas.

So would it be possible for me to get an interview at LIU this cycle? I just need to get my foot in the door, my interview skills are pretty good.
Sorry for the long neurotic post, I'm just really freaking out and need some advice.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your extracurriculars are amazing in addition to strong letter of recs so that I wouldn't worry too much about that. However, you have the potential to become a stronger applicant if you wait and don't skip your senior year by working hard to get those remaining A's. In addition, you answered the question yourself. You lack pharmacy experience and should try to get some work experience as a pharm tech. Getting a bachelor's degree will be a plus so why not wait until you finish your senior year. I can guarantee that your application will be very strong that way. Those are the negatives I see in your application right now.

Reactions: 1 user
You will have to repeat Organic II. All schools I know of require at least a C- in all the required pre reqs. Everything else looks good though.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe take Orgo II at a CC in the summer? Get that A on the transcript quickly so schools don't have to wonder.

I'll retake it in the fall of course.
I really REALLY effing hate that class though, it just boils down to memorizing hexagons and arrows after a while.
Is pharm school Orgo heavy? Or is it like med school where i'll never have to look at this crap again?
Also, about my rec letters, is it an issue that a lot of them were on paper? Is there anyway I can upload them to pharmcas?

Also sorry for double posting
LIU (my main school) says this on pharmcas:
Additionally, it is the applicant's responsibility to be aware and to fulfill the pre-requisite courses required for entry into the Professional Phase (P3) of the PharmD Program. Since the program is very competitive, a grade of “C” or higher in all pre-requisite courses is recommended.
It's only recommended not required apparently. I'll retake the class for the sake of other schools, but does this mean that if I apply this cycle I still have a chance?
Should I even apply at all this cycle? I detest my undergrad institution and would love nothing more than to leave that cesspit a year earlier

Also sorry for double posting
LIU (my main school) says this on pharmcas:
Additionally, it is the applicant's responsibility to be aware and to fulfill the pre-requisite courses required for entry into the Professional Phase (P3) of the PharmD Program. Since the program is very competitive, a grade of “C” or higher in all pre-requisite courses is recommended.
It's only recommended not required apparently. I'll retake the class for the sake of other schools, but does this mean that if I apply this cycle I still have a chance?
Should I even apply at all this cycle? I detest my undergrad institution and would love nothing more than to leave that cesspit a year earlier

Don't stress. You should definitely apply this cycle. Students take pre-reqs in the fall and spring too. You did well on your PCAT. I see people with horrible GPA AND PCAT applying and getting in. You have nothing to worry about. Just repeat that Organic class and get an A. You don't just want to apply to one school. Apply early and broadly.

As for the letters of recommendations, they cannot be on paper because you cannot upload them.Pharmcas emails your letter writers directly and asks them to fill out/ twrite up on the reference section after you enter their information on the Pharmcas application site. So you will have to ask your letter writers if they are willing to do that( which they shoul seeing how they already wrote one for you).

Maybe take Orgo II at a CC in the summer? Get that A on the transcript quickly so schools don't have to wonder.

I would do this. Take it at a CC and Just get it over with so you have a good grade to show by the time you upload your grades/transcripts in Aug/Sept. Since you have already taken Organic 2, it shouldn't be hard this time around.

Don't stress. You should definitely apply this cycle. Students take pre-reqs in the fall and spring too. You did well on your PCAT. I see people with horrible GPA AND PCAT applying and getting in. You have nothing to worry about. Just repeat that Organic class and get an A. You don't just want to apply to one school. Apply early and broadly.

As for the letters of recommendations, they cannot be on paper because you cannot upload them.Pharmcas emails your letter writers directly and asks them to fill out/ twrite up on the reference section after you enter their information on the Pharmcas application site. So you will have to ask your letter writers if they are willing to do that( which they shoul seeing how they already wrote one for you).

That might be an issue for me then. I go to a public school, and my two English professors already moved on to teach elsewhere, and I imagine the PT is very busy, I don't want to be a burden.
I really wish I knew about this earlier. Though thankfully my most important letter (Bio prof) is on pharmcas. Is there anyway to upload them to pharmcas myself and just check that I didn't waive my right to read them?
And thank you for the encouragement. After I retake it this July I should hopefully have a 90 + percentile on the PCAT, and that should get me to an interview I hope.
I'll make sure my statement and whatnot is top notch as well.
I would do this. Take it at a CC and Just get it over with so you have a good grade to show by the time you upload your grades/transcripts in Aug/Sept. Since you have already taken Organic 2, it shouldn't be hard this time around.

I'll look into that. Though i go to a CUNY so taking a CC class might be impossible.

Thank you so much guys for the help btw. SDN is a great place

^^ No there is no way for you to upload it yourself unless you put your own email address (in which case that would be fraud so do not do it lol) even if you waive it (it's better to waive it either way). Another thing, I know they really recommend a letter from a science professor, an employer/mentor and pharmacist or another professor so don't stress if you cannot get it from both English professors. Most Schools take three maximum, many just take 2.

Also, I am a teacher so I can say this with some degree of certainty that even if teachers move to some other institution, if they had previously written a recommendation letter for you, they would be happy to write you another one as long as you give them sufficient time to write one. I have written for students I taught few years ago when they ask me for one. Teachers remember students they write for. Most do anyway, in my experience as a student and a teacher. You could google where they now work and send them an email at their new institution's email address? It's worth trying.

I think you should retake OChem at CC and not even bother retaking the PCAT. Honestly, 4-10 points if you scored an 86 (aiming for 90+) isn't worth the money for the test (maybe I'm just cheap :p). Your time would be better spent trying to get shadowing/work experience at a pharmacy.

You only need OChem to get through MedChem. I HATED OChem and MedChem is fine for me (I've gotten an A or B+ each semester), but I've definitely heard some schools' OChem sucks more than others. Our MedChem didn't involve memorizing a bunch of useless reactions (which I am terrible at), there's some metabolism, but you didn't have to remember "how electrons flow" (-.-) for that.

And yes, your teachers will have to write your letter again. There is no way to submit it yourself. I think they also have a little questionnaire to fill out maybe???

You can always apply this cycle and continue to your bachelors if you don't get in.

Ok first off thank you guys for the thorough responses you've been giving me.
I've spent a few days asking basically everyone at my school and it looks like the ONLY way for me to re-take orgo 2 within the CUNY system is to somehow get the course withdrawn (99% it won't go through) or ask my professor to change my D to an F. Otherwise I would have to take it at a school outside the CUNY system which is much beyond my means financially and commuting-wise.
But you guys have seen how rude and unresponsive he is. I'm going to try my hardest but if he doesn't come through I'm probably going to just give up on pharmacy.
The only two schools in the REGION that don't have that stupid C minimum policy are LIU and Touro college. I called LIU and they said that if I do get accepted it would be contingent on me retaking orgo and getting a C or higher; which can't happen if the entire CUNY system won't let me retake the class.
I haven't called Touro but I have reason to believe they're a pretty crappy school; what with not requiring a PCAT score being having their accreditation audited. I've had it up to here with bad schools and I don't think I could handle another 4 years of dealing with crap like this. Every little thing is a struggle and I'm really sick and tired of it.
Anyway thanks again and tell me what you guys think.

Welp, I just sent the most polite, heartfelt email of my life
Hopefully it works.
I would have to explain an F on my application right? I get the feeling that even if I retake the class my application is still beyond repair