Is it better to submit a letter packet instead of individual LoR's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skrolls

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm submitting 4 individual letters from professors instead of a letter packet, and my university does not offer a committee letter. I'm asking because I'm amazed by the stupidly specific preferences and requirements that every med school have for them (Seriously adcoms, why the f*** would a LoR from a non-science professor I barely know be more valuable than one from the professor I did full-time research with for 2 years but didn't take a class with???).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Don't worry, I had a committee and opted out for individual letters and did fine. Also know many others who did great opting out.

A PI can tell us if you are diligent and really good in the lab, but not say anything about your qualifications for med school, or being a good doctor.

I'm submitting 4 individual letters from professors instead of a letter packet, and my university does not offer a committee letter. I'm asking because I'm amazed by the stupidly specific preferences and requirements that every med school have for them (Seriously adcoms, why the f*** would a LoR from a non-science professor I barely know be more valuable than one from the professor I did full-time research with for 2 years but didn't take a class with???).

Members don't see this ad :)

How is asking for a non science letter stupidly specific?

Yea...so...uh...medicine isn't all about science and knowledge ya know...

Individual letters are fine. I didn't have a committee so I just used 3 science letters (one from a PI). This disqualified me from some schools (non-science or 4-letter requirements) but it was fine at most. And I only sent two letters to some schools, including the one that accepted me.

I would recommend getting that non-science letter if possible though.

It is only an issue if your school does a packet and you opt out. Even then it can be as simple as answering a question on the secondary.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using SDN mobile