Is it better to submit with 1 school now and add later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kill00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Mcat scores come out in 3 weeks and I am about to submit my primary. I can apply to 15 schools for free.

Will I have any advantage if I add schools right now that I'm unsure about as opposed to adding them when I receive my scores?

Members don't see this ad.

It's fine (and recommended) to submit with 1 school and add the rest later.

There's really no advantage to adding schools right now. A small number of schools (GW comes to mind) sends out their secondary to people before they're verified, but there's no advantage to submitting that secondary before you're verified because you're not going to be considered for an interview until you're verified anyway. :p

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
based on your link you're worried about having 1 lump sum of secondaries to submit. i guess this depends on which stage your selected schools send out secondaries (after submission? after verification? after verification + mcat? after all these + screened? i don't even know where to find this information as it is very vague even in the MSAR. you could add the schools that you KNOW you will apply to (instates probably) in the hopes you get their secondaries earlier, but knowing your MCAT score and then planning accordingly seems to be alright.

anyways, thats what i'm doing. i'm july 2 2014 mcat (1st taken) and submitted primary earlier july and waiting for my MCAT to finalize my list.

I would hold off if I were you. That way, the day you're verified you can have your list of schools that you intend on applying to if your score is within a certain range. Build a couple lists for multiple score scenarios; you should have some cross-over as well with maybe a few added reach/dream schools if your score is up there and vice versa if your score is lower. Also, pre-write as many secondaries as possible. This is the best thing you could do now. Good luck op! I hope you're satisfied with your score.

Reactions: 1 user