Is it better to do AAMC exams first or the AAMC self assessments?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ash366

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I bought all of my MCAT books from a friend, he also gave me AAMC old exams to practice. I heard that the AAMC exams contain passages from the self assessments. If that is the case, I wont be able to accurately score myself if for example: I do the AAMC self assessments, score myself then do the AAMC exams and run into a few passages that are the same as the self assessment.

I have also bought the new AAMC exams which are way shorter, but I decided to practice the old AAMC to strengthen my test taking skills etc.
What do you recommend? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Use the actual AAMC CBTs for FL practice. You can build stamina and test taking skills by taking other practice passages. Don't waste the opportunity to practice taking your FLs from the AAMC in the format you'll see on test day.

I agree with you but the problem is that I already practiced the new FLs previously since I took the actual MCAT in August. Now that Im retaking the MCAT, it wont be beneficial if I retake the same exams if I have come across all of the questions already.

Since I want to come across new questions that is from AAMC, I was thinking I should just practice the older version. I was thinking of doing Old FLs number 3-9, then FL number 10 and 11 of the new ones(shorter ones) so I have a gist of how it will be during the exam. Do you think that would be fine? Thank you for your help.

Do AAMC SA first. AAMC FLs are more realistic because the AAMC SA contains some questions that are not relevant to the current test (e.g., material on alkene reactions).