Is it bad that I'm not doing research this summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

Tawantinsuyu

I did research the past two summers, but I couldn't get back into the lab this summer because of budget cuts. I'm trying to work a normal job this summer. Is this bad for medical schools? I feel bad that I'm not working a science related job. I'm still going to volunteer at the hospital and try getting experience at the animal hospital since I'm still considering veterinary medicine, but I feel like all my pre-med friends are working in research labs and going on pre-med related trips to other countries while I'm doing almost nothing to advance myself....

Members don't see this ad.

They aren't all doing the things you think they are. Stop comparing yourself to your peers.
A lack of research for one summer, after doing two summer's worth already, will not be a problem. I'm sure you have more than enough research as it is. Keep up your volunteering and look around your area for some community involvement opportunities to fill the gap in your schedule. You shouldn't have trouble jumping back in next semester, assuming funding is a non-issue by then.

EDIT: Typo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Research isn't even a must have. You already have some. A 3rd summer isn't going to change anything.

Volunteer or shadow.

As someone else said, not everyone is doing all the awesome stuff you're imagining. The Pre-Allo section is intense, so I'm sure a lot of posters are running their own version of feed the children. But nationwide, most people volunteering a few hours, shadowing a bit, and drinking beer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did research the past two summers, but I couldn't get back into the lab this summer because of budget cuts. I'm trying to work a normal job this summer. Is this bad for medical schools? I feel bad that I'm not working a science related job. I'm still going to volunteer at the hospital and try getting experience at the animal hospital since I'm still considering veterinary medicine, but I feel like all my pre-med friends are working in research labs and going on pre-med related trips to other countries while I'm doing almost nothing to advance myself....
It's bad that you see research as some sort of checklist instead of a process that introduces you to the scientific method.

Reactions: 1 users
Just try and enjoy your summer. Who cares what everyone else is doing?

Reactions: 1 user
Correct me if I'm wrong, but to an adcom:

Unless if you're going to get published/present posters, two summers of animal work/cell culture=three summers of animal work/cell culture.

Just because you're doing a non-science/non-healthcare related job/internship etc. doesn't mean its considered "bad". Keep yourself busy, do something you are interested in, and it will come off well in your app and interviews.

I don't think missing 1 summer of research will matter, you probably already have "enough".

No